Clear all

Q FOR BAD MISTER

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 John
Topic starter

Good Evening, Bad Mister.

You kindly described foot pedals for the different jacks on a Montage8 a while back (please see below).
Hoping you have time to clarify by foot pedal model number: If you were outfitting a Montage8 with four pedals, which particular model numbers would provide the most versatility and programmability?

Thank you,

John

The four pedal jacks are identical to the Motif-series with one difference:
_ A dedicated Sustain pedal jack that can be set to do Half-Dampering when set for and an FC3 pedal is inserted or can work as a simply ON/OFF sustain pedal with a standard momentary.
_ An assignable Foot Switch which can globally be assigned to any number of functions. It too is a momentary function (On when engaged, Off when released). This can be set to send cc067 Soft (I've not seen a Data List for Montage to determine if it responds to this message). btw - a dedicated electronic piano is more likely to have a three pedal option, as Sostenuto, and Soft (una corda) are functions principally found on only one instrument the piano. The assignable FS can certainly be set to do Sostenuto (cc066) and the Montage will respond to this message.
_ Assignable Foot Controller 1 takes a Yamaha FC7 sweep pedal and is assignable per Performance to control whatever you'd like. The default, like on the Motif-series is cc011 Expression.
_ Assignable Foot Controller 2 takes a Yamaha FC7 sweep pedal and is assignable per Performance to control whatever you'd like. The default is to act as the SUPER KNOB, which allows you to control different aspects of each of the possible 8 PARTs under Keyboard Control in the current Performance. Each Performance is 16 Parts, eight of which can be set to "Keyboard Control". So all movements of the SUPER KNOB function can easily be done while both hands are on the keyboard.

Posted : 07/06/2017 2:48 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

BM can chime in, but this was answered:

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/most-versatile-pedal-set-for-montage8#reply-21303

The list you quote already shows FC3 (FC3A is the new version) and FC7 - which covers 3/4 of the list. The last one is the FC5 for the footswitch. This one was not "spelled out" in your quoted text for blank #2 (assignable foot switch).

Yamaha had a pedal pack which came with:
QTY=2 (quantity of 2) FC7
QTY=1 FS5
QTY=1 FC3A

The above matches the text you already quoted - and the supplemental info on the foot-switch.

If this is the most flexible is debatable - but it's the recommended set. This is the set of pedals the Montage was designed to use.

The FC4 would also work as a sustain - but it's not the most flexible because it does not offer the "continuous dampening"/"half pedal" feature and therefore would lose flexibility. So the information you already have there represents the most flexible set from a pool of Yamaha designed products.

Posted : 07/06/2017 3:17 am
Bad Mister

The Pedals for the Montage are the same as those for the Motif series. The flexility per Program are greater in Montage and of course the Motif series had no Super Knob. See page 11 and 12 of the Owners Manual for pedal options.

I have two FC7s, both are programmable on per Performance basis
I have an FC3A for Sustain
I have an FC5 for my Assignable Foot Switch, which I set to LIVE SET+

You have to decide how you want to setup and use your pedals.
While the FootController 2 is set to Super Knob on the Factory Performances, but when you convert Motif XS/XF, MOXF data to Montage or you initialize Performances on the Montage, the defaults are actually, FC1 = cc011, FC2 = 004
The momentary FS function is global, if you are performing live, the Live Set advance makes sense. ARP On/Off is the default.

Sostenuto (66) = yes
Soft (67) = no*

* you can fashion a "soft pedal" by programming a Source/Destination box to either adjust filters and/or reduce output level in response to the FS. If you need help with that, just let us know.

Posted : 07/06/2017 3:21 am
 Ege

Hello everybody, I'm a real newbie to Montage and even to music. I'll soon start my piano lessons and use my Montage for them. I know that Montage is not a starter product but I'm planning to move towards synths after a while and due to where I live it's not always possible to change and upgrade your instruments, so I did a one shot buy.

The thing is I didn't know that Roland RPU-3 was incompatible with Montage but recently bought one and unable to refund it. I live in Turkey and it's pretty hard to find some specific products you need(I looked for Yamaha pedals in the first place but there was none). Anyways my piano teacher asked me if I can prepare everything until we start lessons and that includes pedals for Montage. I would like have a sustain, sustenuto and a soft pedal just like a real piano. Now, I completely get lost in Montage settings, can't get to work RPU-3 (I'll try to reverse it as it was mentioned in Motif forums) but what are the other settings I should set to have these pedals as it's a real piano after I handle the reverse polarity for RPU-3?

As I've said I live in Turkey, it's almost impossible to find someone who knows about Montage, so I'm completely alone in this new adventure of mine and also kinda terrified because of its complexity. Any kind of help about this would be much appreciated and is a life saver. Thank you all.

Posted : 26/06/2019 3:34 pm
Bad Mister

The MONTAGE is a synthesizer and supports two (sweep) Foot Controllers and two Foot Switches (one is for a dedicated “Sustain” pedal function, the other is “Assignable” within the Utility mode to a global function). You can select a function such as Sostenuto (cc66) for the Assignable Foot Switch Function. The MONTAGE does not support a three (Switch) pedal option, however - the best you will be able to do is Sustain and Sostenuto.

Press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set the “FS Assign” = 66

The Roland RPU-3 is not going to work for the MONTAGE... the MONTAGE does not have a three pedal option, at all.
The type of connectors on the pedal do not match what MONTAGE is looking for... (only one does, the Sustain)

The type of connectors on the pedal are called TRS (tip-ring-sleeve)... the recommended Yamaha FC3A Sustain pedal features the same such TRS connector. This allows the pedal to work as a continuous controller sending all values from 0 through 127. This allows it to mimic half-dampering techniques. Sustain being the pedal on the Right... try plugging just the connector labeled “R” to the MONTAGE’s Sustain jack. See if that pedal alone works. (Let us know)

I’m afraid, however, the other two pedals on the RPU-3 have no use for the MONTAGE...
The Assignable Foot Switch jack on the MONTAGE is looking to accommodate a pedal with a simple TS (tip-sleeve) connector.

That is my best guess.

Posted : 26/06/2019 8:40 pm
 Jan
Eminent Member

Sayin Ege,

I have had the same problem. Unfortunately the 3-RPU doesn't work at all. None of the connections. Not on Montage, neither on Genos. However it did work on previous Yamaha models.

The CVP-series has a 3-pedal foot controller setup. I have changed these settings as Right: sustain, Middle: Mod-wheel; Left: Pitch bend. In this way I can apply the effects without lifting my hands of the keyboard. (BTW, CVP doesn't have these controllers via a separate switch.)

On the Montage my settings are: Sustain, Mod wheel (Leslie), Superknob and Volume. I have no need for delicate differences as sostenuto. And when I do, I program my parts by switching of the receive switch for sustain of those parts. In this way I can sustain the pads without affecting the (mostly) upper hand for melodies.

As I expect you are a genuine piano player. So you can program your favorite piano performance for the Una Corda effect via the superknob, by turning down EQ's and resonance.

Attached files

Posted : 27/06/2019 5:03 am
 Ege

Hey thank you both for the answers. I'm not a genuine piano player now but want to be, I just made a fresh restart to music, I was a guitar player but had to quit 10 years ago 🙂

Appearantly I did a mistake buying RPU-3, so i'll be selling it as it's unusable with Montage no matter I change its polarity or not. I'll try to import a FC3A for sustain, FC4A or FC5 for sostenuto and two FC7 for assignable foot controller for una corda or other various effects, after I get a confirmation from you on these products will handle my needs.

When I only use R connector to Montage's sustain input, it doesn't work at all. Tried when Montage was off and plugged it then turn on, also tried plugging in when it was on, still no change. I also tried plugging it in while pushing the pedal, not working. Theoritically it should work but nope, nothing.

I appreciate the answers guys, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing until now and I can get really confused and terrified sometimes because no one around me knows these products. If stated Yamaha pedals are going to work for me, I'll try to bring them from somewhere abroad, I hope. 🙁

Posted : 27/06/2019 10:37 am
Bad Mister

@Jan thanks for your information and confirmation... that it does not work
In general, one should always try to get the recommended pedal for the product — for several reasons, first of which it is guaranteed to work or at least it has been designed, tested and approved for use with the specific product. Second because you owe it to yourself to have the peace of mind that it is behaving as intended.

In Ege’s situation, where the pedal is not to be found... the best you can do is to try to make do... until you can get access to the right pedals. You’ll know they will be right because the Yamaha pedals will say “Yamaha”. I’m sure the RPU-3 works on the Roland products it was designed for (without any modification).

Not all pedals are the same. The MONTAGE does NOT have a three piano pedal option.

The MONTAGE does acoustic piano sounds but is not a piano, it does Tone Wheel organ sounds but is not an organ, it does Brass sounds but is not a horn, it does guitar sounds but has no strings, it does string sounds but has no bow, point being... it is a Synthesizer. A device capable of emulating sounds, with a particular speciality of emulating musical instrument sounds, both acoustic and electric.

Strictly speaking it is not a piano, it is a Synthesizer, Piano is just one of hundreds of instruments it does really, really well. It has a purpose.

Pianos...
Arguably, the world’s most popular piano-like object, is the Yamaha P-125. While I’m writing this scores of them have been sold... it is perhaps the perfect ‘getting started’, small profile, full scale instrument with built-in speakers (2 headphone jacks for student/teacher), Graded Hammer action, ideal for students and professional players, optional stand (L-125) and three pedal unit (LP-1) available.

Now, if you were to spend an equivalent amount of money to the MONTAGE 8, on a dedicated Yamaha digital piano, (the CLP-Series CLP645) you would discover deeper detail, improved life-style considerations (furniture factor), advanced processing and improved audio system. The attention to the smallest details are considered. At Yamaha we are a piano company (the other keyboards we do are made possible by Yamaha’s dedication to the piano, both acoustic and digital). When new technology is developed to improve the reproduction of the acoustic piano, you’ll find Yamaha involved.

The MONTAGE is a Synthesizer, best in its class, with all it means to be a Synthesizer in play.

Posted : 27/06/2019 12:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us