Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Remote display of montage screen

43 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
18.2 K Views

BM, ack your point about not rushing out and spending money on non-compliant devices, however clarification will be required on which port is used.
Obviously there must have been some way that the touch screen image could be projected/used by presentation software.
You stated the "To Device" port and I just quoted what page 54 states ie apart from a flash drive, nothing else can be used.
There must be people who have a need to view a larger screen image.
That then raises the next query - if they use a touchscreen can they control the Montage from the external device??:o

Posted : 10/06/2016 1:21 pm
Stephan

Just for fun I tried an old StarTech USB to DVI I had laying around. Has the green bar at the bottom but works. I haven't played with any settings yet was just curious to see it up. I would wait for the official listing of compatible devices before using this officially.

Montage to Monitor
StarTech USB to DVI

Posted : 10/06/2016 1:22 pm
david
Reputable Member

I'm a relatively nice guy but let me see if I can wade through all of BMs posts and find a mistake to dog him about. Never mind, he does great work and I did screw that up. Thanks for not rubbing it in and making me feel 2 inches tall BTW. πŸ˜‰ Actually, I made the mistake 3 times but thanks for not pointing that out either. Pointing it out twice and then emphasizing "(which he made twice)" was bad enough. πŸ™‚ Just remember that there's no "i" in host like there is in teaim.

Posted : 10/06/2016 1:33 pm
Scott

Nice, this would be the bee's knees for my aging eyes.

Also, there are a lot of 'perfect' screen capture images in your tutorials Phil. Would be nice to be able to do that for passing along questions or making personal reminders and notes.

Posted : 10/06/2016 9:44 pm
david
Reputable Member

See attcahed results from Plugable USB 2.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 1920x1080P

Again, this is a pretty big deal for some of us that struggle to see or would like to look in a different direction while programming and yet Yamaha never mentions this capability. It's not just a good teaching tool in public but I'll use it a lot in the studio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AIJE9G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached files

Posted : 11/06/2016 6:38 pm

Just asking if anyone has tried plugging in a USB keyboard into the Montage for data entry?
As an aside has anyone tried these adapters on a Motif XS/XF/MOXF for a larger screen image.
Thanks

Posted : 12/06/2016 2:05 am
david
Reputable Member

Got this 23" ViewSonic in place.

Attached files

Posted : 12/06/2016 11:28 pm

Hi guys
Looking forward to my Montage arriving soon. I also spotted the video screen on a recent Japanese demo youtube video of the Montage and was curious if this was a special mod or if it could be done. Does the VGA USB convertor plug into the normal USB port on the montage (for USB memory sticks)? Has anyone else tried any converters and if so what results? I'd like to get something inexpensive to do this so need to be sure what works and doesn't!

Simon

Posted : 13/06/2016 2:56 pm
david
Reputable Member

Simon. Did you read this post? We've already answered all of your questions in great detail and even with product links. Yes, it plugs into the "USB to device" port. I'm also looking into what might happen when a USB hub is attached to the Montage so I can use several devices at once.

Posted : 13/06/2016 8:02 pm

Startech USB3 to VGA doesn't work....

Attached files

Posted : 19/06/2016 4:10 pm
david
Reputable Member

Marcel wrote:

Startech USB3 to VGA doesn't work....

Do you even get a green screen?

Make certain that you have the monitor on first or if you have a self powered hub, they must be turned on before you power up the Montage. At some early stage of the boot-up process the Montage sends out a signal to the device and if it's not on then it won't work.

The Montage USB port is only 2.0 500mA compatible and some USB3 devices require 900mA which is not good for the Montage port.

Thus far my Plugable devices have worked flawlessly.

Never use any "bus powered" USB splitters either.

Posted : 19/06/2016 8:39 pm

The Montage's /usr/bin/daisy-start script contains the stanza

Β Β Β Β if grep udlfb /proc/fb; then
Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β DISPLAY_OPTIONS="-display 'Multi: LinuxFb:/dev/fb0 LinuxFb:/dev/fb1'"
Β Β Β Β fi

so the USB adaptors that will work are those supported by the udlfb driver in the Montage's Linux 3.12 kernel, i.e. USB2 adaptors using the Displaylink chipset.

Unfortunately, you'd have to be quite lucky to find the actual chipset specified by the manufacturers of cheap USB peripherals. Usually documentation is pretty thin and often just extends to a buggy driver for an obsolete version of Windows. Google can help, though, and the Displaylink chips were very popular and are used in a lot of different adaptors, so you're not too unlikely to be successful trying a random USB2 one provided it isn't too new...

However, you do need to be a bit careful of more recent adaptors. The udlfb driver only supports the older USB2 chips, not the newer USB3 ones as used in the Displaylink own-brand DL-3000 series and later. (As far as I know, these still aren't supported by mainline kernels, and certainly weren't back in late 2013 when 3.12 was released.)

Posted : 20/06/2016 3:00 pm
david
Reputable Member

I receive this replay from Plugable:

Hello David,

Very interesting! So it is Linux as I suspected. To further this discussion a little: What this snippet of text is referring to is the DisplayLink chip family designated DL1x5 that will only work in this Linux environment. What this translates into products is our UGA-165 (which you have) -> http://www.plugable.com/products/uga-165 and our USB-VGA-165 -> http://www.plugable.com/products/usb-vga-165. These are the two types of display adapters that house this DisplayLink chip.

Posted : 21/06/2016 1:20 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member
Michael

david wrote:

See attcahed results from Plugable USB 2.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 1920x1080P

Again, this is a pretty big deal for some of us that struggle to see or would like to look in a different direction while programming and yet Yamaha never mentions this capability. It's not just a good teaching tool in public but I'll use it a lot in the studio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AIJE9G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edited: deleted question re need for Windows computer - looks like can directly connect the right pluggable (USB 2.0) to Montage...

Has anyone tried using the Plugable (usb 2.0) with iPad Duet Display app via a lightning to AV connector?

If this works, then can use iOS screen capture (simultaneous press of Slieep/Wake and Home buttons) to capture the Montage screen..

Posted : 21/06/2016 4:31 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us