Notifications
Clear all

Rhythm patterns to download for Montage

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Ol
Topic starter

Can i find somewhere rhythm patterns to download for my new Montage 6 ?
thks

Posted : 26/03/2017 2:46 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That's a very open-ended question. Kind of like - does anyone know where to find a table I can put under the Montage?

Anything specific you're looking for as far as genre, commercial or not, etc. What kind of patterns, specifically, were you looking for - ARPs, motion sequences, songs, ???

Since Montage loads MIDI files - you can get all kinds of MIDI files with rhythmic patterns from all kinds of places.

Posted : 27/03/2017 2:32 am
 Ol
Topic starter

Yes you're right, i'm looking for some funk, hiphop drum loops, Probably ARPs (i'm musician "guitar, sax, piano" for some years know but bigginer in Montage, i like the CATEGORY drum section in Montage but the choice is limited, i'm looking for some good pro loops, commercial or not.
thanks for your answer
Olie from Nice, France (sorry for my english)

Posted : 27/03/2017 4:04 am
Bad Mister

There are over 3,200 Drum grooves in the Montage. Just FYI.

Posted : 27/03/2017 11:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Categorization (assigned main and sub category) isn't always 100% spot-on. I don't have the keyboard setup now - but I imagine if I narrow the search to main=Drum/Perc and sub=R&B/Hip-Hop, then there isn't as large of a list as the OP was looking for. There's no funk sub-category, so not really sure what category the OP was using to try to find that genre.

Since I later summarize what I found by my own category search - I'm going to "push back" to the OP and say - maybe you do not yet know how to search for what you're looking for. Unless 516 drum grooves are not enough for hiphop+funk.

Moving on ...

First some less helpful stuff - but I'm just going in order of using "funk" as a search term in the data list ...

There is a kit with "funk" in the title: "Midnight Funk". Some consider groove music with organ as funk. There's a "Groove Organ" drum kit - this kit uses what's called a funk bass drum - whatever that is - and a funk snare - maybe tighter snare. The ScotsAccordion MMM kit also uses funk drum pieces, but I don't think this would be a funk kit with "Accordion". It's hard to decode this (what MMM means, for example). I've asked for some docs of the presets which would help to serve as a decoder ring for some of the intent and usage of the presets. There's a "T3 Uber Funk" kit - but I think this is probably more in the dance category. There's a "Funk Motion Pad" kit.

I notice the piano main category ARPs have a "funk" sub-category. The titles of the arps further sub-sub categorize into jazz, gospel, and 70s disco funk. The keys main category ARPs have a "funk" sub-category. Sub-sub category by title are funk (just funk), "cool" funk, jazz pop, disco, and clav funk.

The organ main category ARPs have "funk" too: Jazz, just organ funk.

The guitar main category of ARPs have "funk" - just funk, cool funk, jazz funk, "funky", clean, "news", spanky - and mega ones too: urban funk, just funk, funk pop rock, jazz funk, jazz pop (funk), gospel funk, funk disco, and 70s disco funk

The Bass main category of ARPs have "funk" - lots of stuff ... basically, all I'm doing is searching for "funk" in the data list.... you can do the rest.

The more useful stuff starts here ...

Probably more in the "groove" would be the 147 drum arpeggios - numbers 7740-7886 which are in the Drum/Percussion category and funk sub-category. Notice in the "sound type" column (last one on right) there is a drum kit listed. So you would load up this kit, and select any of the arpeggios which matches the drum kit you have loaded. The kit itself (performance) may use some of the arpeggios in the list - but there are too many for a single kit - so you'll have to manually swap in/out different ARPs to preview them. I would argue there are already some patterns you are not yet aware of right there at your fingertips.

When you edit a PART - there should be a "common" Arpeggio menu - and you should be able to pick the sub-menu which shows all arpeggios, in summary form, and lets you swap out the arpeggio for something else. Using the data list - you could enter them by number - or search for the longer name. The Drum/Percussion ARP category does have a funk sub-category with the 147 patterns (ARPs) summarized - so you could filter the list and pick. Although the datalist is needed to get the drum kit to properly "line up".

The Drum/Percussion main category and HipHop sub-category of ARPs has ** 369 ** drum arpeggios 6980-7348. Same guidance as the funk drums in terms of how to use these.

You could go searching for performances which use "funk" labeled ARPs - but there's not a really great way to do this on Montage. Probably best to build your own drum patterns from the ground-up using the data list and ARPs as a guide.

Search for "funk" and you'll pretty much be off to the races with days of work ahead.

This "3200" number can be intimidating. You probably don't care about Iranian "world" drum patterns and a ton of others that do not match the categories you mentioned. The combined number of hiphop+funk grooves (147 + 369) is 516. Not a flash in the pan - but certainly not "thousands" which generally makes people turn their nose up to managing arps. It's really up to you to "cut down" the list according to what you want - and you have. Considering most "grooves" have 6 or so "sections" for a coherent "song" with a main groove, some busier stuff, and some variation - that's about 86 "different" grooves if my "6" number is a good enough average.

Posted : 27/03/2017 11:45 am
Bad Mister

The thing about categories is if you work within them you're letting someone else define your music for you. There quite possibly would have been no such thing as "drum n bass" had not some one decided to use r&b drum grooves, retuned and sped up. Draw your own category lines, there are over 3200 drum grooves in the Montage... how you use them, what you assign them to, is entirely up to you. The Iranian or Turkish drum grooves might be the next big thing... it depends on what you do with them.

Learn to mix and match the components of each you like.
Build your own Drum Kits.
Record your own.

Posted : 27/03/2017 2:44 pm
Ron
 Ron
Eminent Member

Duhhh ..!!

Posted : 28/03/2017 12:39 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us