Clear all

MOTIF XF PERFORMANCE X7L. Library. X7U USER FILES

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Which is best place to put these. I dont have any user files or Library Files that I put in. The only addition is 2.0 Update and Bosendorfer Piano which the update wiped away. I am gun shy now to load these. But I do want them. It took all day to get Bosendorfer back in short of walking to Austria. I ate enough megabytes to fill a Hippo. I'm ready to hear some Motif XF Performances on this Montage!!!!!!

Posted : 12/02/2018 2:35 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sorry to see you struggle with the basics.

Sounds like you didn't make an X7A backup which is recommended.

Even so if all you needed to do is load a single library it's just as simple.

Hope you can get some satisfaction out of your instrument as it seems to be a source of frustration for you.

Posted : 12/02/2018 5:40 am
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the sympathy but I am very confused. I was told the update would wipe away all user data. But that the Bosendorfer was not to be affected. Now since it was affected I should have made a back up. But it looks like a vicious non ending cycle because everything I try to put in will be wiped off by the next thing. When will it end. I Have .X7L Motif Xf Library Files if I install this to a Library is it going to wipe my Bosendorfer out again? Or Where is Bosendorfer loaded to?

Thanks JASON for all your help. If I can get these XF FILES in I will be such a happy little camper.

Posted : 13/02/2018 4:03 am
Stefan

Gary, I personally and others as well have advised to make a backup before upgrading. It’s also in the readme coming with the update.

However since you write that you only had the Bosendorfer loaded, nothing else is changed, the backup is not really required, you can load the Bosendorfer library instead - if you still have the files around.

You can load 8 libraries one after the other without overriding earlier loaded ones. You just have to load them as libraries, not as a user file. There is a selection when you load the file. This is documented very well.

Hope that helps!

Posted : 13/02/2018 6:13 am
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Stefan I will try that. I have bosendorfer on a UBS set aside in case of wipe out. Do user files stay put as long as not downloading anything else? Thanks.

Posted : 13/02/2018 1:34 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Gary - and my sympathies too! Montage takes a while to get used to, as it does things in a logical but off-beat manner. When you downloaded the Bosendorfer it came as a Library File (X7L), so would still be on your computer Download file. I have found that Updates can cause stuff to disappear, so as advised always do a back-up before downloading anything. I never keep User files anywhere but on the Montage - if I save them to USB it is always as a Library file. That way I don't make any mistakes. And yes, your User files will stay put PROVIDED you do not load any User files from the USB. You can load Library files from the USB without losing any of your User files.

When you save to the USB, check the Bank (top left) which defaults to 'Performance' - tap on it and choose 'Library File' from the drop down list - it is a little confusing there, but you choose what you want to save as - which is a Library File.

Posted : 13/02/2018 2:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Nothing on Montage gets wiped unless you tell it to wipe. The cycle can be ended by you.

Assume every firmware update you make will restore Montage to factory condition without any memory such as your user or library content. Firmware updates are operating system re-installs. When you re-install an operating system - everything is wiped. No need to beat a dead horse of what to do before re-installing.

Anything else you do will not wipe anything unless you tell it to. Generally you will see warnings about losing data by going forward.

Take some time to orient yourself. Look at the "mastering montage" article series. Look at videos.

Mastering Montage
https://yamahasynth.com/blog/montage-indepth-programming-series
... includes: https://yamahasynth.com/blog/user-and-library

Videos (not complete - older list):
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/request-training-video-for-montage

Read documentation. Learn what documentation is for what purpose.

Loading libraries to Montage doesn't touch the user space.

Posted : 13/02/2018 4:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us