Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Problem with user and library bank

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I just recently imported samples i created on the Motif waveform editor, everything worked, sounds produced so i started editing them on the Montage in performance and saving them to the user bank, all sounds worked, i saved the user bank to my usb and created a library file when i reloaded the new files, all the names and parameters are all there but with no sounds, as if they did not save the waveform with them, did i do something wrong, i do not see any of the waveforms that were originally linked the the sounds.

Posted : 03/05/2018 2:10 pm
Bad Mister

When you created the Library File (.X7L), then you Loaded that Library File... it will be installed in one of eight Library locations.

You can find the installed Library data as follows:
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH] each press will toggle the Bank....
Alternatively, you can touch the “Bank/Favorite box to see a list of your current Banks... All, Preset, Favorite, User, Library 1-8

Select your Library -it will be named the name of your file.
All the items that appear are in your Library. The first one listed is the first one in your Library, you can return to the main screen and advance through the Performances in this Library Bank.

You can view how many Libraries you have installed:
Press [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > “Library” Folder.

Finding installed Waveforms
You can use Category Search to Search the Waveforms from any Bank, as follows:
Start with an Init AWM2 Performance
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Elem1” to view the Element parameters
Touch “Osc/Tune”
Just to the right of the Element ON Switch is the box to set the Waveform for this Element, touch that box to see the Waveform “Category Search” pop-in.
Touch “Category Search” and set “Bank/Favorite” to your Library by name, the currently installed Waveforms will appear

Waveform [CATEGORY SEARCH] is color coded (mustard) so as not to be confused with Performance Search, Part Search, Arpeggio Search...

Posted : 03/05/2018 2:32 pm
Topic starter

When i load my Library .X7L i see it the name of the bank and all the sounds it saved i just can't hear anything no sound from any of them and the waveforms are missing thats why there is no sound the waveforms somehow did not save with the file.

Posted : 03/05/2018 4:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

saving them to the user bank

I'm guessing this is where you tripped.

There's two ways to "save" Performances which are in the Library to the user location. If you want the samples to be copied, then there's a right way and a wrong way.

The "wrong" way would be to recall the Performance from the Library slot (so the custom Performance is now in the edit buffer) - then press [STORE] to save a copy to a User location. When you do this, the Waveform (samples) is(are) not copied -- it will need the Library to be installed in the same position as the Library is in when you [STORE]'d the copy.

The "right" way would be to use the "import" feature to import the Performance(s) you want in the user area. This method will also copy over the Waveform (samples). One purpose of the import feature is to allow for you to collect together Performances from one or more Libraries and start to make your own Library -- allowing deletion of all the source Libraries -- your user area containing just the "keepers". Then you can create a Library from the user area which will have all the original Waveforms from the original libraries.

Posted : 03/05/2018 4:10 pm
Bad Mister

I just recently imported samples i created on the Motif waveform editor

Can you please provide more details on this process? Did you create a .X3A File that you loaded to MONTAGE?
Did you create a .X3W File?

And when you Loaded them to MONTAGE just what did the “Contents Type” read?
If you (correctly) loaded them to the USER Bank then the data would have included your Waveforms when you then SAVED AS.... “Library File”

If, however, you loaded the Motif XF Data directly to MONTAGE as a ROM Library, then you cannot simply edit them to create a new Library... as Jason points out, you must use the [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Library Import” to move data from the ROM to USER - which repoints all data to User (RAM)... only data in the MONTAGE User Bank can be used to create a new MONTAGE LIBRARY.

Posted : 03/05/2018 6:37 pm
Topic starter

Makes sense Jason i will try that, so all my work editing them to user was useless pretty much, so i have to load the Library and import to user then edit them in user is what i understood.

Posted : 03/05/2018 7:33 pm
Bad Mister

You could just load the Motif XF Data directly to the USER Bank... “User” means Load the Motif XF File using “Content Type = User File”
This will translate all the Motif XF data and when you navigate to the Element screen, the programs using custom Waveforms will have “Bank = “User”. The User Bank of Performances (640) and the User Bank of Waveforms (2048) are in RAM, and get overwritten by the next User File you Load.

Loading as Library, then using “Library Import” will accomplish the same thing. More effort, but accomplishes the same exact thing... the reason that this longer, more complicated route exists is for when you don’t want to overwrite the data in your current USER BANK. Loading the Motif XF data directly to a Library bypasses the User area altogether. Now you can select using the IMPORT function which ones or all of the XF data to import to your USER BANK. The act of Importing does NOT overwrite... it simply adds to existing programs in the User area.

Posted : 03/05/2018 7:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Josue - there is a way to "copy" the edits you made to the user area of the wrongly [STORE]'d Performance to a correctly Imported Performance. It involves bulk dumps and deleting out the SYSEX which changes the waveform. That's the "hacky" way of doing it -- and maybe worth it if you're comfortable with that. Maybe there are tools out there which can assist. I do not use any tools except to help others with specific issues related to using the tools, etc. Therefore, I do not have any registered tools for Montage in my "arsenal". You could also use the brute-force method where you look at the various screens you remember making changes and take pictures or write down the changes then redo these after correctly Importing the Performances.

As BM mentioned - you can also backup your user area, wipe the user area clean, then load the library direct to your user area instead of doing this in two steps. It's up to you how you want to manage what's already in your user area and how that gets merged into (or not) the Library you're working on creating from your own efforts.

The Library Import was mentioned as it relates to what you were already trying to do -- following the workflow I had assumed you started. Other than not overwriting your user area - the Library Import feature is also useful for merging content from multiple libraries together into a single resulting library.

Posted : 04/05/2018 4:29 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us