Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage works in song mode as in motif xf?

14 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Sergio
Topic starter

Hello everyone! I am more than happy to have this incredible machine that is the Montage in my hands.

I'm still venturing into it and understanding its programming structure. Before him I had a MOTIF XF. And I'm here because I'm having trouble finding a feature that I used extensively on the MOTIF XF.

To have the transition between uncut sounds I used my multiparts project within "SONG MODE", so I could change sounds without any cuts.
So far so good, because that I was able to do in MONTAGE performance, in exactly the same way. But in the MOTIF XF I could "add" the tracks within the song mode through the midi chanel, I will exemplify below:

MOTIF XF - SONG MODE:

Track 1: Piano => Midi Receiver Ch: 01
Track 2: Rhodes => Midi Receiver Ch: 02
Track 3: Strings => Midi Receiver Ch: 03
Track 4: Piano => Midi Receiver Ch: 04
Track 5: Ep. Piano => Midi Receiver Ch: 04
Track 6: Organ => Midi Receiver Ch: 06
Track 7: Synth => Midi Receiver Ch: 07
Track 8: Synth (-12) => Midi Receiver Ch: 07
Track 9: Brass 01 => Midi Receiver Ch: 09
Track 10: Brass 02 => Midi Receiver Ch: 09
Track 11: Sax Sect => Midi Receiver Ch: 09

This is one of the multiparts projects I had on the MOTIF XF, Montage could not get this result, could anyone help me with that.

Thank you so much.

Posted : 12/09/2017 1:20 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You cannot set the incoming MIDI channel per PART on Montage. Therefore, you'll have to spread out the channels.

PART1=midi ch1 (piano)
PART2=midi ch2 (rhodes)
PART11=midi ch11 (sax sect)

Montage only has performance mode. 16 PARTs can be externally controlled by your DAW or an external MIDI device (synth, etc). MIDI input has a choice of all routed to a single channel (of your choice) or fixed to a 1:1 mapping of PART number = MIDI channel number.

So refactor your channelization for Montage and possibly double-up your MIDI parts so the same part is copied to multiple MIDI channels.

I'm not sure what's driving your Montage (a MIDI device or a DAW) -- above assumes a DAW. Similar advice if using a MIDI device - but then it becomes specific to the device how to accomplish this.

Posted : 12/09/2017 4:08 pm
Bad Mister

MOTIF XF - SONG MODE:

Track 1: Piano => Midi Receiver Ch: 01
Track 2: Rhodes => Midi Receiver Ch: 02
Track 3: Strings => Midi Receiver Ch: 03
Track 4: Piano => Midi Receiver Ch: 04
Track 5: Ep. Piano => Midi Receiver Ch: 04
Track 6: Organ => Midi Receiver Ch: 06
Track 7: Synth => Midi Receiver Ch: 07
Track 8: Synth (-12) => Midi Receiver Ch: 07
Track 9: Brass 01 => Midi Receiver Ch: 09
Track 10: Brass 02 => Midi Receiver Ch: 09
Track 11: Sax Sect => Midi Receiver Ch: 09

Are you mixing up TRACK with PART? This setup makes very little sense to me for a Motif XF... It reads like you have two different TRACKS feeding channel 4, two different TRACKS feeding channel 2, and three different TRACKS feeding channel 9.

Is that true? While you can do this on a MOTIF XF, it seems very, very strange to record different data for the same receiving Part... (?)

Try to straighten out what it is you want to do and where you want to do it. The MONTAGE does not have a SONG mode or a traditional Sequencer like the Motif XF. You can however, play and record multi-Part instruments mixed with single Part instruments into your favorite DAW if it is capable of setting up to record multiple selected channels... because your MONTAGE can transmit on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously. You setup so that each Part you wish to play has a corresponding Track to receive (discreetly) the data for that particular Part.

For example, using Cubase Pro 9 you could create such a setup... see this article for how to go about setting that up:
https://yamahasynth.com/resources/montage-and-cubase-pro-9-workflow

Posted : 13/09/2017 1:22 pm
Sergio
Topic starter

What I'd like to do at Montage is something I've learned right here. follow the link for you to understand:

Posted : 15/09/2017 2:19 am
Bad Mister

Try this two part article on the MONTAGE:
https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/performance-basics-and-the-live-set-1

https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/performance-basics-and-the-live-set-ii

It includes a Download with examples. If you get stuck or have further questions, post back here.

Posted : 15/09/2017 6:11 am
Sergio
Topic starter

I had read this article before. But I confess I was a little disappointed with the limitation of the function kbd ctrl, since by performance I only have a layer or a split, even though I can use 8 parts so I can not for example have in the same performance a situation that does not xf was very simple to do, like;

Performance: "SetGig's"

1 piano + 1 strings in layer
1 piano + 1 EP also in layer
2 accordeons in splits
1 Sax Sect + 1 Brass Sect + 1 Brass Sect (-12) in layer

That's what I'd like to do. The only way I've seen to do this is to take each situation above as a performance and use the Live set.

I also tried to work with splits using the A.SW keys but I did not succeed I believe until I have found a bug with this function, but this will be the subject of another topic that I will do.

Anyway thanks for the information !!

Posted : 15/09/2017 11:44 am
Sergio
Topic starter

I do not know the way to the suggestion regarding the addition of resources in future firmware, but what I'm wanting to do would be totally possible if the scenes recorded the changes to "KBD CTRL", because using the scenes to do that now generates cuts in the sound the result is not satisfactory.

Posted : 15/09/2017 12:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Montage doesn't do everything Motif could. If you're ok with selecting a single part out of 16 to play (instead of a group) then this can be accomplished by turning keyboard control OFF for all 16 parts then using part select to play one PART with the piano keys.

Posted : 15/09/2017 2:23 pm
Bad Mister

Sergio, you may need to just find different ways to accomplish your goal. I'm not quite clear on what you are not seeing about how to accomplish your goal in MONTAGE. If your conclusion is that MONTAGE is different from Motif XF, that's correct, and one reason there was a name change (name changes are not cosemetic and are expensive)... but there are certainly many more ways to accomplish setups in the MONTAGE than there were in the XF. So I cannot agree with the conclusion that it can't be accomplished.

When I'm in my studio next I will visit this issue for you and offer you some options. I've been building more complex Performances than your example with some success. Don't give up quite yet! And if multiple Performance are necessary that's an option with over 5000 Performance locations shouldn't be a problem.

When I wrote the article you referenced above, that was a setup designed for Motif XF. Since MONTAGE is a different architecture the approach to solving the problem will naturally be different.

Here's something to ponder about how the XF and MONTAGE differ: the Parts linked by the KBD CTRL function can all be controlled simultaneously- this does not necessarily mean they have to sound together. You can control the way that they behave (when they sound) in several ways. They are linked by the function of the keyboard transmitting, not by a setup where you linked by tone generator receiving (XF).

In the Motif XF when you entered a SEQUENCER mode you were literally transmitting from the Keys through the Track to the Tone Generator. So it was possible to assign multiple Parts to the same Receive Channel - making it possible to link several Parts to play together. The MONTAGE does not have a Sequencer through which you are transmitting. The Motif XF only transmitted on a single channel in Song/Pattern modes - you had to stack sounds on the current Transmit Channel in order to play multiple Parts.

The MONTAGE transmits on multiple channels, so necessarily the setup would be completely different. You link Parts by the KBD CTRL function (a Transmit function)... the KBD CTRL linked Parts each can be addressed individually via MONTAGE's Super Knob and AssignKnob system- which allows you to address each Part individually, and directly.

When you placed two Parts on the same MIDI Receive Channel (as in the XF) when you moved the volume pedal both Parts would necessarily change in a similar fashion - or you could set one of them to ignore the command. That was your option.

When you link two Parts in MONTAGE you don't do it using a sequencer, you do it by activating KBD CTRL. You can now independently assign a direct Volume control to each Part. You can literally *design* how each changes... instead of just linear control, you can have one fade in while the other fades out initially as you move the SK pedal and back in later in the movement of the SK pedal. You can then link a third and have it fade in, then out and back in again, all with the same gesture.

Scenes remember settings of the Tone Generator (same as on the XF), not anything to do with transmitting from the keyboard.

Point being, each Part is not "forced" into a behavior due to the fact it's on the same channel as the others - you can address each Part directly by parameter change controls. So instead of stacking Parts on a channel, you have multiple transmit options... which open more opportunities.
You've selected to try this with the XA CONTROL (interesting choice) it maybe useful for this but this is certainly not the only way.

The Super Knob, being a global controller, can influence all 16 Parts simultaneously- a single gesture moving from minimum to maximum can do different things to each of the 16 Parts. Each Part has its own eight Assign Knobs, Part AssignKnobs are like a mini Super Knob for the Part in which it exists. Any of the 16 Parts can have any of their eight AssignKnobs linked to a Super Knob controlled Assign Knob. Yes!
The Scene function is also a global control - able to influence all 16 Parts simultaneously.

So you need to think from the other side (Transmit rather than Receive) that's what's different about MONTAGE.

Link the sounds you want to play, then *program* them to behave as you require. It will be a combination of sounds linked via KBD CTRL, MUTE status (via Scenes), even direct control of Part level, and perhaps Assignable Switches. Since you have nine Parts you want to control one or more may have to be selected by touching its [PART SELECT] button directly.

Anyway, I'll visit this and your bug report when I get back on the ground (it's great they have Wifi on planes now!)

Talk to you later.

Posted : 15/09/2017 4:36 pm
Sergio
Topic starter

Once again thank you very much for the support!
Just a correction, I did not say that it is not possible to do what I want in Montage, I just wanted to say that it is not possible to do as I did in Motif XF.

I understand that this is a new conception of programming and that is why I am seeking your help, to try to better understand all the possibilities and to make sure I can get the expected result.

Regardless of the form that will be used to succeed in the suggested programming, what I think is more important is that in switching from one combination to another of sounds there should be no cut in sound. So the only way I found was to save several performances and use the "Live Set" mode to make the combinations changes.

But I find it a "waste" of programming to do this. A performance with a layer of "Piano + Strings", another with a layer of "Brass", another with a split of "Piano + Strings" and so on. I could get these 3 situations within a schedule that in case the Motif XF was within the "Song mode". I am exemplifying a simple programming to understand my need.

But come on, present me a way to get this result without there being cuts in the sound in the change of combination to another within the same performance.

1. Layer: Piano + Strings (2 Parts)
2. Layer: Big Band Sax + Brass Sec + Big Band (3 Parts)
3. Split: Piano + Strings (2 Parts)

Using the A.SW keys this should be possible but the "bug" (apparently) does not deliver this result to me.

I look forward to your consideration! Hug!

Posted : 15/09/2017 5:27 pm
Sergio
Topic starter

With the bug solved I was able to get the result of the above example using the "A.SW" keys, but if there is another way to do it would be very nice to know !!

The performance with this schedule is attached so that you can better evaluate my goal.

Posted : 15/09/2017 6:23 pm
Sergio
Topic starter

With the bug solved I was able to get the result of the above example using the "A.SW" keys, but if there is another way to do it would be very nice to know !!

The performance with this schedule is attached so that you can better evaluate my goal.

Attached files

Set Gig (Demo).zip (9 KB) 

Posted : 15/09/2017 6:23 pm
Bad Mister

MONTAGE and Motif XF
What's similar and what's different.

There are several ways to approach moving seamlessly between instruments on the MONTAGE. This discussion began with the Motif XF concept of using a Song/Pattern Mixing setup to construct several sounds for quick (seamless) access.

The Motif XF and MONTAGE share the AWM2 engine concept of as many as eight Elements can be used to create a playable instrument sound. In the XF this was called a VOICE. An XF Voice could be played alone. When you wanted to play it or use in combination with other instruments, you placed it in an entity called a PART. In a PERFORMANCE you addressed four Parts simultaneously, in SONG/PATTERN MIXING each Part was addressed by a Track of the sequencer. Since you only transmitting on a single channel to play multiple sounds in MIXING you needed to stack Parts on a MIDI Channel.

In the MONTAGE you simply create a PART. And while what was called a VOICE in the XF, is, in effect, a PART in the MONTAGE, there is a significant difference in how routing is addressed when multiple Parts are involved.

When you setup a Song/Pattern MIXING Program in the Motif XF, you were initially transmitting from the keyboard to one Part at a time. When you moved to record in the Sequencer mode, (Song or Pattern), the XF keys transmit through the sequencer track to the tone generator. This is always the paradigm for using a MIDI sequencer: you place the MIDI Track *between* the keyboard and the tone generator. It is the sequencer Track that determines the channel the data is routed on when going to the tone generator.

The MONTAGE does not have a Sequencer. Therefore, the routing scenario is quite a bit different.

In a nutshell:
With the Motif XF, the keyboard transmitted to a single Track; in order to layer two sounds you would set the MIDI Receive channel of two Tone Generator PARTs to the same channel, the channel that was associated with the Track. Layering in the XF is a function of the tone generator receiving.

With MONTAGE, the keyboard transmits on multiple MIDI channels, simultaneously, there is no Sequencer Track involved in the routing; in order to layer two sounds you would setup to transmit to each on its own. Layering on the MONTAGE is a function of the keyboard transmitting.

And beyond:
And where MONTAGE goes beyond the Motif XF is that instead of limiting the number of AWM2 Elements to create an instrument sound to eight for a Normal AWM2 sound, you can break that limitation by "+" adding another Part that you can "link" via KBD CTRL, into a playable entity. This means you can use another eight Elements for each Part slot you ADD in building a Normal AWM2 instrument. A maximum of eight Parts can be "linked" like this. This means it's up to you as programmer, whether the Part is used as a complete instrument sound or as just a portion of the whole sound (special articulation - used to build a mega-sound).

Back on the XF, you could create a two Part Layer by setting the MIDI Receive channel of both Parts to channel 1; then when you selected Track 1 both tone generator Parts would sound.

On MONTAGE, you place each eight Element AWM2 sound in its own Part, (Part 1 and 2) and you activate KBD CTRL so you then are transmitting to each. There is no Track to transmit through. The keyboard sends data in separate streams to each Part. Multiple transmit...

Now to the construction of these quick examples...
An Element is the basic building component within an AWM2 sound. It includes all the components to be a complete instrument on its own. It has a Waveform (Oscillator), it has its own Filters, it has its own Envelope Generator, it is a complete signal path for an instrument. You can use an Element as a complete sound or as one building component in making a mega-sound.

An example of a single Element as a "complete sound" is the string orchestra Program "Ens Mix" this is made from a single stereo sample of the entire string orchestra, (includes violins, violas, cellos, contrabasses), mapped as a single Stereo Element. This is one of the 1353 Motif XF sounds that makes up the backbone of the MONTAGE Factory set.

The type of Waveform is excellent for use in layering; when building sounds in AWM2 you often need a composite string layer. It is the same main building block found in the (5Element) Single Part MONTAGE Performance "St Ensemble K" used by Sergio - this Part uses the same Stereo Element Waveform plus a String Mute Waveform of the Stereo orchestra, and hard bow version, a full Brass Section (brought in by the Mod Wheel), and an orchestral Bell. Point being, the Element structure itself can be complete or partial instruments, and the Part therefore can be made up of several instrument sounds layered...

This you understand, is where the XA CONTROL (introduced in the Motif XS back in 2007) most effectively allows the performer to switch between Waveforms, yet remain sonically "invisible" (without any cutoff). XA CONTROL is designed to be a method of changing musical articulation during performing... so glitch-free is in its design DNA. By expanding the number of Elements at your call, the MONTAGE allows you bring in specific articulations, on demand.

Alternate method include the first example attached below:

"layer/split/brass123"
Part Select buttons 1-2-3 will give you Piano/Strings Layered, Piano/Strings Split, and Horns, respectively

Part 1 is six Elements; 5 are Piano ("S700 for Montage" ) and the 1 Element string orchestra "Ens Mix" layered across the keys
Part 2 is the same 5 Element Piano split at C4 with the "Ens Mix"
Parts 3, 4 and 5 are the Brass Section, Big Band, and Sax Parts "linked" via KBD CTRL

Only the three Horn Section Parts are active when you recall this Performance.
(Please use MONTAGE CONNECT to bulk this example to your instrument's Edit Buffer.)

To play the "S700+EnsMix" across all keys, press [PART SELECT 1]
Use the MW to fade strings up in volume, use Velocity to make piano louder in respect to the strings.

To play the "S700/EnsMix" as a split at "C4", press [PART SELECT 2]
Switching between PARTs of the same Performance is always sonically seamless. You can manually hold the previous Part or hold it with a sustain pedal, then switch and play the new sound. You can hold the old sound manually by hand, switch and use the sustain pedal on the new sound.

To play the Horn 3-Part creation, simply touch any of these (linked) buttons:
[PART SELECT 3], [PART SELECT 4], [PART SELECT 5], or [COMMON]
You can understand because these three Parts are linked by the KBD CTRL function, they are the sounds grouped to play together... On MONTAGE, all NON-KBD CTRL Parts of the Performance are selectable as individuals (on the XF all Parts were selectable as individuals) by directly selecting them.

When playing the KBD CTRL horns, the Ribbon will close the Filter (Cutoff) on the left side, and as you swipe right you open the Filter (Cutoff) of the "Brass Section" in Part 4.

This is just a quick example of how the multiple sounds could be brought together in a single Performance and made available for switching between without cutting off the sound, ever. You can move between PARTS - I defaulted this Performance so the [PART CONTROL] button allows you access to Part selection.

EXAMPLE #2

"Piano & Str & Brs"
This one is a variation on the same theme. Started from the "Piano & Strings" Single Part Performance (originally a Voice in the Motif XF) made from four Piano Waveforms and four String Waveforms. This eight Element sound, adds the dimension that when Part 1 is selected, the Super Knob all the way down gives you Piano alone, by the time you have raised it to 12 o'clock you have both piano and strings layers.

The strings here are more of the "background" variety strings... as opposed to ones you use for melody (while the "Ens Mix" could be used to play a string line; these "background" type strings are better for held chords).

In this second example Part 1 has its Assign Knob 1 set to control Element Level for Elements 5, 6, 7 and 8 (the strings), and the Part 1 Assign Knob is linked on the upper COMMON level of the Performance to the Super Knob's Assign Knob 1.

By involving the Assign Knobs and Super Knob, we have a seamless way to play solo piano, fade in strings or even preset a volume at which to have them instantly come in. We can then select, without any interruption of the sound, to switch to a split version of the same two sounds... and at any time while holding the piano and strings we can select the horn section and begin to play it.

We just want to point out that while the Motif-series constructed its ability to play several Part simultaneously by using the keyboard to transmit via a Track, which was set to one specific channel, to the tone generator... meaning you placed multiple Parts to receive the one channel the XS/XF Transmitted On.

MONTAGE has no sequencer in the mix, you transmit from the keyboard to each tone generator Part with its own discreet customizable message path. This is the new door, and the thinking that you are asked to get your head around. New possibilities and far more functional control.

Layering in the new system breaks away from the layer just being and behaving exactly like the original sound. You can now address the layered Part as if it was an entirely independent entity... because, indeed, it might just be! I can direct Channel messages which can do different things to different Parts under my immediate control, and only recall them only when I want to recall them.

Attached files

LayerSplitBrass123.X7B.zip (8.5 KB)  Piano&Str&Brs.X7B.zip (9.8 KB) 

Posted : 19/09/2017 3:05 am
Sergio
Topic starter

I was a little absent because of the work but I could not fail to thank the help.

What really happens is that I will have to think differently to solve my programming needs.

I see that with some feature enhancements Montage will indeed be on the way to being an unbeatable synthesizer. But at the present time there are many factors pros and also many factors against Montage.

It is up to each user to assess their needs to see if Montage can fully serve you. Today he answers me with some difficulty.

Of course I'm just referring to the programming part. The sounds of Montage are very good! In fact, that's a big point in his favor.

I will hope that there will be a commitment of the engineers responsible for the next firmwares in adding resources to facilitate the use of this machine!

Grateful!

Posted : 11/10/2017 3:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us