110 Posts
54 Users
0 Likes
14.1 K Views
Karl
 Karl
Eminent Member
Topic starter

As Yamaha starts thinking about it's next firmware update, here are several items for consideration.

1. An 'Insert' function in the Live Set display (in addition to swap).

Why: If I have 100 Performances in a given live set, and I want to sort them into a specific sequence, and I want to add a new Performance in the #1 position, there needs to be a better way to do that than swapping 99 performances to push them all down in the performance sequence just to open the #1 position.

How it would work: Press on an existing cell position in the Live Set to insert a new blank Performance, so we can add a new Performance to the blank, or copy or swap an existing Performance into that position.

2. Pitch shift greater than two octaves. Not so much of an issue for the Montage 6 or 7, but I would like to have greater octave range on my 8.

3. Please check the "Bell Tines" performance specs. I have an SC7 foot pedal attached, and that performance only comes in 'full blast' volume, and can't be controlled or reduced.

Cheers.

Posted : 25/05/2016 5:59 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for you input.

3) Please check the "Bell Tines" performance specs. I have an SC7 foot pedal attached, and that performance only comes in 'full blast' volume, and can't be controlled or reduced.

We hope you mean FC7 foot pedal... if attached to the Foot Controller 1 jack it will by default send cc011 Expression. When this is not controlling a PART's output volume it is likely due to an ARPEGGIO that contains Expression data in the Arp, I'm not at a Montage at the moment but I'd bet dollars against donuts that this is the case.

Press ARP ON/OFF and see if you can now control the PARTs Volume with the Expression pedal. Arps that contain control data will quite naturally cause the Part to follow those messages. You are free to edit this PERFORMANCE any way that you desire. But I'm fairly sure it is the selected ARPEGGIO Phrase that is controlling Expression... Moving the FC7 will work against the arp data causing a jumpy response.

Let us know.

Posted : 25/05/2016 7:03 pm
Karl
 Karl
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yes, I did mean FC7.

I have the first FC7 plugged into foot controller 1 for volume, and a second FC7 plugged into foot controller jack 2, using as an expression pedal to control superknob functions. When I select Bell Tines, I now notice (after reading your previous post) that it turns the ARP on automatically, and the volume pedal (foot controller jack 1) causes over-modulation / distortion. When I turn the ARP off, the volume pedal functions normally. (Did not notice this initially.) (Do I owe you a box of donuts?)

Bell Tines is the only Performance where I have noticed this over-modulation with the volume pedal.

I have also noticed that — irrespective of what position the volume pedal is in when I select a new performance — the volume of the newly selected performance starts in at full volume. If, when I select the new performance, I immediately move the volume pedal (as in waver or fluctuate it slightly) the volume of the newly selected performance readjusts to the pedal. Not sure if this is a feature or a glitch. It would be preferable (my perspective) if, when selecting a performance, the system recognized the current setting of the volume pedal and adjusted automatically to it. (I have almost blown my ear drums a few times when working with headphones.)

Thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Karl

Posted : 25/05/2016 9:34 pm
Scott

Suggestion: The Montage can be configured to boot up with either the Live Set displayed or Performance displayed.

Add a Last Performance setting where it will boot to the last Performance selected, or add the feature to register a boot-up Performance.

Posted : 26/05/2016 12:16 am
Jeroen
Eminent Member

My wishlist for the next firmware update of the Yamaha Montage:

• Make it possible to set the midichannel of each part in a performance.
  • Make the faders assignable.
  • Add the zones to a mix of a scene, so you can make a complete mix (internal and external) with the scene-buttons.

Posted : 26/05/2016 6:32 am

Just one suggestion from me : include the 'keyboard control on/off' parameter in the scene mix - so that, when you switch scenes, you can switch between sounds without having them cut off.

Example :
Performance of 2 parts, the range of both parts is set to the entire keyboard

SCENE 1
Part 1 is under keyboard control, Part 2 is not, so it is not heard while playing

SCENE 2
Part 2 is under keyboard control, Part 1 is not, so it is not heard while playing, but it sustains when switching from scene 1 to scene 2

I don't know if this is possible on the Montage because of the nature of the operating system, but my Roland FA-06 can do something similar and it works very well (it doesn't really have 'scenes', but you can switch keyboard control on and off for each of the 16 parts in a performance by pressing the corresponding numeric pad, and when you switch the keyboard control off, the sound of that part still sustains).
I am aware that you could achieve this in the Montage with mute / solo functions, but I really don't like to have my sounds cut off when switching from one to the other.

Thanks for listening!

Posted : 26/05/2016 8:03 am
Bad Mister

@Karl

I have also noticed that — irrespective of what position the volume pedal is in when I select a new performance — the volume of the newly selected performance starts in at full volume. If, when I select the new performance, I immediately move the volume pedal (as in waver or fluctuate it slightly) the volume of the newly selected performance readjusts to the pedal. Not sure if this is a feature or a glitch. It would be preferable (my perspective) if, when selecting a performance, the system recognized the current setting of the volume pedal and adjusted automatically to it. (I have almost blown my ear drums a few times when working with headphones.)

It's a feature, not a glitch. If you want your pedal to be "live" so that moving to a new program inherits the volume as set by your pedal's current position, you must set the parameter CONTROLLER RESET = HOLD. The default is Controllers will RESET.

Press [UTILITY] > "Settings" > "MIDI I/O" > Set CONTROLLER RESET = HOLD

When the tone generator receives a MIDI command, be it from you, a sequence, an arpeggio, via MIDI, it has no choice but to respond.
Hope that helps.

Posted : 26/05/2016 11:38 am
Steve

Awesome easy solution to the newly selected performance volume1

My wish for next update. A proper looping function with the recorder.

Posted : 27/05/2016 2:02 am
Karl
 Karl
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

Thanks for the tip on resetting the pedal to live inherited volume setting. Nice to know this can be customized.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Karl

Posted : 27/05/2016 2:29 am
Bad Mister

A direct Performance Recorder does not Loop, it records your Performance in one pass and stops... You then export your data to a DAW -where you can loop it, if you wish.

Posted : 27/05/2016 1:54 pm
 Gary
Eminent Member

A suggestion for next Update: Have a 'Default' sort option in addition to the 'Date' and 'Name' options in Data Utility area just like in Category Search.

I've been cleaning up an XF All file import and as it stands now, in order to delete several Performances, you have to find them by their Title. The Date sort is of no help in this case because they were all imported at the same time. It would be nice to be able to sort them them ascending/descending in the order they were on XF; by they're Bank order.

G

Posted : 27/05/2016 3:09 pm

A direct Performance Recorder does not Loop, it records your Performance in one pass and stops.

That general statement is completely false. Sorry, Phil, but you are very much mistaken here. The following excerpts are from the Owner´s Manual
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/1811268/JUNO-G_e5.pdf
of the...

Roland Juno-G
128 Voice Expandable Synthesizer with Audio/Midi Song Recorder [!]

Yes, we are talking about a recorder, not a sequencer!

This chapter explains the procedure for using the JUNO-G’s song recorder to record a song. Before you begin thisthe procedure for using the JUNO-G’s song recorder to record a song procedure, put the sound generator in Performance mode. Normally, when recording or playing back a song, you will put the sound generator in Performance mode.

Sounds familiar, right?

You can record repeatedly over a specified area (Loop recording). Set the following recording parameters in addition to the basic settings:
LOOP (POINT):
Recording takes place repeatedly, according to the loop point settings.
LOOP (1–16 MEAS):
The 1–16 measure area starting at the record-start measure will be recorded repeatedly.
LOOP SONG ALL:
The entire song from beginning to end will be recorded repeatedly.
START POINT:
Measure and beat at which loop recording is to begin.
END POINT:
Measure and beat at which loop recording is to Stop.

It gets even better...

COPY:
This function copies a specified area of sequencer data. It is convenient for repeating the same phrase several times.
ERASE:
This function erases all the sequencer data inside the specified area. As the erased data is replaced by rests, the original measures will remain.
DELETE:
This function deletes a specified area of sequencer data, and moves the subsequent data to fill the gap. As a result, the measure length will be shortened by the number of deleted measures.
INSERT:
This function inserts blank measures into a specified song position. As you can set the time signature of the blank measures, this is convenient when inserting a phrase having a different time signature in the middle of a song.
TRANSPOSE:
This transposes the pitch of notes within a specified area, over a +/- 127 semitone range. Use this function to modulate from one key to another in a song, or to transpose the entire song.

DEAR PHIL, DEAR YAMAHA SYNTH PEOPLE,
PLEASE CONSIDER THE ABOVE-MENTIONED BASIC (!) FUNCTIONS AS SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
有り難うございます
Best
A (so far) disappointed Yamaha customer who yearns for an expanded version of Monatge´s on-board recorder

Posted : 27/05/2016 5:22 pm

There was one transmission error. Here´s the right quote:

This chapter explains the procedure for using the JUNO-G’s song recorder to record a song. Before you begin this procedure, put the sound generator in Performance mode. Normally, when recording or playing back a song, you will put the sound generator in Performance mode.

Reminds me of Montage.

Posted : 27/05/2016 5:34 pm
Steve

Bad Mister wrote:

A direct Performance Recorder does not Loop, it records your Performance in one pass and stops... You then export your data to a DAW -where you can loop it, if you wish.

I realize the Montage Performance Recorder does not Loop. Im not taking this thread too seriously. Im pretty sure Yamaha couldn't care less about my wish.. My Montage is an amazing instrument..

It does seem to have the hardware to control a loop mode with the recorder functions. Programming a simple loop mode via an OS update seems doable and would make this recorder that much more useful and fun.. Oh yea, and make sure (when your programming that in the next update Phil), that I can use the FC5 to start and stop it

🙂

Posted : 27/05/2016 8:28 pm
Bad Mister

@Klaus. Maybe you missed a point. I'm talking about the direct Performance Recorder in a Yamaha Montage (you can use your Roland to do what you've taken the time to copy here) ??? Not sure how that is relevant at all. It's obvious you are not able to fully appreciate or consider the difference between a JunoG and a Montage. (Not a serious comparison - shows you don't have a clue about what's going on in a Montage Performance). No matter, I will pass along your request.

Posted : 28/05/2016 9:35 am
Page 1 / 8
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us