Notifications
Clear all

Problems to make Montage sound in Ableton Live

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
Topic starter

Good morning, my name is Mike. I just got my Yamaha Montage and I am user of Ableton Live.

I have updated the montage firmware and also installed usb drivers on my computer. I have set the montage for USB OUTPUT and I have tried the Quick Setup in all positions but I still have problems to work on my DAW with Montage.

I come from YAMAHA MOTIF and what I did with motif was: Opening External Instrument in Ableton Live, assigning Motif and the channel/ in Yamaha motif I created a performance and in each of the 16 channels I added an instrument (channel 1: piano, channel 2: violin..) so that when I played channel 1 in Live, it only sounded the piano, and the same with the violin in channel 2, simple.

With MONTAGE I have the following problems:

I do the same as with Motif in Ableton Live, but when I play performance channel 1 (assigned to Live channel 1), all performance channels sound simultaneously, I am not able to make each channel sound separately.

When I record midi in Live pressing hardly the keys on the montage, it sounds good, but when I read the midi recording on Live, it only sounds if you low the volume pressure and pretend you play the piano softly.

I am not able to make the SuperKnob work in my DAW ( I have tried touching the expression parameters, pedal, etc, but they have no effect in Live).

If someone can help me, I would be very grateful.

Regards.

PD: Please, forgive my English if something is not correctly written, I am from Spain. Hope you understand my words.

Posted : 03/09/2016 11:44 am

Hi Mike,

I have used Ableton with my previous Motif XF as well the same way. In Performance on the Motif, I assume you meant either Song or Pattern Mode as Performance Mode in the Motif can handle only four voices simultaneously and all on the same channel.

Now, on the Montage, you'll have to make sure Direct Monitor is off to do what you described. If not and the Montage is being used as your ISIO, then you will hear the sound out of the Montage for all parts under control so long Direct Monitor is on. Trying turning that off. It should do the trick.

I hope this helps.

Posted : 04/09/2016 1:50 am
Bad Mister

I come from YAMAHA MOTIF and what I did with motif was: Opening External Instrument in Ableton Live, assigning Motif and the channel/ in Yamaha motif I created a performance and in each of the 16 channels I added an instrument (channel 1: piano, channel 2: violin..) so that when I played channel 1 in Live, it only sounded the piano, and the same with the violin in channel 2, simple.

Do the same kind of thing with Montage...
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Select "Init"
Select "Multi/GM"
This will set you up just like a Motif XF Song/Pattern MIXING setup where each Part has a slot on a separate MIDI channel, 1-16.

When recording MIDI data to your DAW please use the QUICK SETUP #1: MIDI REC on DAW.

When you work from an INIT MULTI, select a PART 1-16 using the Part Select buttons. The [CATEGORY SEARCH] function can help you limit your search to just complete Single Part programs.

Posted : 18/09/2016 7:39 pm
 Gary

having this exact same issue... all parts are sounding at once on one channel - so i cannot mix the parts in ableton. using GM init part 1 - 16 and direct monitor off. volume is fully down on the montage but midi channel one is sending all parts not just the part assigned to the channel - can anyone help?

Posted : 08/02/2017 7:49 pm
Bad Mister

@Gary,

We don't have enough information on your issue. Sorry. Start a new thread and tell us exactly what you have setup and what it is you wish to accomplish.

Posted : 09/02/2017 11:40 pm
 Gary

Hi Bad Mister... i think i am finally all good... I had to switch DAWs back to logic pro x but was getting tired of ableton.. with logic and following the guide on here I am using GM 1-16 nicely and finally beginning to scratch the surface of this amazing machine! thank you for your replies in the forum saying you are knowledgeable is an understatement!

Posted : 10/02/2017 6:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us