Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Motion Sequencer to stop altogether

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Mark

This is really similar to what I have been racking my brain about!

What I want:

A simple "part 2" of a performance to gradually swell in volume and stay at that volume forever till I switch the sound to something new and regardless of what I play.

What happens:
Even with loop set to OFF, key on reset to OFF and even using a "hold pulse" after the volume "standard" ramp pulse... eventually, it will restart with each new keyboard press.

I am not linked to an ARP I am just keeping this very very simple for now and can't get past this. The goal, to switch to a performance that swells in volume when I first start to play with a pad sound, sounds easy but using Motion Sequence it keeps repeating the darn thing. I don't want to have to press the hold button, use the volume controls or knobs, I just want to program it so it knows that's what I want.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!

Montage version 1.60.1
Mark

Posted : 17/09/2017 5:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Before a motion sequence starts, it's waiting for a piano key press to tell it to start.

After a motion sequence completes its cycle (loop off) it goes back to looking for a piano key press to restart.

You're going to have to interrupt this process somehow or not use motion sequence to accomplish the task.

MS is not a flexible programming tool that does anything you want. You have to fit what you're trying to do within the barriers of what it does do.

I'm not sure how slow your ramp is intended to be - but I would accomplish what you're trying to do using an extra FM-X part (background - not sounding - internal use only) with an AEG ramp on that PART and infinite sustain. Then I would use envelope follower as the source to control the volume (ramp). There's still details on when to invoke (start) this. If you didn't have any issue with this part of the process using MS - then it should be settled for envelope follower use as well.

For "does something" and then "stays there forever" tasks - I use envelope follower and infinite sustain.

Posted : 17/09/2017 5:48 pm
 Mark

Thank you, Jason! The best workaround (and probably the only way) I have found is to set this up on a trigger and push the trigger button before I start to play and that way it does perform this task once without repeat.

Would be nice to see a firmware update that has some sort of auto-trigger/key trigger-one-shot function option or something.

I sincerely appreciate the help!

Mark

Posted : 17/09/2017 5:57 pm
Bad Mister

Looking for something else, I found this old thread, sorry I did not chime in a long time ago. There are actually several ways to accomplish the goal sort here: a Motion Sequence that plays once and stops and does not start again (no repeat)...

Motion Sequence: Sync and Sync Part — Super Knob Automation
From the HOME screen, tap “Motion Control” > “Super Knob Auto”
When you associate the Super Knob’s Motion Sequence (Super Knob Auto) to “Sync” = Arp, you can set a Part as the “Sync Part”... assigning that Sync Part an Arpeggio, you can set the Arp to play once, Arp “Loop” = Off, and you can now set a “Note Limit” and/or “Velocity Limit” for the Arp. The Arp “Note Limits” become the limits to trigger both the noted Arpeggio and the Motion Sequence! The Arp “Velocity Limits” address a noted Arpeggio’s trigger point.

You can “hide” the trigger event... Useful when you are playing an intro (or whatever) and want to start the Motion Sequence on the last note of a run or on a specific chord at a specific velocity. Associating the Motion Sequence with an Arp, allows you to set a specific trigger definition.

If the Arp is set to Loop = On, and the Motion Sequence is set to Loop = Off, you will find that the Motion Sequence will restart after one cycle goes by... because the Arp is still running.
However, if the Arp is set so Loop = Off, and the Motion Sequence is also set so Loop is Off, it will play once and stop.
It will stop at 0 if the last Amplitude setting of the Sequence is 0
It will stop at 127 if the last Amplitude setting of the Sequence is 127
It will stop wherever the last Amplitude setting of your MSeq happens to be...

If you are not interested in Note phrases from the Arp, use the “Mute 4/4” Arp Type (#10221) or whatever Mute-Time Signature Arp that works for your situation; with the Key Mode = Direct, that Part can sound what you play while no notes are Arpeggiated.
This allows the sound of the “Sync Part” to be heard... that is your choice.

By selecting a Trigger Event (a Note-On in a specific region of the keyboard range and/or at a specific Velocity) you can prevent subsequent Note-On events from restarting the Motion Sequence. It is possible to play normally without triggering the Arp (+MSeq) by setting the Ranges to suit your playing style.

New Feature added since the time of this thread — KBD CTRL active/inactive can be memorized in a Scene.
Added since the time of this thread (new firmware), you can use Scene memory to deactivate the KBD CTRL on the “Sync Part”, this will disable the Part that is controlling the trigger event for the Arp and associated Motion Sequence. If Note and Velocity Limits don’t work for you, you can deactivate KBD CTRL on your Sync Part.

But always available were the Note Limits of the associated Arp to which you Sync the Motion Sequence.

Part Motion Sequences
When you are working with a Part Motion Sequence the “Sync Part” parameter does not appear because it is the Part itself... you can use the “Sync” = Arp, set the Arp “Key Mode” = Direct, set both Loop parameters to Off, assign a “Mute Arp”... setup (if you are not interested in having a Noted Arpeggio sound). You are given a Velocity Limit range for the MS trigger, you can still use the Limit of the Arp to define a region for the trigger event. If you are applying the motion Sequence to a noted Arpeggio, you can have two different Velocity Ranges (one for the Motion Sequence, the other to trigger both the Arpeggio and the Motion Sequence.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 19/11/2020 4:14 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us