Notifications
Clear all

Recording Montage with Ipad (Cubasis)

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!
Montage is a great musical instrument and a pleasure for my ears!
I would like to record multitrak on Cubasis ios (Ipad).
What do you think about about these two different ways:

1: using usb directly to Ipad with multitrack mode, for example with drums: kick on part 1, snare on 2....; and each part record on own track.

2: using audio output, connected to audio interface (Steinberg, Apogee,....)with ios compatibility; with this method, no multitrack recording on same time, but stunning Pure Analog Circuit sound!!!!

And about remote control, does it work wiht Cubasis ios?
Thank you!!

Posted : 03/01/2019 9:40 am
Bad Mister

It’s not really about what anyone thinks about these methods, it’s the results you get and whether you are happy with them. Before you embark on any adventures or spend any additional money, a few questions:

1) have you made recordings using the provided methods? — Cubase AI On Computer/laptop (Multi-Track)
2) have you tried recording audio direct to a USB STICK? (Stereo)
3) have you tried recording direct to iPad using an App like the Yamaha Cloud Audio Recorder? (Stereo)

How do you feel about the results?

Posted : 03/01/2019 6:59 pm
Topic starter

I don't tried tried these methods, only one song directly from audio output to audio interface to Ipad (Cubasis); result was as good as I can ear with Montage only.
I don't use computer for music, only Ipad.

Posted : 03/01/2019 7:19 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your answer Bad Mister!

Posted : 03/01/2019 7:19 pm
Bad Mister

Please see the following video

Audio Recording with Cubasis

Posted : 05/01/2019 3:43 am
Topic starter

I already seen this video, I talked to Dom about difference between usb and analogue output, for Modx usb is the best way but for Montage, Pure Analogue Circuit is better sounding than usb forsome people (with good audio interface).
Thank you!

Posted : 05/01/2019 7:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

USB is certainly easier to avoid degrading the signal. When you interface analog to anything - you're altering the digital signal with every connection and cable. Maybe for the better - maybe for the worse. At some level, this is subjective.

If you record digital - this should be the same digital signal inside Montage before running through its own D/A. Therefore, when you "play back" this digital signal - if Montage is your "sound card" (audio output device) - then the digital signal can pass through Montage and out PAC. This should result in an identical sound as would originally have come out Montage's analog outputs.

However, if you record the analog output - then this implies you are adding cables and an audio interface to capture the output of Montage's analog outputs. Here is where the cables, connections, and ADC of the interfacing audio interface will alter the sound. If you play this digitized version of PAC's output back on Montage - you'll end up with something certainly different than what would have come out of Montage's PAC originally. This is because the cables, connections, and additional audio interface have "colored" the sound after the signal exits the PAC domain into all the extra equipment you've added.

I would personally record in the digital domain (USB) and then use the analog domain only in final master (and only after establishing this is the best way to get a final mix - there may be other alternatives). And only going through this step after having "A/B"'d the final master sound of a digitized version of the analog output vs. the original full-digital-path recording. You may also find some other plugins for mastering that take the clean digital signal and process it in a way that agrees with you even more than digitizing Montage's analog output.

I'm not advocating for you to record/master Montage or MODX in any particular way. Only warning against the notion that because someone says Montage's analog outputs are good that this means you should cater to that with your workflow. It's really easy to "mess up" an analog output by how and what you connect to it. Digital doesn't do this - and Montage's internal sounds can still be sent through analog when you record digital. Analog is "additive" to the digital domain. You can't really undo the coloring you add when recording analog.

That said - you may still prefer exactly the sound you get when doing it the way you're planning. Just make sure you've done this for the right reasons.

Posted : 06/01/2019 6:17 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your advice Jason!

Posted : 06/01/2019 6:45 am
natalini
Estimable Member

is there plan to develop a montage daw remote for cubasis ?

Posted : 28/06/2020 12:02 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us