problems assigning knobs

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello, I am having problems assigning parameters to knob 1 and 2. I cannot figure out why knob 1 is working and knob 2 is not in attached performance. knob 2 works perfectly in the editing mode, but nothing happens in performance mode.
also, how do you give names to the knobs? changing the "display name" in the editing mode of the knobs doesn´t do a thing, what is that even for?
thank you, if anyone wants to bother to check out my fmx performance and find the error, this is really really driving me crazy.....

Posted : 10/01/2018 9:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Unless it's a stardard picture file, you must ZIP any attachment before uploading or the forum will just silently reject your upload and post without attachment. This is one of those "poor design" elements that the forum members are burdened to manage.

Posted : 10/01/2018 9:39 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

oh dear, just zipped it with 7z and can´t upload it either, format not supported...

so without the performance, let´s reduce the my problem to 2 questions:

1: what can cause an assignable knob to perfectly do it´s job in the editing mode and not do a thing in performance mode?

2: how do you give assignable knobs names that can be seen in the common assign section right under the performance name?

Posted : 10/01/2018 9:57 pm
Bad Mister

There are different types of Assign Knobs. And since you don’t mention the two types we’ll assume this is the cause of your mystery. In other words, there are Common Assign Knobs and then there are Part Assign Knobs.

The Common Assign Knobs appear when the Performance (HOME) screen is selected and when the upper [COMMON] button is lit.
The Part Assign Knobs, each Part has eight, appear and are active only when the individual Part is selected.

Try it, from the HOME screen, press [PART SELECT 1], the Knobs in the screen will be “Part 1 Assign” and while it is selected you can move these Knobs and the Part 1 will respond. Nothing in the other Parts will be able to change, they are not *selected*.

A Part Assign Knob can be linked to one of the Common Assign Knobs... which as you know move in concert with the Super Knob. If you would like to access a Part parameter while “Common” is the status, you must link the Part Assign Knob with a Common Assign Knob so that when you are on the HOME screen and/or [COMMON] is lit the Super Knob will move your Part Assign Knob.

Any of the Assign Knobs can be given a “nickname”, called the DISPLAY NAME.
On the Part’s “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign” screen, you can move the parameter name to the Display Name box, or you can just touch the Display Name box and enter your nickname.

Posted : 11/01/2018 3:15 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thank you Bad Mister, that was it. I hadn´t understood the knobs yet...I had always assigned everything to the superknob until now and never to the individual knobs. It works now 🙂

Posted : 11/01/2018 9:00 am
Bad Mister

Think of the Part Assign Knobs first... many, many more Assign options. The Common Assign Knobs can only control things on the upper Common level, and of course any of the sixteen Part’s Assign Knobs.

The upper Common level includes the Audio inputs, the System and Master Effects and the links to the Part Assign Knobs.
It is the Part Assign Knobs that do the heavy work within the given Part... this allows you decide which parameters you have access to at any time.

If you are performing a MULTI PART Performance it is possible to be controlling Arps and MSeqs via Scene changes, and morphing your backing Parts with the Super Knob, all while you’ve directly selected your lead Part. Now you have its 8 Assign Knobs that will directly interface with your lead.

The Super Knob works at all times (global) nothing need be “selected” for it to be engaging its assigned duties.

Posted : 13/01/2018 11:41 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

7-Zip has its own proprietary .7z file format. This forum software will not accept that file format. But 7-Zip can also create a .zip file, which this forum will accept.

Posted : 13/01/2018 8:25 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

As I get more into the knobs and can now distinguish between knobs for parts and common knobs and try to actually use them while playing (which I didn´t do before because I was fixated on the superknob) I think it´s too bad that they almost never have nicknames. Would make it so much easier while using the knobs to know what they do! In easysound fm-experience, the knobs have nicknames. Yamaha programmers, were you lazy?

Posted : 17/02/2018 9:45 am
Bad Mister

As I get more into the knobs and can now distinguish between knobs for parts and common knobs and try to actually use them while playing (which I didn´t do before because I was fixated on the superknob) I think it´s too bad that they almost never have nicknames. Would make it so much easier while using the knobs to know what they do! In easysound fm-experience, the knobs have nicknames. Yamaha programmers, were you lazy?

You can input the names as they mean something to you. Remember, a single PART Assign Knob or COMMON Assign Knob might be doing several things at once. It is not always so cut and dry about naming what the knob is doing.

In the recent tutorial, involving programming Motif XF Performances for MONTAGE, we programmed a single COMMON Assign Knob to turn up Element 3, while the same gesture turned down Elements 1, 2 and 4. Element 3 was the Tenor Sax "growl" oscillator, and Elements 1, 2 and 4 are the Soft-Medium-Hard Tenor Sax (non-growl)... so we use a single Common AssignKnob to increase Element Level for Element 3 and decrease Element Level for Elements 1, 2 and 4... via the PART's own Knobs #3 and 4.

In such a case we could easily give the parameter a NickName "Growl" but there is more to the story... and it is not always so easy to find a name... if the parameters are not really related to each other. Personalizing the Performances you use should be the thing to do.

Motif XF all 512 Performances were in USER memory. Yamaha anticipates that you will be making your own custom PERFORMANCES... use the factory data as examples of what can be done.
MONTAGE has (currently) 2143 Performances in PRESET memory. But we still are encouraging users to make their own - you are given some 640 x 8 Libraries plus the 640 User... that's 5,760 potential user customized PERFORMANCEs for you to nickname to your hearts content. Not sure why the original programmer's nicknames do not appear.

Posted : 23/02/2018 5:19 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

"Yamaha anticipates that you will be making your own custom PERFORMANCES... use the factory data as examples of what can be done."

that´s my struggle. I am not good enough to make my own really good performances, not knowledgeable enough to change and elaborate the factory or other people´s multipart performances that I like and want to use - and feel like I´m cheating if I use them without adaptiong them cos that´s just too easy.
what to do.....

Posted : 23/02/2018 3:12 pm
Eminent Member

Not cheating :), I recommend that you decompose and edit some existing Performances to see how they are put together... swap out part and change a few assignments... very productive, and you learn something each time. I also found playing the legacy performances that I imported and Montaging them gave me great practice in assignments and leveraging FM-X (Bad Mister's Part Conversions are excellent for learning). And finally I did get the FM-Xperience pack, as the FM-X sounds they come up with are a great jump start on some fine FM-X programming. Learn a lil, and play with it, rinse and repeat..... I had a MO6 and I never really tweaked just played. But now everything is in motion and it is sounding awesome.

Posted : 23/02/2018 6:57 pm
Bad Mister

MONTAGE Navigation Tips

Posted : 24/02/2018 4:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us