Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Performance recorder - replacing a part without deleting others ?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I use the internal performance recorder, it's very useful for quick demos recording. Thanks to great french website moessieurs I learnt how to record one part after another, but I can not find how to re-record the last part without deleting previous parts. Is it possible, and how can it be achieved ?
"Moessieurs" website says it is possible - so I guess I just don't follow the right steps, but maybe this function is not available. In any case, it would be very useful, even without sequencing functionnalities and just "live" recording, sometimes you just play wrong and want to re-record πŸ™‚

Thanks for help !

Posted : 09/11/2016 5:15 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi, my apologies, there was a mistake on the page.
At this step, i didn't find a way to use replace or punch in/out without deleting the others tracks.
I have correct it now.
You need to use a daw to replace a track by a new recording.

Posted : 09/11/2016 6:07 am
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

I believe you can re-record a track, are either of you referring to any one of the 16 MIDI tracks? you saying parts.
I don't have a Montage yet but looking at the owners manual sure seems to indicate that at least punch in/punch put must do this.
In fact this might be a deal breaker for me since I have a motif xf7
So, this is what I need to know:
I can record onto any one of the 16 midi channels/tracks
If I need to re-record a particular track by either replace, overdub, I may do this and that those functions are what is expected in Seq. nomenclature.
Further, Only that track is affected...all other tracks remain and lastly overdub is as one would expect

Hopefully Bad Mister will clear this up

Posted : 09/11/2016 6:00 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

Owners manual does not mention anything regarding the loss of all tracks when replacing, overdubbing or punch-in/out. There is no indication in manual. It seems that this type of behavior would be noted. Let me post this also

Posted : 09/11/2016 6:04 pm
Bad Mister

The recorder in Montage is not a sequencer, like in the Motif XF, where you would record one track at a time. It is a "Performance Recorder" that allows you to record all tracks of the Performance simultaneously.

All tracks go into record.
All tracks punch in together, all tracks punch out together.

It is not a sequencer, it is designed to record all tracks of your Performance, simultaneously. When you punch in, it punches in on all tracks.

If you are looking to record on one track at a time we highly recommend a DAW software, Montage ships with an access code to download Cubase AI.
It may take some time to get your head around the concept, but first understand the potential of the Montage Performance, then you can understand how and why this works the way it does.

Posted : 09/11/2016 6:57 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

Hi Bad Mister. Thanks for the answer. Provided that there is nothing more to report, then It will not be difficult for me to understand YOUR statement. The owner's manual is basically very unclear, with statements such as:
..."recording a Part to Track 1", and ..."overwrite an already recorded Track with new data" You can see that this type of wording is misleading. I don't think you would have worded it like that

Thus eluding to "tracks" as one might think, see below:

..."In this section, you’ll learn how to record your keyboard
performance, by recording a Part to Track 1. However, you’ll
first need to set up the MONTAGE for recording."
..."β€’ Replace lets you overwrite an already recorded Track with
new data, erasing the previously recorded data.
β€’ Overdub lets you add more data to a Track that already
contains data
β€”in other words, recording new notes on top
of the previous ones.
β€’ Punch In/Out lets you re-record selectively over a specific
area of the Track."

So, you could understand the confusion. One other question please There are 16 tracks. Performances have up-to 8 parts under keyboard control and another 8 for...not clear on this but, I assume the other 8 can be accommodated on the other 8 sequencer tracks or?

Also, when you have a SONG and then call it up, can you then decide to have the midi data point to a different performance?

Regarding the performance recorder in montage being just that and no more. I do think that in future incarnations, the midi recorder could and should be expanded. The motif started out with such things as "This is the way it is" but later thru xs/xf models, things that couldn't eventually did πŸ™‚ I'm not alone here, many, many desire more functioning in sequencer.

Posted : 09/11/2016 7:42 pm
Topic starter

OK, sorry if my question leads us to another "why-is-there-no-sequencer" talking, I can imagine Bad Mister is fed up with those complainings... That was not my point !

First, thank you all for your answers !
- Joel, I understand you're the author of the moessieurs website, great, great job, thank you very much. It's fantastic to find so many informations, and so clearly explained, and it's a miracle that it is written in french (yes, I'm french, I think that can be guessed from my english !) :-))
- Phil and Bad Mister, thank you very much for taking time to help me.

So now, here is my point : I'm not complaining about the lack of a sequencer on the Montage.
I understand that by now a DAW is very very more powerful and easy to use than an onboard sequencer - that's the way I work too, most of the time (I used the editing functions of the onboard sequencer on my Korg Triton... maybe twice in 14 years ?!).
It seems I was simply mistaking myself about the actual functionalities of the performance recorder. Phil pointed that out very well, manuals use the words "track 1", etc., and it is perfectibly possible to record one track after another => that's why I thought of the performance recorder as a "multitrack live recorder" : I mean it is "live", you have no "sequencing" or "editing" functions (modify a note duration, velocity, copy a measure to another and so on), but you can record on the track you want - and so pretty logically you can delete the track you want. We have the first functionality (recording to the track you want), apparently not the secund one (which could simply be choosing to replace or overdub on that track). I hoped I just had not found the steps to follow... too bad, it would be sufficient to me (no problem for using a DAW for further editing !), but OK.

Once again, thanks for your answers, hope maybe this feature request could be heard by Yamaha developers... and to be clear : WHAOUH, what a great and powerful instrument !

Posted : 09/11/2016 10:13 pm
Bad Mister

Not sure that I get fed up explaining it, as much as I fear perhaps people are missing it's designed purpose... as a quick sketch pad, as away to capture your interaction with the Motion Control engine. I think once more time is spent creating your own Performances, its role become clearer.

I think if you approach the Montage as just another synth you may miss it's true potential. The Performance Recorder is accessed by a button labeled PLAY/REC... so why 16 Tracks... PLAY.

Say you build a sixteen Part composition in your favorite DAW and want to take it to the gig... it is as simple as that.
Say you purchased a MIDI file and want to play it back... of course, it has 16 Tracks.

It also allows you to record your Performance as Audio, then drop the wav into your favorite DAW, same as you could do with the MIDI recording.

Posted : 10/11/2016 1:17 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us