Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Output volume consistency among several performances AND even multiple keyboards

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 dua
Topic starter

Greeting everyone,

Playing live, switching performances and keeping all the sounds in a good level to the house mix has always been a struggle to me.

Is there a way to measure "exactly/objectively" the audio output of every performance (using a third party audiometer maybe? any suggestions?) in order to make sure all the different performances (and scenes) are consistent with volume?

During a live performance with a band, the overall volume on stage will inevitably change from soundcheck to beginning and end of performance.

My idea is to measure with some kind of Audiometer (which I need recommendations to) all the performances (and scenes).
As gig progresses, I can adjust my stage monitor accordingly and trust the "House" will be adjusted by the sound engineer.

It would be great to be able to visually determine the level output to the "House" during a performance so I would know whether to turn my monitor up or down OR turn the main output up or down.

I know it is not s simple answer and maybe I am making more complicated than it needs to be, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Eduardo

Posted : 12/06/2023 3:22 pm
Prominent Member

in order to make sure all the different performances (and scenes) are consistent with volume?

While you wait for a more technical reply you might want to consider using Live Sets for each performance.

You can specify a volume for each Live Set entry. Then during your testing you can make sure that the volumes of each performance in your live set match each other the way you want.

Create a set of Live Set performances for each venue you perform at. Large, open spaces will likely need different levels than small, enclosed ones. So if you use effects such as Reverb they may need to be adjusted individually within the performance.

Using Live Sets can help make sure that all of the performances you use at a gig are at least consistent with each other.

Then for the simpler setups you may only need to adjust the master monitor volume.

Posted : 12/06/2023 6:06 pm
 dua
Topic starter

Thank you Andrew. That is a good idea. I didn't know (I am sure I've read that before but didn't really "get it") that the live sets can have a overall volume for the performance. Not sure exactly what that means but I will look it up. Thank you

I am still wondering if that can be "measured" somehow...

Have a great one!

Posted : 12/06/2023 6:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can calibrate your Performances using Cubase (included with new Montage purchases) as audio has a meter. Get your Performances at the level you want ("same" or however you want to set them relative to each other) using the meter as a guide. Check your scenes too within a Performance (if you use them) to be sure you don't have a scene that's out of wack.

Personally, I just use my ear. But the software can give you the measurement.

Posted : 13/06/2023 5:32 am
 dua
Topic starter

Thank you Jason. That is also a good idea.

Have a great day

Posted : 13/06/2023 5:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us