Notifications
Clear all

Moxf6 to Montage 6

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Happy new year all

Is it possible to load my moxf6 backup file onto the Montage?

Thank you.

Posted : 01/01/2018 1:35 am
Bad Mister

There is, technically speaking, no such thing as a MOXF "backup file" - if you are referring to the the MOXF "All" data (.X6A), "All Voice" (.X6V), "All Waveform" (.X6W) and "All Arpeggio" (.X6G) the MONTAGE can read and extract the following data from your MOXF file:
Voices, Waveforms, and Arpeggios

It does not import SONG, PATTERN, or MASTERs.

Posted : 01/01/2018 7:02 pm
Topic starter

Thank you.

What do you mean by extract?

Basically I want the Montage to be a replica of my moxf6.

Do I just insert my pen drive and load the X6A file? It also contains voices from the “inspiration in a flash” - so are you 100% sure that it works?

I’ve read a previous post on here that some Montage users aren’t able to load that particular library, so before I invest in a Montage I’d like to be 100% certain that it does as my local music shop don’t deal in Yamaha.

Thank you.

Posted : 01/01/2018 7:54 pm
Bad Mister

Basically I want the Montage to be a replica of my moxf6.

No need, keep your MOXF6 if that is what you want to do. MONTAGE is a completely different synth that is able to 1) load VOICES of MOXF, 2) load the Waveforms of MOXF Flash Boards and 3) load the User Arpeggios. I cannot be clearer. It will extract that data from the ALL data file, it will ignore your SONGS, your PATTERNS, your PERFORMANCES and your MASTER setups. All of those do not get loaded.

The MONTAGE can load certain data from the Motif-series and MOXF-series. If the data is not sampled and stored in 16-bit/44.1kHz format, the MONTAGE may not be able to convert it. The Inspiration In a Flash was a specially formatted library developed from various sources and assembled for use with the Motif XF and MOXF series synthesizers. It contained several sounds that had a different compression scheme - that does not get converted to MONTAGE.

Any data that users have made themselves and most commercially available Libraries, will load as described. We cannot vouch for every possible Library created. There are samples assembled in the "Inspiration in a Flash" library that, indeed, cannot be converted by the MONTAGE (because of the formatting of some of the data). So if that is your only reason to purchase MONTAGE (to turn it into a MOXF6), you are better off staying with your MOXF6. If it does what you need... Only purchase a MONTAGE when you are ready for what MONTAGE has to offer.

Just so you know the MONTAGE features almost 8 times the WAVE ROM of the MOXF... so the sounds you are looking for may already be members of the resident ROM of MONTAGE.

Posted : 01/01/2018 11:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If the data you are interested in "transferring" from your MOXF is a performance - you'll have to do this manually.

As long as your MOXF performance does not use custom waveforms (but does use user edited voices) -- you can be sure your voice data, which is used as a portion of your performance, can be fully and automatically imported/converted. Some of your performance may use stock (preset) voices -- which are "mostly" inside Montage. Certainly all of the pieces are there for you to reconstruct the MOXF preset voice since all the waveforms and all parameters to adjust those waveforms are there.

Once you have these custom (user) voices imported - you can combine these and add Montage presets to form your own reconstructed. If you're lucky - the preset MOXF voice will be a single-part performance already inside Montage. This is the case for many "XF" series voices. If not, you can reconstruct.

I reconstructed using my own MO6 (which is older and less related to Montage than MOXF6) by mapping each performance screen setting on MO to the performance screens on Motif. I had a spreadsheet of the screens in one column for MO and the corresponding screen in Montage in the next column. I had screenshots to help show me the settings of every screen on the MO6 and its settings -- then I used my spreadsheet to "fill in" the settings in terms of Montage screens - then just did the data entry on the Montage.

I was able to mostly get back my original performance. In some cases I decided I wanted to slightly tweak the sound since I was already here -- or get rid of a limitation imposed by MO6 and use the greater power of Montage.

Given it's certainly possible to automate conversion - I "wish" there was some utility or automated way to do this. But be sure there is a manual way to do this if you really have a handful of performances that must transfer from the MOXF to Montage.

Posted : 02/01/2018 5:24 am
Bad Mister

All the MOXF/Motif XF Preset Voices are available as Single Part Performances in the MONTAGE, and form the basic sound set on which it is built.
All MOXF/Motif XF Preset Arpeggios are available among the 10,000 MONTAGE Arpeggio Phrases.
All Motif XF and MOXF Performances can be recreated in MONTAGE... an early request was for a conversion tool that would take MOXF and Motif XF Performances and create them for MONTAGE.

There is a weekly series of articles that is taking Motif XF (and MOXF) Performances and converting them to the Motion Control Engine of the MONTAGE... in the "Learn" area of this site.

Posted : 02/01/2018 3:50 pm
Topic starter

Thanks both.

We have unspent budget for this year which is why we have just bought the Montage.

We need an exact replica of the sounds from the moxf6 as we have an apprentice keyboard player who is going to be using the moxf6 and I’ll be using the Montage. Once she’s trained, she will be doing other gigs with our second team.
I’ve figured out a way to get the exact wavs we need from the inspiration in a flash library to work on the Montage then create matching performances. Damn easy.
It’s a pretty deep machine but I’ve been programming Yamaha for nearly 30 years. However with the new technology I thought it would be a few easy steps to replicate an older model Yamaha.

Posted : 06/01/2018 1:50 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us