Notifications
Clear all

Recorder memory

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi from Paris,
I was wondering if I am the only one who finds that there s a problem with the recorder memory, not to say sequencer memory....
I have recorded three songs only and when I try to replace one, or one part of one, I can t... and get the following warning: data memory full !!
the weird thing is that I can start recording a fourth song. But this time : the stop and warning came while recording....

Posted : 04/11/2016 6:03 am
Bad Mister

Hi Vincent,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

In general, the instrument has several specific error messages which it retrieves when an error has been detected. The error message "Data memory full!" Is retrieved when you have exceeded internal memory space in a Library.

As far as I know, it has nothing to do with the Song memory (which has a separate error message, "Song full", when you reach that limit).

You have space for a maximum of 64 Songs in memory.
Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Contents" > "Data Utility"
You will see a set of Folders, touch the "Song" folder to view the Songs in your current internal memory.

As the error you received concerns Library memory, touch the "Library" folder to view your currently installed data. A maximum of 8 can be installed.

Without additional information, we cannot tell you why you are seeing what you are seeing. Please provide some details on what you've been doing with your Montage. Thank you.

I have recorded three songs only and when I try to replace one, or one part of one, I can t...

Please include your method when you attempt to "replace one" or you attempt to replace "one part of one". These statements are unusual, the Recorder (as you noted, is not a Sequencer), it is a Direct Performance Recorder. You create your Performance first, then you record it.

Let us know what you are doing.

Posted : 04/11/2016 5:09 pm
Topic starter

I erase all the songs in Utility. On the first new song I recor, the same problem occurs. Everyone might encounter the problem cause I have a montage 6 and à montage 7 and the same problem is on both...

In fact when you re in a performance and you record one song and start several times again at thé begining or at some measure to change a part of the song (not à part of the performance...), the message Data memory full appears and you can t record anymore... Unless you load another song, then come back to the first one: then you can record again, once or twice... Till the same problem occurs...

It s à memory bug linked to à single recording time, no ?

Posted : 05/11/2016 9:40 pm
Bad Mister

No.

Please give an example, which Performance are you attempting to record?
And please be clearer on exactly what you are doing...

Posted : 05/11/2016 11:14 pm
 Jens

I realize this is a quite old thread, but I am experiencing something very similar. I am using the latest firmware. When I record with the "Piano+Analog kit" from the MOTIF XF bank, I get the "Data memory full" message. This occurs after recording approximately two minutes in one go. The performance has three parts, drums, bass and piano. I am recording these three parts at once. I thought I might have reached some limit, since I had quite a lot of songs saved, so I deleted a bunch. This temporarily fixed the problem yesterday, but today it occurred again. I have not added any songs since then. I had done quite a few takes when this happened, my theory is that it's something to do with long takes, possibly with a long take in the undo buffer. I'll try to reproduce it, but so far it's hard to find a pattern. I have done longer tracks with more parts before, but I usually don't record long pieces at a time.

Searching for this issue didn't turn up much, so I guess this is not a common problem? Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Posted : 14/01/2019 7:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It may help to document the statistics in the [UTILITY] "Contents" area for the Songs folder. According to the supplementary manual, the maximum number of MIDI songs you can record in the recorder is 128 using Firmware version 2.0 and above or 64 using Firmware below version 2.0. This doesn't sound like your issue since you deleted "a bunch" and ran into the problem seemingly recording less songs than you deleted. But the statistics would tell you how close you are to the song limit waterline if that was any issue.

Scanning the thread - I see there was previous advice on how to navigate to the song statistics. It may be worthwhile to follow that just for the sake of documentation in the thread.

Since the error is "supposed" to be related to library memory - you can also go to the contents area and open the Library folder which will tell you the statistics for Library usage and report that. One would think if you used 0/8 Libraries - a library data full type error would be stranger than if you showed 8/8 libraries used.

Not that this is a silver bullet for the fix - just data collection.

Posted : 14/01/2019 8:43 pm
 Jens

Recording playing 8ths at 45 bpm for 3:11 I could reproduce it. Recording it goes fine, but trying to record over the same track again you get the "Data memory full" message. However I can not reproduce it by recording a preset arpeggio, so it seems to have something to do with the human factor while playing. If nothing else I should be able to send one of the song files if it can't be reproduced in other ways.

Posted : 14/01/2019 8:45 pm
 Jens

Library 3/8, Song 30/128, Wave form 980MB/1.8GB.

Posted : 14/01/2019 9:12 pm
 Jens

The Owner's Manual states "Data memory full. The internal memory is full, preventing storing of the recorded data in the Library". Reading the reference manual it would seem that the Edit buffer for the song is full. The edit buffer would be some sort of RAM as I understand it, and I haven't seen any figures of what it should be capable of holding.

"The edit buffer is the memory location for edited data of these types: Performance, Live Set, and Song.
Although the edit buffer is designed specifically for data writing and data reading, the data contained in
the edit buffer is lost when the power is turned off. You should always store edited data to User memory
before editing new performance or before turning off the power. Data other than Performance and Motion
Sequence are automatically stored."

So as I record, this edit buffer is exhausted and the result is not automatically stored in the User memory.

Posted : 14/01/2019 9:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us