Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Performances (& Preset, User, LIbrary, and GM "banks" (page 18 O.M.)) versus Flash RAM (aka MEMORY)

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am hoping that BM or Yamaha can tell me my bottom-line assumption, below, is wrong

From current on-line Owners Manual page 63 there are Approx. 1900 Performances (I realize with given this design things are dynamic i.e., flexible" so the "Approx." qualifier).

If I read ANY of these multiple posts and the Owners Manual correctly (re: performances, parts, voices, ...) a Performances can contain from 1 to 16 parts (where a part is, or can be thought of as, analogous to Motif "voice" with additional "stuff"). So …

Somewhere/somehow those parts (aka voices) start to use memory.

Consider if I stored ONE part per Performance, Example assume I Imported a custom user bank from my XS [yes, yes it will be converted to an XF .X3A file and only use internal ROM waveforms) then those 128 Motif voices (aka now Montage parts) would eat up 128 Performances (assuming I don’t manually combine 16 imported voices per Performance; thus, cutting the count from 128 Performances to 128 voices grouped 16 to a performance yields 8 Performances)

Now those 128, or 8 optimized, Performances have to be stored somewhere - the standing question is where?

Unless I completely missed the boat, and I probably have, since there are no dedicated user banks/slots mentioned in the specs or in body of document (again page 63 or O.M.) related to how many Preset, User, Library or GM banks there are (now combine pages 18 and 63) I would have to ASSUME that those 128 (or 8) Performances would eat into the ~1.75 GB of available memory?

if that is case then that would cut into memory for user samples like the Ksounds C7, Easy Sounds Magical Pads, Gospel Musicians Neo-Soul Keys, etc.)

Please tell me I am wrong and that there other "memory" are set aside for Performances that are separate and distinct from the touted 1.75GB of flash RAM.

Thank you

Posted : 25/03/2016 12:41 am
 yme

Hi Larry,

that ...

Larry wrote:
Please tell me I am wrong and that there other "memory" are set aside for Performances that are separate and distinct from the touted 1.75GB of flash RAM.[/b

... is the case. Flash memory will be 1.75 GB and this is reserved just for User Waveforms/Samples.

MONTAGE will come with approx. 1.920 Preset Performances, divided in Single Part Performances and Multi Part Performances. If you load your 128 MOTIF XS Voices they will become Single Part Performances in MONTAGE and they will use 20% of User Memory as you can store up to 640 Performances, no matter if Single Part or Multi Part. In addition you have 8 Library Memory Slots which also can contain up to 640 Performances each. The difference between User and Library Memory is that Performances in Library Memory ain't editable. If you have the need to tweak them this is still possible but they can't be stored directly in the Library but must be stored in the User Memory. From there you can create a new Library File which then can be loaded in one of the Library Memory Slots again.

The formerly known bank organization doesn't exist anymore.** Searching for Performances is supported by a deeply improved Category Search with the ability to set filters referring different criteria, i.e. User or Preset Performances, Single or Multi Part, FM-X ... And we don't have a fixed size of memory or files. If your User Memory contains just one Performance, it will be stored exactly with this content/size. On MOTIF series a file always contained a dedicated amount of Voices, Performances, Mixings and so on - whether they are used or all initialized.

**For the use with external MIDI devices or DAW's a bank system with dedicated MSB/LSB/PRG Change commands does exist.

Hope that helps,

bye ...

hp

Posted : 25/03/2016 7:33 am
Topic starter

Yep that helps and I missed those details about "how many." One last detail and this is now chalked up to "just wondering" but the "Library" is only one (see #3) I want to confirm

1. Preset Performances = 1920 (approx)

2. User Performances = 640 (your math using my example says then that is equivalent to 5 ("old") editable user banks)

3. Library Performances = you said 8 (non-editable or at least non-editable "in place") memory slots that, "...which also can contain up to 640 Performances each;" therefore, 8 slots * 640 performances = 5120. Or did you really mean to say 8 slots divided among (between) 640 total performance locations (In which case then those 8 slots would also be a mix of single and multi performances or math doesn't work)

4. Finally, I will assume GM takes one "slot" of 128 (akin to 128 preset "single" performances)

How does any of this reconcile with the specs on Page 63 ..."approx 1900 performances."

if I add them all up I get well more than 1900 since we start with 1920 fixed presets, or if I add only user affected (i.e., "editable") types from User and Library (Library is editable in the sense that the user can obviously modify via re-call, edit, then re-store) that's either 5740 (640 user + 5120 library) or 1280 (640user + 640 library)

Thanks for any clarification (no, none of this is a deal breaker- mine is already on order)

Posted : 25/03/2016 11:23 pm
Hans-Peter

Hi Larry,

that is correct ...

Larry wrote:

1. Preset Performances = 1920 (approx)

2. User Performances = 640 (your math using my example says then that is equivalent to 5 ("old") editable user banks)

3. Library Performances = you said 8 (non-editable or at least non-editable "in place") memory slots that, "...which also can contain up to 640 Performances each;" therefore, 8 slots * 640 performances = 5120

If you like, you can count as follows:

• 1,920 Preset Performances (approx.)
• 640 User Performances max.
• 5,120 Library Performances max.

Larry wrote:4. Finally, I will assume GM takes one "slot" of 128 (akin to 128 preset "single" performances)

All former GM Voices are part of the 1,920 Preset Single Part Performances.

Makes sense?

Posted : 26/03/2016 9:03 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us