4 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Check it out!

Posted : 22/05/2020 4:58 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Nice to be able to automate the SuperKnob!

However, after going through @Bad Mister 's video 'Mastering MONTAGE 12: Motion Sequence', near the end you said, regarding the Motion Sequencer: "It can be any parameter that you think about. You can automate anything. I could have this turn on a switch 24 measures into the song I'm playing"
https://youtu.be/sMpdwoFQ1AE?list=PLbPXhs3J3MiBO0BB2eEEoOMhqG22ua1Mh

I checked out all the available destination parameters and don't see any that would allow me to turn on a switch like the Assign1 or 2 buttons, etc. Maybe I misunderstood what was meant by switch!?

Posted : 11/06/2020 10:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

So others don't have to fish for the reference, below skips to the quote:

https://youtu.be/sMpdwoFQ1AE?list=PLbPXhs3J3MiBO0BB2eEEoOMhqG22ua1Mh&t=901

... the video (and other tutorials/information) talks about over 250 destinations. That's true - but 128 of those destinations are used for the PART assignable knobs - which are only available to the Common Level as a means of connecting common assignable knobs to the PART level assignable knobs. These are not parameters that, themselves, will change any sound. More of intermediate infrastructure. So not all of these 251 destination parameters are created equal. And that these 120-ish parameters left over represent "anything" is an overstatement as plenty of parameters are not included in the controller box destinations. Yes, it's a lot - but more like a good collection of "best of" parameters - not everything.

You're right "switch", in the video, cannot mean Assignable Switches 1 or 2 - these aren't destinations. The only controllers you can control are the assignable knob and superknob (superknob automation) using this part of the system.

ARPs with controller data can turn on/off assignable switches - so that system may be better for automating assignable switch control.

Posted : 12/06/2020 12:21 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

ARPs with controller data can turn on/off assignable switches - so that system may be better for automating assignable switch control.

Thanks @Jason So ARPs could do it if needed, for on/off assignable switches. The next thing I am going to attempt is to get ARPs with controller data recorded/modified via a DAW...Is that even possible? It's been a while since I attempted modifying and importing .mid file to get an ARP working, but I didn't have much success via first attempts many months ago, and I wonder if it's only possible via the Montage recording and not via a DAW!?

Posted : 12/06/2020 3:07 am
Bad Mister

I checked out all the available destination parameters and don't see any that would allow me to turn on a switch like the Assign1 or 2 buttons, etc. Maybe I misunderstood what was meant by switch!?

A Switch changes the setting of a parameter. You can use a Motion Sequence Lane to change the setting of a parameter.

You are looking to press a switch, that is why you can’t find what you’re looking for. Say moving the MW changes a parameter... don’t look for something to move the MW, look instead to change the parameter that the MW is assigned to change... then assign that task to the Motion Sequence Lane.

Say the Assign Switch 1 changes the Reverb Send amount, when using the Motion Sequence Lane, don’t look to push the Assign Switch, rather look to address the Reverb Send parameter. It’s that simple and that complex.

You can determine how the parameter changes in spectacular detail... controlling how it changes when it changes, whether it continues to change (loop) or happens once when triggered (one shot). You can manually trigger it with a KeyOn event or have it start and count referencing the tempo... what the video is trying to get you to think about is a Motion Sequence is like an ‘arpeggiator’ for parameter change (instead of note phrases, it is automating changes in parameters).

The next thing I am going to attempt is to get ARPs with controller data recorded

You should try a Motion Sequence. A Motion Sequence is like an ‘arpeggiator’ for parameter change (instead of note phrases, it is automating changes in parameters).
They are always applied in real time.

Recording controller data to an Arp will limit you to the standard cc numbers, while Motion Sequences offers, yes, 251 possible parameter Destinations... you will not need them all but the one you need is likely available.

Posted : 12/06/2020 11:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't know what Darryl is cooking up - but there are a couple different things that Assignable Switches can do. One "mode" is that assignable switches can be source controllers to offset parameters (destinations). This usage of assignable switches can be completely replaced/transferred to motion sequence since you can just swap out A.SW1 or A.SW2 as the source controller and use an MS Lane instead. Another "mode" of the assignable switches is to participate in XA (eXpanded Articulation). The XA control feature of assignable switches isn't something that can be replaced by using MS Lanes to offset parameters. Because XA control use of A.SW1/2 is not related to parameter values.

For refactoring XA control: you may be able to get close by using element level - but this would be a "mute" style hard cutoff rather than the "keyboard control" style where currently sounding elements would continue to sound - but just new piano key presses would not trigger new notes.

Posted : 12/06/2020 7:29 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Thanks for the clarifications @Bad Mister & @Jason !

I have a couple of things/goals I'd like to be able to do if they are even possible, and they involve being able to tweak midi recorded data in ProTools, save as a .mid file and have it play on the Montage as either a Song &/or an ARP:

1. I would like to start on the Montage to create my own ARP, but then either save it as a .mid file & import into ProTools to tweak it. Or just record the ARP as midi data in ProTools directly, then tweak it. After I have made all the modifications to the various things like velocity, notes, etc. in ProTools, I would like to then be able to save as a .mid file, import it back into the Montage as an ARP (not sure if that's even possible, as I struggled to make it work that way in the past), and be able to use my "ProTools tweaked ARP" like any other ARP.

2. I would like to record midi data from the Montage for an entire Song, including Pressing the Assign1 & 2 buttons, as well as move the SuperKnob; however I don't know if those can be saved as midi data in ProTools. I've done this for several songs in the past whereby I've tweaked & adjusted pitch bend, the mod wheel, aftertouch, velocity, etc., and it worked perfectly! But I never tried other things like the Assign buttons, etc. I suppose the easiest thing is to just experiment and try, which I will unless it's a known fact that the midi data for those things can't be recorded in a DAW..!?

Posted : 13/06/2020 4:20 pm
Bad Mister

1. I would like to start on the Montage to create my own ARP, but then either save it as a .mid file & import into ProTools to tweak it. Or just record the ARP as midi data in ProTools directly, then tweak it. After I have made all the modifications to the various things like velocity, notes, etc. in ProTools, I would like to then be able to save as a .mid file, import it back into the Montage as an ARP (not sure if that's even possible, as I struggled to make it work that way in the past), and be able to use my "ProTools tweaked ARP" like any other ARP.

Totally possible. Any data recorded to the MONTAGE sequencer can be directly imported to your DAW, either by dragging and dropping its icon via MONTAGE CONNECT or by saving the sequence data as .mid file(s) to USB stick and moved to your computer that way.

2. I would like to record midi data from the Montage for an entire Song, including Pressing the Assign1 & 2 buttons, as well as move the SuperKnob; however I don't know if those can be saved as midi data in ProTools. I've done this for several songs in the past whereby I've tweaked & adjusted pitch bend, the mod wheel, aftertouch, velocity, etc., and it worked perfectly! But I never tried other things like the Assign buttons, etc. I suppose the easiest thing is to just experiment and try, which I will unless it's a known fact that the midi data for those things can't be recorded in a DAW..!?

Assign Switch buttons send Out a MIDI CC message that is as easy to record as a MW or Sustain pedal. All direct manipulation of any controller is recordable via MIDI. What is not recordable is indirect controller movement — as when MONTAGE automation (by way of MSeq) is applying change. MSeqs are triggered when you play back the data that is used to trigger them.

Posted : 13/06/2020 5:55 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Thanks @Bad Mister !
Sounds like I have some playing to do, but everything is possible...the Montage is a Beast!! 😀

Posted : 13/06/2020 11:46 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Good news...I noticed that I can now record PART1 to Midi1 in ProTools, which I could not do prior to OS3.5 🙂
Must be the new Remote DAW settings functionality that was added in 3.5

Question on recording a song via midi in ProTools.
If I record SuperKnob movement, should I only do that in one Midi channel associated to 1 particular active PART?

Posted : 08/07/2020 3:06 pm
Bad Mister

Good news...I noticed that I can now record PART1 to Midi1 in ProTools, which I could not do prior to OS3.5 🙂
Must be the new Remote DAW settings functionality that was added in 3.5

No. That’s not the reason. People have been recording to Track 1 for four years now.

Question on recording a song via midi in ProTools.
If I record SuperKnob movement, should I only do that in one Midi channel associated to 1 particular active PART?

The Super
Knob, by the nature of its control messages can address any and all 16 Parts, simultaneously.

The message that the Super Knob sends is either going to be a CC NUMBER or Sysex Data, depending on your setting.

Although the data is sent Out on MIDI Channel 1, it addresses All MONTAGE Parts simultaneously.

Posted : 08/07/2020 9:35 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

No. That’s not the reason. People have been recording to Track 1 for four years now.

Interesting. Nothing changed on my ProTools, so maybe I have a global setting that was causing the issue with Track1 and the 3.5 Update set everything back to defaults, fixing my issue, I am guessing!? Anyway, it's working now, so all good!

The Super Knob, by the nature of its control messages can address any and all 16 Parts, simultaneously.
The message that the Super Knob sends is either going to be a CC NUMBER or Sysex Data, depending on your setting.
Although the data is sent Out on MIDI Channel 1, it addresses All MONTAGE Parts simultaneously.

I'm not sure what the exact answer is from all of that, as I don't speak MIDI/CC NUMBER lingo all that well, but I'm guessing using Channel 1 for the SuperKnob in ProTools would be my safest bet..!?

Posted : 17/07/2020 3:08 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Assuming multi-channel MIDI and using the usual settings - Superknob (SN) needs to be captured and automated using MIDI channel 1. That's the way SN works at the MIDI level.

Posted : 20/07/2020 8:56 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us