Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Newbie setting up Voicelive with Montage8

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Please bear with me as I am new to setting up all of this gear and would appreciate some help with this. I have a Montage 8, Shure SM57 microphone, KRK-VST4 Monitors and a Voicelive 2 and a Scarlett18i8 Focusrite interface (Likely obsolete with Montage interface).

My main question is that I think I have the voice live connected correctly (midi out from Montage to midi in Voicelive and line out from Voicelive 2 to the Montage A/D input but I'm not sure what settings to use in the Montage. I'm not getting any Voicelive sound from the monitors? I will want to be able to record Voicelive and Montage using my PC DAW.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Bernie

Posted : 25/08/2016 5:08 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Bernie - no help to you, I'm afraid, but I set up my Montage 7 to drive my Korg M3 over MIDI, and set up the Montage for MIDI rather than the USB default - but not a peep out of the Korg (which is also set up to receive). I hadn't got round to doing anything about it, so maybe someone can help us both.

Posted : 25/08/2016 7:11 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Voice Live although I just read through the manual.

Try setting up the unit with just the Montage, no computer connected.
Get the unit working with Montage alone.

Set Montage MIDI I/O = MIDI
Set Montage Audio I/O = Line
The external unit wants you to transmit on MIDI channel 1
All of the factory Performances are set to transmit on channel 1
We assume the mic is plugged into the Voice Live device and you can get signal from there to the Montage.
Activate the A/D Input button on the Montage front panel.

Then once you have that working, let us know, and we can see about adding the computer DAW, next.
You will need to route MIDI Thru the computer to trigger the external device, but first ensure that it is working by connecting direct (no computer). Let us know.

Posted : 25/08/2016 7:13 pm
Topic starter

Thanks guys. Not home for the weekend but will try it out on Monday and let you know.
Much appreciated.
Bernie

Posted : 26/08/2016 11:15 pm
Topic starter

Update: I decided to reset both the Voicelive and Montage to original factory settings as I had played so much with them It was likely never going to work. As you suggested "Bad Mister" by the way nothing bad about all of your help here, I adjusted the Montage parameters , also increased the IO decibels. No change seemed required on the voicelive as it defaulted to channel 1 midi. I could see both units were communicating but still no sound. I replaced my XLR to line cable from the voicelive to the montage with a line to line cable and bingo sound. The vocelive I/O output setting is digital out full mix". I will need to figure out what setting works for XLR to Line output.

I have the lite version of Ableton live 9 installed which was included with my Focusrite. Ableton have a special on all upgrades to save $100.00 for purchases before Sept 13 2016. If it's OK with you, I will post again within the next week or so once I've installed the new DAW and if I'm having any problems getting things to work. Thanks again for your great advice and having taken the time to do this.
Bernie

Posted : 30/08/2016 9:09 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us