Clear all

Montage & UR242, panning issues in Cubase 8.5

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Emanuel
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

I use Montage & UR242 and I'm currently experiencing a VSTi panning challenge in my Cubase 8.5 projects. Whenever I try to pan right or left any VSTi I do get a slightly sound modification, which resembles to a surround perspective modification instead of a classical stereo right or left panning modification. I have this issue from both the studio monitors plugged into the UR rear outputs and the headphones front output of the UR audio interface.

While trying to understand what happens I have noticed that if I open Cubase while Montage is off, I'm able correctly send the sound to the left of right channel.
I have checked my Cubase/Devices/Device Setup/VST Audio System and I have "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO, which should be the UR242 driver in use. But I have also noticed that the Montage Master Volume slider is also controlling the volume, so in the end what is the audio interface that Cubase is using? The UR242 or the one inside the Montage?

Anyone has any idea on how could I solve this panning VSTi issue inside of Cubase, while Montage is on?

This is my current setup: I have plugged my Montage (fw version 1.60.1) to the Win 10 64bit PC through the USB cord. I'm outputing the Montage audio through two mono audio cables from the synth's R&L outputs into the UR242 front 1&2 inputs. The UR uses Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.10 and TOOLS_for_UR242_V103_Win64. And finally the Cubase version is 8.5.30

Thank you!

Posted : 24/10/2017 8:14 am
Bad Mister

I have checked my Cubase/Devices/Device Setup/VST Audio System and I have "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO, which should be the UR242 driver in use. But I have also noticed that the Montage Master Volume slider is also controlling the volume, so in the end what is the audio interface that Cubase is using? The UR242 or the one inside the Montage?

Noth Devices can use this driver. You are on a Windows PC so *you* will need to tell your setup which device you want to use as your principal Audio Interface (on a PC, there can be only one). The principal device is the one you connect to your monitoring system.

Many Yamaha and Steinberg products use this driver... from simple stereo audio interfaces to 32 and 34 audio systems like the MONTAGE Synth and TF digital mixers

DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > VST AUDIO SYSTEM > Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO > click to open the β€œControl Panel”

You should see four tabs:
One for MONTAGE
One for the UR242
One labeled ASIO
One labeled ABOUT

Select the tab labeled MONTAGE. Set the Sample Rate for the MONTAGE
Select the tab labeled UR242. Set the same Sample Rate for your UR242
Under the ASIO heading select your AUDIO DEVICE (both will be listed), if you want to use the Steinberg UR242, this is where you select it.
If you want to use the MONTAGE and it’s 32-in/6-out as your interface, you must select it here. There can be only one, on the Windows PC.

In general, the device you select will be responsible for routing audio to your monitor speakers.
Also set the Buffer Size appropriate for your computer system.

ABOUT will tell you the driver version.

Posted : 24/10/2017 11:43 am
Emanuel
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister, thank you for solving all these silly riddles we come with and always restore faith in these fancy Yamaha toys we play with! πŸ™‚

P.S. Indeed, I had to choose the proper device under the "ASIO" tab of the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO Control Panel, which solved the problem!

Posted : 24/10/2017 11:58 am
Bad Mister

You are quite welcome.

Posted : 24/10/2017 1:14 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us