Notifications
Clear all

Recording/sequencing

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

I've read the posts about the montage ability to sequence,how it records etc..it being a performance based machine,realtime.i'm assuming it can be everything and more when integrated with DAW compared to an onboard sequencer?When you export info to your computer does it retain all realtime changes you made during the performance i.e superknob functions,and can you edit these?thanks

Posted : 10/01/2017 7:21 pm
Ron
 Ron
Eminent Member

Hi Mark there are 2 options when recording and edit with extra tracks using the mix / effects options on each single performance track when using the on board recording sequencer . i do as mush possible edits on a multi track sequence performance and record the finally multi track performance set up and use the super knop in real time recording as a audio wave file on the montage recorder , once i have that wave file saved on a connected usb pin drive you can not edit again all single tracks when use the wave file on a daw so it becomes a one single audio file . when recording on montage the same performance creation as a midi file and save also on the usb , then you can open the performance file in all single tracks in your cubase daw and yamaha connect software browser see video >>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orjucDcoyI&t=569s

Posted : 10/01/2017 11:06 pm
Bad Mister

Mark wrote:

I've read the posts about the montage ability to sequence,how it records etc..it being a performance based machine,realtime.i'm assuming it can be everything and more when integrated with DAW compared to an onboard sequencer?When you export info to your computer does it retain all realtime changes you made during the performance i.e superknob functions,and can you edit these?thanks

The Montage comes with a free download of Cubase AI (DAW) so you will be able to discover exactly how it works with a computer.

The skills you will want to master are those that involve recording audio, recording MIDI - if and when you require to edit your performing data - then rendering the corrected MIDI data as audio. The Montage features an unprecedented 32-bus audio output system, that allows you to discreetly record your selected instruments to the DAW.

The DAW, when set properly will record every move you make with the Montage's array of controllers, however, when the Super Knob is involved you may be controlling scores of parameters simultaneously, so editing results is really a function of programming, not manipulating MIDI events on a track. Here's what I mean: say the Super Knob is simultaneously responsible for switching the Rotary Speaker Speed from Slow to Fast, slightly closing a filter on the a Part, panning another Part slightly to the right, while increasing the Amplitude Modulation on a Pad - editing any one of these is not going to be accomplished by manipulating events on a track, but rather by editing the program and your Control Assignments.

Before Montage came out you could see how many folks were initially confused by the above statement, but the behavior of a multiple Destination controller Knob requires if you want to change how, for example, just the panning (as one of several Destinations simultaneously manipulated) is moving, you'll need to adjust the Curve, Ratio etc of exactly how that parameter is adjusted at the Control Assign screen. So editing is less involved as an after-the-fact exercise, but more on the synthesis side, it is an activity done while creating the sound. Montage is a synthesizer. The degree and depth of Control Assignments is on a new level of complexity and will open new doors to creativity.

Posted : 11/01/2017 10:03 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us