Clear all

Restart wave and envelopes on keypress

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure of the correct terminology for this on Yamaha synths but when I want to do this on one of my DSI synths I set the wave and/or envelopes to restart every time a key is pressed. I've searched the performance but can't see anything obvious.

If you take the Dynamic Mini performance as an example. If you don't fully release a key before the next one is pressed, it sounds different (dynamic !!). This is fine but sometimes I don't want this to happen, I want it to play as if the previous key has been released. If I set the performance to poly rather than mono it obviously does this but I want to be able to do this in mono mode as well (sometimes).

So I'd like to be able to turn off the dynamic mode for this performance. I assume it's called dynamic mode but I could be wrong πŸ™‚

Posted : 09/05/2021 12:48 pm

I'm guessing the parameter you are referring to is 'portamento'. you can turn this off in Part Settings
Edit - Part 1 - Common - Part Settings - Pitch - Portamento Part Switch

Posted : 09/05/2021 3:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Just adding more info:

Portamento has two modes: fingered and full-time. Fingered means when you play detached (lift your finger off the key with some "space" between notes - then press your next key) - the portamento will not sound. When using fingered mode, the portamento will sound if you play legato (meaning press a 2nd key with no space between the two notes). Portamento being the "slide" (trombone-style glissando between notes) of pitch-bend-like notes between two different notes. If the mode is "full-time" - then it will not matter if you play detached. The portamento will always sound assuming portamento is switched ON.

If you turn portamento mode off completely - then every note will act as if you were playing "fingered" and "detached" even when playing legato. There will be no portamento sound.

Posted : 09/05/2021 4:56 pm
Bad Mister

The Common (AWM2) PART parameter that determines if multiple instances of a Waveform can sound is called β€œKey Assign”.
It can be set to β€œSingle” or β€œMulti”. It determines what happens when there are repeated Note-On events.

Select the [PART] > β€œPart Settings” > β€œGeneral” > β€œKey Assign”

Settings: Single, Multi
Single: Double or repeated playback of the same note is not possible. The first note will be stopped, then the next note will be sounded.
Multi: All notes are sounded simultaneously. This allows playback of the same note when it is played multiple times in succession (especially for tambourine and cymbal sounds that you would want to ring out to their full decay).

Single is useful when two or more instances of the same note are received nearly simultaneously, or without a corresponding note off message. To allow playback of each instance of the same note, set this to Multi.

Posted : 09/05/2021 5:46 pm
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone. I was looking in all the wrong places πŸ™‚

Posted : 09/05/2021 8:44 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us