Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

My Biggest problem with Montage. Monophonic LFO!!!!!! Seriously!

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member

Let's not pretend that it is a substitute for a real LFO white / pink noise.
(Or works or functionas as one)

And it is an important modulation source.
ONE of the most important and oldest sound sculpting tools in a synth!

Has nothing to do with getting the audience to sleep...

One example:
LFO White/Pink Noise to modulate element/Osc frequency with a small amount.

But thanks for your effort.

Posted : 04/11/2016 1:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

In the future, I'll have to refrain from making jokes that allude to non-synth uses of acoustics.

Posted : 04/11/2016 5:06 pm
Christine

You can set up a noise oscillator on an unused part and then use it through the Envelope Follower to modulate parameters.

God I love this synth 🙂

Posted : 08/11/2016 8:53 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You absolutely can. I haven't tested the hysteresis of the envelope follower vs. some of the noise I generated through the thread. I'm thinking lower frequency events would make the envelope follower more happy and some of the peaks and valleys of this noise would be rounded out by the follower - but I haven't used the follower here for much more than generating static values to follower which can themselves (the source of the envelope) be moved around in a relatively slow timescale.

Add an arp to play your noise in some pattern - turn on random to vary the timing. Lots of levers to pull ... until you run out.

Posted : 08/11/2016 9:27 am

Sorry to ask this, but how could this possibly be your "BIGGEST" problem with Montage if you didn't even bother testing it in the shop? It doesn't sound like this issue is going to massively affect album sales this year!

Posted : 08/11/2016 11:36 am
Topic starter

Steve wrote:

Sorry to ask this, but how could this possibly be your "BIGGEST" problem with Montage if you didn't even bother testing it in the shop? It doesn't sound like this issue is going to massively affect album sales this year!

Might want to read: "When I tested it in the shop" if you are going to bother posting useful answers.

Having just bought the thing today I still think it needs more LFO shapes. Sample and glide would be great for some slop action.

Posted : 08/11/2016 3:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Darren wrote:
Having just bought the thing today I still think it needs more LFO shapes. Sample and glide would be great for some slop action.

Great, glad we could help shed some light on the LFO capabilities. Keep in mind that for the part LFO, you have the ability to generate your own waveform (see touchscreen "Edit User LFO"). You can generate one completely by hand - or you can press the last icon multiple times (as many times as you want - I'm sure there's a point it starts to repeat) and also press "Slope - Up & Down" for each to get the ramp shape correct.

Since sample and glide (S&G) is pretty much the same shape as S&H except instead of resting on a value after it arrives at a step-point, it starts to ramp back up (or down) to the next point.

This all applies to AWM2.

Note that the part LFO has level (amplitude), pitch, and resonance/cutoff (filter) which can be applied to different elements at different depths. You only get three out of these four at a time - but I would hope you can get what you want done with what is available.

Posted : 08/11/2016 6:21 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us