Clear all

Motion control

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Doug
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Doesn't seem to work on Part Volume. As a workaround, I have used operator volume parameter instead. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted : 30/01/2017 1:48 am
Bad Mister

Doesn't seem to work on Part Volume. As a workaround, I have used operator volume parameter instead. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Perhaps you are confused about exactly what Motion Control is... the very first Performance "CFX + FM EP" is an example of Motion Control controlling Part Volume. Turn the Super Knob (either directly or via FC7 plugged into the Foot Controller 2 jack) to decrease Part volume of the acoustic piano and raise the Part Volume of the electric piano.

Posted : 30/01/2017 1:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

"Motion Control" seems to make its way into a few different phrases which I think can be bit confusing.

The "Motion Control Synthesis Engine" is defined as the combination of AWM2+FM-X synthesis technologies - which also includes all of the superknob/motion sequence/etc. So "Motion Control Synthesis Engine" seems to invoke everything that Montage is.

At least, that's what I get from some presentations and the Yamaha documentation.

There's also just "Motion Control" by itself - without the "Synthesis Engine" part - such as performances that have an "MC" icon (attribute). "MC" meaning "Performance featuring motion control". This is a different form of "Motion Control" because it only means (as defined in the reference manual):

Quick Edit (meaning fixed functions of assignable knobs), Arpeggios, Motion Sequencer, Super Knob, and Knob Auto (meaning automated Super Knob). The "odd man out" seems to be the quick edit part because these do not really automate and are part of legacy controls. Arpeggios as a legacy function can fall in the same boat - but at least Arpeggios are automated and are "woven" into the other motion control items.

So out of the whole mixed bag of things called "Motion Control" (by itself, without the "Synthesis Engine" part) - the following could be used to affect volume:

Arpeggios, Motion Sequencer, Super Knob (under manual control), or Knob Auto (super knob under automated control).

Out of all that which is able to affect the volume - I'm not sure which one you're trying to use to change the volume since there would be different pointers and menu areas to instruct how to get those done depending on what you're trying to do.

Motion Control, covered in pages 28-43 of the reference manual covers lots of ground - so what exactly were you trying to do? "Motion Control doesn't work" casts too wide of a net.

I've used ARPs to change volume, Motion Sequences to change volume, Super Knob to change volume, Knob auto to change volume. They all work, but no idea which door you're trying to walk through.

The most straight forward is Super Knob control of volume - as mentioned previously with the CFX+FM EP serving as an example already programmed for you. If you automate the super knob to make it "move on its own" - this is a second step which starts building your skills at motion sequences because super knob automation uses half of the "apparatus" for constructing a motion sequence. Since ARPs are very similar in the general building blocks as previous Yamaha products (Motif, etc) - those should be familiar if you have dealt with Yamaha pro synth/workstations before. If not, there are "articles" online that cover ARPs. Then Motion Sequence will be the most involved with two levels of programming - the type used for super knob automation along with "control assign" - which is page 89 of the reference manual.

The easiest entry into this would be to program a controller (such as mod wheel, an assignable knob, ribbon, or ...) to control say the volume. Manual control of parameters setup this "control assign" the same way motion sequences do - only the controller will be something physical like the mod wheel instead of the motion sequence program apparatus called an "MS Lane".

Terms, manuals, and all that aside - how about starting with:

"I am trying to do _______. I've already tried ________ and expected _______ to happen, but instead _________ happened."

Posted : 30/01/2017 10:31 am
david
Reputable Member

If you are moving any part of your body while operating the Montage then you are also a "motion control". So in effect, a motion control is controlling a motion control! 🙂

Posted : 30/01/2017 2:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us