Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Norton deletes installation file Montage Connect.exe!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 B
Topic starter

Any solution why Norton do not accept the "Install Montage Connect.exe" file on Windows 10 computer?
Says it contains WS.Reputation.1, what is this, virus ???
What is the way forward?
I have never seen this before.
Using Cubase 8.5

Brau10

Posted : 10/11/2016 4:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It means that the EXE is somehow detected to match what other users have flagged/voted as having some risk - although not detected as doing any harm as matching a virus signature. More information is here:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/clarification-wsreputation1-detection

This was the first hit from a search-engine search phrase: "WS.Reputation.1" norton

The article also explains how Yamaha may go about submitting their program for the whitelist so this, what is likely to be a false positive, does not occur.

There is a slim chance that something else (not this program) has infected your computer and has modified the EXE from its original form. To cover this possibility - if it were me - I'd do a few things:

1) Submit the flagged EXE to a few different antivirus (online) scanning tools to see if a true virus signature is detected.
2) Scan my system for malware with something like malwarebytes or whatever the wider security community now considers to be the best utility (or suite of utilites)
3) If possible, download the file again in a "clean" environment and compare the clean downloaded file with the file that is being reported by Norton. If they match - then it is very unlikely you are dealing with a true virus and more likely it is a false positive from the antivirus software.

A better forum for this kind of support would be something like the norton forums, or bleepingcomputer.com, or ...

Posted : 10/11/2016 7:55 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us