Notifications
Clear all

PANNING QUESTION

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Peter
Topic starter

I'm making a performance with four parts, one of the parts is a wind noise. I want this wind to pan left to right then right to left continuously. Could someone give me step by step instructions how to achieve this please.
Thanks in advance
Peter

Posted : 25/06/2016 6:57 pm
david
Reputable Member

I've seen the super knob programed to move with a motion sequence and of course pan could be one of those assignments.Only the wind noise would be assigned to the SK panning function. I'd have to investigate a similar performance program and see how that works while you wait for a direct answer. I'd like to learn this myself.

Posted : 25/06/2016 11:57 pm
Peter
Topic starter

I don't want to have to move the super knob to do this, I'm hoping there's a way to have the motion sequence to do this regardless of the position of the SK. In other words is there an 'effect' which will do this? My Roland Gaia has a button called 'panning delay' which does this.
Looking at the Parameter manual p61 2-2-2 perhaps one of these may be the answer eg Cross Delay but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to understand this.

Posted : 26/06/2016 9:30 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi.
In Tremolo & rotary FX category, you have an Auto Pan insertion FX, just use it on the wind part.

If you don't want to use an insertion FX cause you need to have two others insertion FX for this part, like David write, the Super knob has is how Motion sequence, you can set "element pan" as destination and one assign knob as source for your wind part, use the auto knob sequence witch move automaticly the assignable knob, like this you do not have to move your self the super knob, edit the sequence of the Auto Knob to move your pan as you want, you have 8 sequence by lane so you can have variations on your Pan move if you need.

Or you can use also one Lane of the motion sequence to done this, set "element pan" as destination and one MS Lane 1 as source for your wind part, edit the sequence of the Lane1 to move your pan as you want, you have 8 sequence by lane so you can have variations on your Pan move if you need.

Posted : 26/06/2016 9:43 am
Peter
Topic starter

Thank you Joel, I will try this later today and report back. If I can't get my head round this I may ask for step by step instructions :o)

Posted : 26/06/2016 9:54 am
Peter
Topic starter

Well Joel, I've tried what you suggested but although I have some panning I don't think it has occurred because of anything I've done - and I can't remember what I did anyway :o( I think I need a step by step guide as what comes up on the screen isn't always what I expect.

Posted : 26/06/2016 2:24 pm
Bad Mister

I'm making a performance with four parts, one of the parts is a wind noise. I want this wind to pan left to right then right to left continuously. Could someone give me step by step instructions how to achieve this please.

There are more than one way to accomplish the goal of the wind effects. You will need to decide which works best for you and gives the desired result.

Effects is one way. The Tremolo&Rotary Speaker category of effects has useful types to accomplish this (Auto Pan). Mostly musical in nature - meaning they are predictable and repeatable. This may work, and then again may not be random enough to suit all situations. (After all the wind needs to be random to some degree, your concept may wish it to be predictable). You can experiment with the Effects and get great results, we'll outline how below.

But also consider this 'random' factor. The Preset program "Wind Blows" found in Category "Sound Effects" > SubCategory "Nature": uses Key Scaling. This four Element program, uses *where* on the keyboard, left to right, the wind sound occurs - playing keys on the low end of the keyboard makes the sound more left of center and keys at the high end clearly give you a sense of being right of center. Of course, this is just a different way of accomplishing the wind effect.

Your requirements may include that this movement happen automatically from a triggered event like a single note-on - in which case you can use the aforementioned Auto Pan effects, or you can automate anything (a theme with Montage) using a Motion Control Sequence. Motion Control Sequences can automatically move any sound around in the stereo field by assigning Element Pan as the Destination. You can use a Preset Motion Sequence or you can create your own custom MS for the task. You can have these evolve over measures and measures of play. You can also set it up so that you can manually trigger the Motion Sequence by pressing the dedicated [MOTION SEQ TRIGGER] button.

Now, many folks just say they want the "easiest way" (which I understand from one point of view, but not with a synth... I like synths because they offer you a lot of different ways to accomplish things, so "the easiest" is never really a consideration, but that's me).

Assigning an INSERT EFFECT to Pan
INSERT EFFECTs are assigned on a per Part basis. Every Part has access to two Insertion Effects. These are intracately woven into the program, and can be assigned real time controllers to manipulate those parameters made available. Insert Effects are analogous to the processors belonging to the individual instrument player alone. The personal effects belonging to and under exclusive control of that instrument's player. They are shared with no other instrument.

Recall your wind Part
Press [EDIT]
Select your Wind Part to view its parameters
In the lower left of the screen make sure "Common" is selected in blue.
Touch "Effects" > "Routing"
Here is your overview of signal flow through the Montage program architecture. It will show (in the case of an AWM2) the routing of each Element. Notice the 3-Band EQ prior to entering the Insert Effects blocks, and the 2-Band EQ post the Insert Effects blocks, and the routing to the other block before the Output assignment.

You can move the cursor or touch an insert block to make changes. In the Tremolo&RotarySpkr category find "Auto Pan"
You can select it for either Insert A or B. Touch the appropriate box "INS A" or "INS B" to edit the effect parameters.
Try some of the Preset Auto Pan setups to hear some possibilities.

Hope that helps get you started. If you're following along with the "Programming Basics" we are coming up on Motion Sequences quite soon.
Let us know.

Posted : 27/06/2016 1:49 pm
Peter
Topic starter

Thanks Phil for taking the time to explain.
I tried the INSERT EFFECT to pan. Only 3 of the elements were routed through Ins A , the other had 'Thru' routing to Insert block B. I eventually found the 'Trem/Rtr' and set it to 'Auto Pan' and the best preset was 'Super Slow' (the others were far too fast). As one of the elements was 'Thru' to Insert block B I also selected the Auto Pan for that and changed the Ins Connect to 'Parallel'.
It seems to work fine and is more or less what I was looking for. When the Motion Sequences tutorial comes along I'll try that too to see which is the better way for this particular application.
Thanks again for your help

Posted : 27/06/2016 8:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us