13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello everyone.

I've just bought a secondhand montage
I've downloaded version 2 from the yamaha website. I formatted various USB2 and USB3 devices on the montage itself but cannot update the firmware.
When I go to update pressing cursor up and utility, it just gets stuck on "searching for the updater...NG" Press (INC/YES to retry)
The montage recognises the usb stick in the utilities memory

The file is 8N70OS_.PGM
I have downloaded it a few times on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.4

I'm stuck in this endless loop. I am currently on OS 1.51.1

Thankyou

Attached files

Posted : 30/04/2018 4:54 pm
Bad Mister

The file (8N70OS_.PGM) must be in the root directory (not in a folder) on that USB stick.

Posted : 30/04/2018 6:33 pm
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

The file must be in the root directory (not in a folder) on that USB stick.

Thank you for your reply! It isn’t in a folder. The file is just by itself. Is that what do you mean?

Posted : 30/04/2018 6:35 pm
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

To be clear, the file is in the root directory. There is nothing else on the USB stick and it isn’t in a folder

Posted : 30/04/2018 6:42 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello C (?) - the USB must be USB 2 and NOT USB 3, nor must it be one of those that has a pre-programmed data filing system built into it. A plain old USB2 of 2Gb is fine - I keep one just for updates. Given that and it being alone on the USB, Montage will see it and run it. I don't think it matters what platform you download on. I assume the previous owner hasn't done Something Awful ...

Posted : 30/04/2018 7:21 pm
 C
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you for that advice

I found an old USB drive and didn’t format it in the montage and it worked first time
I’m all updated

I’ve only had my montage for one day but I have been following this forum. I must say.... there are some wonderful helpful people here. It’s an honour to be part of a forum with the great Bad Mister

Posted : 30/04/2018 7:39 pm

Hello C (?) - the USB must be USB 2 and NOT USB 3, nor must it be one of those that has a pre-programmed data filing system built into it. A plain old USB2 of 2Gb is fine - I keep one just for updates. Given that and it being alone on the USB, Montage will see it and run it. I don't think it matters what platform you download on. I assume the previous owner hasn't done Something Awful ...

I met the same problem.
The solution is change another brand U-disk. The failed reason is not USB2 or USB3.
I have 2 U-disks from different manufacture. The first one is the same as C. NG message all the time.
I got succeeded with the second one.
The two U-disks are both USB3.

Posted : 25/05/2018 6:18 am
Bad Mister

If your USB Stick has COPY PROTECTION Software on it, contact the maker of the USB Stick and ask for the COPY PROTECTION software Removal Tool.

You cannot simply format a USB stick that has COPY PROTECTION software embedded... (That wouldn't be any kind of protection if you could)... it must be forcibly removed with another piece of software.

COPY PROTECTION = MUSIC PREVENTION

Do not pay extra for Copy Protected USB sticks... the simpler the better.
Also you do not have to FORMAT them - they typically come ready to use! (Just FYI...) the instruction suggest that just to cover all bases.

Posted : 25/05/2018 12:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I haven't had any issues thus far by purchasing the lowest capacity, lowest price USB sticks. There is a published list of USB devices which have been tested as working. Low price at a retail store - not lowest price I can find from an online source. This generally ensures there will not be fancy multi-partitions, backup software, and other things that can trip up Montage installed on the stick. Low capacity ensures older memory technology that will keep from running into something new the Montage OS isn't prepared to "see". Note that there may be a difference in the capabilities of Montage while booting in firmware update mode than when running the full operating system (addressing the "I can see it on Montage in the XYZ menu, but firmware update is still saying NG" thing).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/downloads.html

"Compatible Device List for MONTAGE" under "Other Downloads".

Posted : 25/05/2018 1:57 pm

How did you fix this issue? Because i am currently going through this right now

Posted : 17/11/2019 3:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

796 times out of 797 times the fix folks have used is digging up a different USB stick and retrying the correct steps to place the .PGM (firmware file) on the USB stick.

The one other time someone solves it by doing something more complicated than that - and could have also solved it by getting a new USB stick.

Slight exaggeration - as certainly maybe there's a handful who don't place the right files in the right spot. Or don't press the right buttons at the right time to get the process started. But I think you likely have those figured out.

Posted : 17/11/2019 6:57 pm

I ran into the same issue, except I was updating to 3.0. I have windows on my Mac for work reason. So I did the update on the windows side of my laptop and it worked I used usb 3. I bought mine brand new. But when I try and make new music the UI is different and having issues

Posted : 10/12/2019 12:13 am
Bad Mister

See your other post.

Posted : 10/12/2019 2:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us