Notifications
Clear all

PORTAMENTO&LEGATO NOT WORK WITH SAMPLED VOICE ON MONTAGE

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

HII THANKS FOR ADDING ME HERE
IM NEW USER WITH MONTAGE .I WANT TO ASK YOU ABOUT MONO PORTAMENTO&LEGATO IF I WANT TO USE THEM WITH A SAMPELD VOICE.WHY THIS DONT WORK? NO LEGATO 7 NO NO PORTAMENTO? DOES THIS NOT ABLED ON MONTAGE OR SOMTHING ELSE? THANKS

Posted : 21/05/2020 1:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You may want to see Yamaha's response here:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/the-problem-is-in-mono-legato-and-portamento

Posted : 21/05/2020 4:45 pm
Bad Mister

HII THANKS FOR ADDING ME HERE
IM NEW USER WITH MONTAGE .I WANT TO ASK YOU ABOUT MONO PORTAMENTO&LEGATO IF I WANT TO USE THEM WITH A SAMPELD VOICE.WHY THIS DONT WORK? NO LEGATO 7 NO NO PORTAMENTO? DOES THIS NOT ABLED ON MONTAGE OR SOMTHING ELSE? THANKS

you can turn Portamento On on a per Part basis, whether applying it to a sampled based AWM2 program or an FM-X program or Performances made from both technologies.

There is a Master Portamento Switch, which must be activated, then there are individual Part Portamento On/Off switches per Part.
For an example of Portamento on a sample- based Performance, mono Legato Synth Lead, try the following Performance:
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set “Bank/Favorite” = All
Set “Attribute” = Single
Main: SynLead
Sub: Analog
Select “Lucky”

Lucky — Classic emulation of “Lucky Man” square wave lead. AMW2 sample based, Portamento Time controlled by position of the Super Knob
Press [EDIT]
Press [Part Select 1]
Touch “Mod Control” > “Control Assign“
Tap the “Auto Select” box so that it is active (green)
Turn the Super Knob — this is where the assignment of Portamento Time is made

If you tap “Part Settings” > “Pitch”
Here you will find the Master Portamento Switch and the individual Part Switch
The Portamento Mode, either Fulltime or Fingered.
The initial Portamento Time settings and response modes are also on this screen..

Hope that helps get you started.

Posted : 21/05/2020 7:11 pm

thanks alot for repling ill try this 🙂

Posted : 21/05/2020 10:06 pm

dear thanks for all but the legato dont work!!!

Posted : 21/05/2020 10:35 pm
Bad Mister

Change Portamento Mode from “Fulltime” to “Fingered”. When set to “Fingered” and you play legato, you get Portamento, when you do not, no Portamento.

Posted : 21/05/2020 11:34 pm

dear bad mister all waht you told me is work in the factory librarys in the montage like "synld" all is ok mut when i try to do the same with a multi sample this dont work!

Posted : 21/05/2020 11:45 pm

i need that the legato shoil work our music need that!! please help me:)

Posted : 21/05/2020 11:46 pm

please see this link

Posted : 22/05/2020 12:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are limitations to portamento due to the implementation that goes way back - discussed in past threads including Motifator. If a sample has a strong attack - these are not well suited for the current implementation since the start of a sample is "retriggered" with every key pressed. What does reasonably OK is pressing a key far away and having the interpolation handle the pitch bend between. Running your hands up and down the keys to get a smooth glide is not always possible depending on the sample. This is a long standing critique and, as far as I know, has not been changed in this generation. History would say that it is unlikely to be addressed this generation.

There's a poorly maintained ideascale item. Covering this. Poor because the author has added general questions for keyboard support inside their idea. Also the original description is not quite as specific as may be helpful to articulate the idea or issue leading to the idea.

Warts and all - here it is in case you want to add better content:

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/The-problem-is-legato-in-mono-mode-and-portamento/229034-45978

There's also a "kitchen sink" idea that mentions the same issue. Not fond of these because it would be best to split up all ideas with multiple different suggestions into separate ideas to help the voting system and also to keep good ideas from being downvoted or ignored if there are also "bad" ideas in the list.

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Modx-improvements-suggestions/246258-45978

Here's perhaps a better single-subject idea that explains fairly well what is the desired enhancement:

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Montage-Mono-legato-option-for-amw-samples/225092-45978

**** SUGGESTION ****

If you need smooth glides that do not retrigger the attack, then use FM. Assuming an FM sound works for you (or you design one yourself) - this is the best way to achieve what I imagine you're after. This generation's FM-X has a wide array of sound shapers (effects, filters, parameter modulation using motion sequence or controllers). So there's much more that can be done than just the basic operator construction in terms of sound design.

Posted : 22/05/2020 12:23 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us