Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

New "DX7" please.

25 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin

+100 for Lua Scripting of Motion in MODX and Montage.

Lua is the best and easiest language to embed on every system known to mankind. It should be done as a matter of course.

And a full iPad interface that visually maps for dissecting and setting up Modulation and Motion, from the iPad LIVE, in realtime, to the MODX/Montage -- since this seems to be the only device that happily, stably and reliably always connects to the MODX/Montage MIDI/CC/SYSEX.

It's absolutely ridiculous having to guess the ratios, and dig through presets to discover how things are done in the most laborious manner and fiddling around with Motion setups, back and forth is dozens of UI and button interactions, and guess work, and back and forth... etc. Just give us a visual mapping tool to do this, with all the values updated live, as they're generated by Modulation and animated by Motion Control.

And then add an editing environment for those Lua scripts, alongside this that interacts with the visual editor on the iPad, with total inbuilt tutorials and help, just as per Codea on the iPad does with its Lua game engine.

// if you own an iPad -- get Codea to be blown away by how far Apple is failing/flailing at enabling interactive creativity on iPads with their Swift Playgrounds horror show.

Codea is made by two guys in Australia. If they can do that... seemingly in their spare time as Apple long ago crippled its chances of being a commercial success by limiting code sharing, then Yamaha can surely either hire them to make a great iPad editor, or make one themselves.

Also, add a Shift+Touch to view inline, onboard help within the TouchScreen on the MODX/Montage, for every single feature. Text takes nearly no space to store, and is performant to render.

Posted : 20/06/2021 1:18 pm
Member Admin

I've wished for more community-enablement of providing 3rd party support for Yamaha synths.

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Value-Open-Source-Design/210042-45978

I even reference Korg's SDK as an example of what I would like to see as a growing industry trend.

Yamaha keeps their cards close to the vest - so this isn't something that seems plausible given the culture and history of Yamaha. Even trying to go through official channels that have been suggested to me - finding programming information has been a dead-end. I'm not against discovering it on my own and am capable. It's just somewhat of a waste of time to invest if there's documentation that can curtail having to spend countless hours injecting stimulus to read the outcomes and documenting the system that way.

However, I feel that Yamaha has more to gain than lose by fostering an eco-system of 3rd party tools (editors, converters, widgets, whatnots) contributed by the community.

BRAVO!!!

I'm sorry to say this, but I think you'll have to shame them into doing these sorts of things. There's no way to appeal to them, or their better nature.

That means starting a user storm, otherwise it will simply never happen.

Posted : 20/06/2021 1:23 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

+100 for Lua Scripting of Motion in MODX and Montage.

You can "plus" it here 🙂 :
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Embed-Lua-scripting-in-MODX-Montage-to-supplement-MotionControl/275081-45978

Posted : 20/06/2021 4:32 pm
Member Admin

You can stick ideascale where the sun doesn't shine.

and all other 3rd party placation, diffraction and distraction techniques used by all corporations, ever.

Cue Bill Hick's comments on marketing.

Posted : 20/06/2021 4:57 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

You can stick ideascale where the sun doesn't shine.

and all other 3rd party placation, diffraction and distraction techniques used by all corporations, ever.

Cue Bill Hick's comments on marketing.

While you might be right, it's still the only place where actual interest is shown (or simulated) by Yamaha.
In short, I'd rather have an idea voted there than nothing, no matter how small the chances are for it to make it in a product.

Posted : 20/06/2021 5:52 pm
Member Admin

Just ask yourself this.... why is it hidden from search engines and require an additional login?

Posted : 20/06/2021 7:41 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

Just ask yourself this.... why is it hidden from search engines and require an additional login?

As I said, I feel an idea/suggestion is better placed there than here, a post lost in the middle of a thread on a forum that has half of its features chopped out.
That doesn't mean I'm making any illusions.
That being said, if you feel an idea has any value, rather vote on it there, as without any votes it is of course certain to vanish and become a fulfilled prophecy.
It will probably take less time than arguing here about why voting is pointless.

Posted : 21/06/2021 7:53 am
Member Admin

it's worked on you. You've been placated, diffracted and distracted from expressive articulations on whatever resonant spaces you've got available to you that might actually cause sufficient reverberations to plant seeds, create echoes and propagate waves, and hid away where you've posited your opinion, via a mere vote.

Good on ya!

Posted : 21/06/2021 3:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

why is it hidden from search engines and require an additional login?

Probably because Yamaha doesn't operate ideascale and that's the policy already adopted before Yamaha selected it. This discussion forum is quickly indexed on search engines. So it's not a general policy.

When it comes to Yamaha's "web stuff" - I don't think choices of how/why are necessarily dictated by a grand design. When you look at what you get - it more expresses happenstance.

Posted : 21/06/2021 11:13 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

To get back to the original topic, the OP might be happy to learn that the "new DX7" actually exists, here.

Found about it by chance yesterday, when I stumbled on this long talk by some early adopters, including Yamaha-affiliated FM-god Manny Fernandez (author of some very good FM tutorials on this very site):
https://youtu.be/rU3PnxRGvuY

Posted : 22/06/2021 8:24 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us