Notifications
Clear all

Routing Problem with Cubase 9 and Montage

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I hope you understand me. I use an iMac (newest IOS) with the Montage as Interface.
My "Basic Recording Setup" is only one Midi-Lane (all Channels on) and one Audio-Lane. I use the Cubase/Monatage settings from the descriptions in this forum (Cubase-Recording-Setup).
So i can record Midi oder Audio. Or "render" the Midi-Lane to the Audio-Lane. ... If my recording is ok, I take the recorded lane and give her a new lane....and use my Start-Setup for more recording
My Problem is (an Cubase issue?) that, when I start the Recording in Cubase the Lane-Speakerbutton get´s automatically aktiv - and I hear the sound twice. If I stop the Speakerbutton - I´ve the sound only once. (The Recording is only one Signal). I haven´t activated the Monitoring SetUp in Cubase.

What do I wrong?

Thank you!

Thomas

Posted : 10/07/2017 10:08 am
Bad Mister

When you connect the Montage to a computer DAW multiple signal paths are created.
There is MIDI signal going from the Montage Keyboard to Cubase... and because LOCAL CONTROL = OFF, the data must be THRU'd back to the Montage by the Cubase MIDI Track.

MIDI Data returns to trigger the Montage Tone Generator... which creates the audio signal.

You can now send the AUDIO signal to your Monitor Speakers (by what is called "Direct Monitor") - this allows you to hear yourself "direct" (without any latency introduced by the computer).

If you opt to additionally record Audio, you can route each PART of the Montage to a digital (USB) output. If you are going to record Audio you can opt to 'monitor' that audio... (the Cubase Speaker icon automatically comes on).

If you would rather not listen to this audio Return, you can activate the "M" (Mute) on the track. Muting this audio will still allow it to be recorded, it just will not be sent to Montage as your audio interface. Instead you will be monitoring the DIRECT MONITOR (zero latency) signal.

To understand this Direct Monitor feature:

Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Settings" > "Audio I/O"
Because "DIRECT MONITOR" is ON, you hear the Montage signal direct to the audio Outputs
Turn "Direct Monitor" = OFF, you can see in the graphic in this screen, how this interrupts the Montage signal from going to the analog Main L&R Output. It only goes to the USB output options: L&R, USB1-30

From this graphic you can understand the double signal.

You can defeat the doubling in the Montage (Direct Monitor On/Off) or or you prevent it by Muting the audio Return during record ("M" on the audio Track).

The Cubase speaker icon (tan) let's you Monitor through the track for when not yet in record... it automatically comes on when you enter Record... if you do not wish to monitor the signal here, use the Track Mute ("m") on the Audio Track.

Just so you know, you WOULD monitor the signal through the audio Track when you are processing the Return signal with Plugin Effects and wish to hear them.

So it is completely normal for the "double signal" situation to exist, it is your choice as to which you want to monitor. You want to monitor one or the other, never both.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 10/07/2017 7:13 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's really awesome to have support for both Montage and Cubase in one place (for lots of questions) due to the tight integration of the two products.

I'm not a "DAW guy" - and it looks like my setup doesn't match because when I record an audio track - the Cubase monitor (orange speaker) doesn't automatically turn on. I took a look around and found a thread:

https://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/34601/how-can-i-automatically-turn-off-track-monitoring-during-playback

Which led me to Cubase 9: "File" -> "Preferences" -> "VST". Under this screen, I could see "Auto Monitoring" is set to "Manual" for me. Maybe yours is set to "While Record-Enabled" or "While Record Running"?

... another thread explains what these settings are

Source (note: quote is another user typing - I do not personally recommend any mode over another):

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53895

While Record Enabled (which CharleyG recommends)
This option turn on input monitoring when you arm the track, regardless of if you are actually recording or not.

While Record Running
This option switches to input monitoring when you actually hit the record button in the transport bar.

Tapemachine Style (which I strongly recommend using)
This option works like a tape recorder. While you are in Stop mode, you are monitoring the input, while in Playback mode you monitor what is previously recorded and while in Record mode you monitor what is being recorded (i.e. the input).

... Cubase for me is set to "Manual".

Speaking of manual:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/recording/recording_monitoring_via_cubase_t.html

... and each mode defined:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/preferences/preferences_vst_r.html#preferences_vst_r

Auto Monitoring
Determines how Cubase handles monitoring (listening to the input signal during recording). The following options are available:

Manual

This option allows you to turn input monitoring on or off by clicking the monitor button in the track list, Inspector, or MixConsole.

While Record Enabled

With this option you will hear the audio source connected to the channel input whenever the track is record-enabled.

While Record Running

This option switches to input monitoring only during recording.

Tapemachine Style

This option emulates standard tapemachine behavior: input monitoring in Stop mode and during recording, but not during playback.

Posted : 10/07/2017 9:11 pm
Topic starter

Many thanks to you for the detailed answer! I will try it.

Posted : 12/07/2017 12:37 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us