Notifications
Clear all

Performances 001-567.

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

First post, quite excited about the Montage, can't wait to try it out!

I've been reading the manuals and data lists, and I'm curious about a few things:

1. Am I right in assuming that performances 001-567 are new to the world, and that the rest (568-1920) are one part performance versions of previous Motif sound sets?

2. If so, are the non-FM parts in performances 001-567 made up of new sample sets? For example the Rhodes: new samples or taken from Motif?

Thanks.

Posted : 27/04/2016 1:38 pm
Bad Mister

I'm not quite sure of the breakdown of where exactly all the new AWM2 content is, or how or if it was used in recreating Motif data, perhaps we can get some folks from the programming team to address this in a future article. I know when they assemble a new project they analyze what needs to be changed, updated, improved and go from there.

However, much of the new content supports more musical articulations - enhancing and expanding the sonic pallet when you are approaching playing a multi-Part Performance. Remember Multi Part Performances can contain as many as 8 Parts (each Part made from either 8 Elements or an 8 Operator FM-X).

Posted : 27/04/2016 2:34 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply Bad Mister.

And yes, some sort of input from the sound designers would be very interesting! I'd love to hear how they approached the Montage when programming the sounds.

Posted : 27/04/2016 8:10 pm
 Jan

Now that banks (PRE1..n) and programs (A01..H16) are gone and Category Search is the intended way of selecting them... Is there still a way to go through the programs from 001 to 567 one by one, for instance using the INC/DEC buttons, like on the Motif XS? This would come in handy when auditioning the new performances in the store, without constantly bumping into old XS/XF "voices". If I understand correctly this is accomplished by selecting the performance name on Home screen and pressing INC/DEC, correct?

Posted : 28/04/2016 4:29 pm
Bad Mister

Is there still a way to go through the programs from 001 to 567 one by one, for instance using the INC/DEC buttons, like on the Motif XS?.... If I understand correctly this is accomplished by selecting the performance name on Home screen and pressing INC/DEC, correct?

Yes, it is. Press the INC button - it is that easy.

This would come in handy when auditioning the new performances in the store, without constantly bumping into old XS/XF "voices".

I disagree. And going through programs like this would not necessarily be a very good idea given the sheer number. CATEGORY SEARCH is probably the best way. Beside bumping into the old XS/XF sounds will be a new experience - as you undoubtedly will discover a sonic difference!!! There is a way to refine your SEARCH to look for PRESET, USER or LIBRARY-installed Performances, you can SEARCH by AMW2, FM-X, AWM2+FM-X, Motion Control, etc., etc., or you can simply type in any portion of the name... you can sort the data by NAME (alphabetically), by DATE, or by the order as listed in the DATA LIST booklet.

No store wants to have a customer playing the 1,920 Performance one after the other... if you played each for minute you'd be there 30 hours!
The most efficient way is to quickly learn CATEGORY SEARCH (if you are already familiar with any of the recent Yamaha's it takes 10 seconds to learn the new features here that make it easier and more efficient to find specific types of sounds. Also the dedicated AUDITION button allows you to hear what the programmer intended on each Performance!

Posted : 29/04/2016 2:12 am
 Jan

"No store wants to have a customer playing the 1,920 Performance one after the other... "

And that's precisely why I want to limit myself to the first 567 (that's 9.45 hours only 😉 ), i.e. the new stuff (new waveforms, Motion Sequencer, FM) and leave out the XS/XF content sonic differences, which I most likely won't be able to tell/appreciate until I get Montage in MY studio and experience how it sounds on MY system (where I know how the XS sounds like), not some in-store headphones.

Posted : 29/04/2016 11:46 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us