Notifications
Clear all

Part Name Issues

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey Guys
I have a small problem with the Montage and I hope that you can solve it. After recording some stuff on Cubase I have played just with the Montage alone without my Daw. After choosing a factory performance each voice part was named by category instead of the actual voice name. I have restarted the Montage and plugged it out of my computer but nothing helped. I am hoping that you can help me with this problem. I have also uploaded two pictures for a better understanding. Thank you for your help 🙂

Attached files

Posted : 04/12/2016 11:33 am
Stefan

Hi Ceynan, there is no way to solve this. It is just the way it is, there is no problem there. The different parts can be named individually. So the names you are seeing are just the names they have been given by whoever programmed them.

If that bothers you for some reason you would have to edit the performance, go through the different parts. There in the "Part Settings" -> "General" tab you see "Part Name" in the upper right corner. Press on it and you can edit. And after you are through will all parts do not forget to save a new performance. Hope that helps.

Posted : 04/12/2016 11:41 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Yes, Stefan, that the case for all Montage not only your, it's not a bug or a problem, that's the way it is.

Posted : 04/12/2016 12:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Here's my stab at the "why":

The Montage has lots of pre-canned performances (Like "Mr. Side Chain", "DJ Montage", "All 9 Bars!", etc.) These are called preset performances. [CATEGORY SEARCH] can search for performances (including the presets) and also, if you're adding a part, can search for pre-canned PARTS (PART presets). When searching for preset parts, you have the same number of preset parts to search for as you do have preset performances. This is because the "anchor part" - or PART #1 in every performance is also the same as the single-part you can search for when doing a PART [CATEGORY SEARCH].

So what about these other parts? The ones with no specific names - just category type names?

I look at the anchor part (PART #1) as the cake of every preset performance. The main sound that makes this performance unique from others. Then I look at the other PARTS (parts 2-8) as the icing. These may have started from one of the preset PARTS - but have been tailored for the performance to do something specific (like only sound on the release of a note, or only cover a small range of the keyboard, or velocity, or ...). Since every performance has a number of highly customized PARTs - specific only to that performance - and probably not all that useful for general use - these PARTs are not made available through the part-based [CATEGORY SEARCH]. They are only saved as part of the preset performance.

Now - since these custom PARTs are not "dropped in" from preset PARTs - there's the problem of what to name these. Note that if you "[+]" add a part to any performance - you start with a category search for parts. You may select a part and the part name for that new part is filled in with the name of the preset part. You will likely modify this part's parameters so you CHANGE it from the preset part. However, unless you manually change the name - the name will continue to stay as the preset performance's name. Say you started with a preset name like "CFX + FM EP" (because it was one of the first ones to pick). Then you change the elements to use string waveforms instead of piano. The name no longer makes sense as "CFX + FM EP" - but it will stay like that unless you change it. Rather than having lots of randomly named "icing" parts - Yamaha decided to name these in a consistent manner and choose generic names for each of these extra parts.

It may have been "better" to name these "icing" parts as something more specific. Then also provide even all of these "icing" parts as presets to choose from - thus offering a larger palette of "colors" to choose from (building blocks) for your own user performance creations. I said earlier "probably not all that useful for general use". This is an inference about the "why" from the perspective of the keyboard designers. Later firmware allows for you to pick which part to copy from a preset performance including the "icing" parts (2-8). It would help this process if, when I pressed as source "Part 2", that the part name would show something like "CFX Concert - Key Release Thud Sound" (note: this is a contrived example and likely part 2 of CFX Concert is not this sound). Currently, to know what Part 2-8 sounds like for any given preset performance - you have to experiment with the original performance to "figure out" what the parts do. This is where the more unique naming/labeling would be a useful feature to add. At the expense of the current design decision to have consistent names for parts 2-8 based on a more generic function. Yes, I do understand that these parts are very specific to the original performance preset.

Posted : 04/12/2016 8:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us