Clear all

Rhythm Pattern

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi all.

Does anyone else think the new rhythm pattern feature/button on the MODX would be a nice addition to the montage?

I feel like if I have a nice sound that I am grooving on, and want to add a drum part to it, from my understanding there are multiple steps I need to do to get a drum assigned.

Wonder if they will include some type of implementation like this on the Montage eventually.

What do you guys think?

Kevin

Posted : 15/09/2018 9:31 pm
Stefan

I totally expect this to appear on the Montage in the next firmware update. From all I have seen the firmware is practically identical between the two except for changes due to hardware differences. And making this accessible via on-screen button seems like a no-brainer to me. Why should the flagship not have it, when the cheap spin-off has it???

Posted : 16/09/2018 2:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I haven't studied, in detail, what the feature does or how it would be different than options available already on Montage. I'm not saying there is not some difference - just that the differences have not been clearly articulated as a MODX vs. Montage example.

I can say that anything to do with drum ARPs is a very thin slice of my usage pie-chart. None of my gig Performances have any drum ARPs. ARPs, in general (drum or not) are very light usage for me. Something that is a shortcut to making adding things I do not use would not serve me -- so that's just from my seat. I wouldn't envy a cheaper keyboard having different features even if it is heavily borrowing features from one I own.

I'm interested if there are any influences from MODX that make their way to Montage - this just isn't one that peaks my interest. Idle curiosity, perhaps.

If I did want to add a drum pattern, I'd use the usual method.

[PERFORMANCE] (HOME)
Touchscreen [+] to add a part (one extra step)
Category filter to drums with sub-category of the genre I was interested in (also available as physical buttons if I didn't want to touch the screen) (two extra steps)
Pick a drum kit (same as MODX I assume)
Then have ARP 1-8 (or however many the drum kit has assigned) to change patterns. (not avail with MODX - maybe touchscreen only)

Montage doesn't have a physical button - so either this feature would have to be touchscreen-only or some [SHIFT] feature - or some narrow "the button works in this mode" kind of thing. In other words, not the easiest-to-use button relative to a dedicated one. If you start adding steps in order to "get into" this feature - this starts to erode the utility of having such a shortcut. Maybe it can save one step. Maybe that has value to some. We'll see. Also, I don't pretend to represent the majority and am biased by my own usage.

... "on screen button" I suppose could be in the top row - a "global" thing that can be accessed anywhere. In which case it doesn't consume a step so "getting into" this mode on Montage isn't any different for those comfortable using touchscreen. I don't see this as a gig-time feature -- but that's my bias again. Others may relate to the feature differently and have a different opinion if touchscreen is even reasonable.

Posted : 16/09/2018 8:34 am
Eminent Member

Having watched Blake's demo today, I would find this feature useful.

Posted : 16/09/2018 6:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us