Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sample Editing Features

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I used to own an EX5 back in the day. What I really loved about that synth was it's facility to edit samples. Of course, it was a sampler! I noticed that sample editing features are absent on the Montage. It's not a sampler,surprise! But rather it can play samples. I feel that if sample editing features were added to the Montage it would make it the perfect synth, at least for me. As I'm trying to stay away from the computer, for production, as much as possible. My question is: Are there any plans to add sample editing features to the Montage?

Posted : 15/08/2016 12:21 am
Bad Mister

Sergio,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth!
You understand everything. This is not a sampler. Yes, it can load samples. Why shouldn't it have the ability to edit samples? A legitimate question. Let's take a look at why... What would you need to have powerful editing on board the synth, and what would you be willing to give up?

First, you'd need a couple of gigabytes of working RAM. When editing, you realize, it's optimum to be working on a "copy" of your data, just in case you make a huge mistake, you can just "undo" and try again. This working RAM area is expensive (I'm sure you've purchased a computer and are aware it's the RAM, not the screen, not the hard drive, not box it comes in, not the QWERTY, that is the single biggest expense on a computer (outside the CPU itself). Then you'd have to have all the additional stuff that goes with editing the sample quickly and efficiently.

Since you don't seem to like computers, let me describe where they are now some 30-35 years into the computer era. As far as editing and mapping samples, anyone who has done this on a computer will tell you, is once you've done it, you'll never look back.

One of the CF piano waveforms has some 250 samples in it. Creating them is a ton of work... But individual mapping each one, each-by-each, in the screen of the keyboard... Versus.... Looking at them in a list, hold Shift + Click the first and last in the list and clicking automap and your world changes. You'll never do it any other way. What manually takes over an hour happens so quickly you don't really believe it. (Why? The computer is specifically focused on doing this kind of task)!

We've chosen to focus Montage's CPU on sound creation. Viva la synthesizer!

As I'm trying to stay away from the computer, for production, as much as possible.

so you want to 'cripple' the synth to include something that clearly is done easily, quickly, and more efficiently on a computer. The Montage is a real world synth, in the sense that it's designed to integrate with the computer. It leaves things best done by a specific tool to that tool, and does what that tool cannot.

The computer is excellent at organizing, collecting, and graphics (drawing pictures), those things Montage lets the computer do, Montage's hardware is concentrated on being sonically a "next level" experience, with several new features folks are just beginning to discover. We are in the phase where it's being viewed / compared with what keyboard synths already do, but shortly you'll begin to hear things that only Montage could do.

Don't be Rip van Winkle, avoiding the computer in the area of music production... Hmmm, I don't think it's going away. It's just now (in the past two-three years) the computer has gotten to the point it can handle 32 audio inputs via USB. We could do 100 audio channels 13 years ago, but you needed FireWire! Now USB (finally) is broad enough to move multiple audio channels efficiently (it was always fast enough, speed is a spec the computer industry likes because every believes it's better, but now it has the bandwidth)

Sure we could have made it so the keyboard recorded the 32 audio channels, but again, what do you want to give up?
We choose to make the Montage the most powerful music synthesizer we could build. And specifically integrated it with the computer for things like sequencing, sampling, organizing samples to Waveforms, recording the 32 audio outputs!

Instead of making the Montage the entire studio, we recognize the majority of players take their keyboards to a studio. We made Montage so that there is an elegant workflow when you link it to a computer. This was not an overnight thing, look at the last 30 years of synths at Yamaha. It's been evolution to get here. Lose the fear of computers (if that's what it is) - use it for the things it finally does reasonable well! 🙂

I hear your question and it sounds like:
I've been staying away from using email for communicating, as much as possible. I like stamps!
Is there any plans to make my snail mail communications arrive at their destination in seconds?
🙂 hope my humor, comes across...

It's time to use the best tool for the job. Thanks for the question.

Posted : 15/08/2016 12:35 pm
Eminent Member

I completely agree with Bad Mister!

So what we need is a standalone computer software sample editor, made by Yamaha.
And a VST plugin like the one for Motif XF. IMO.

I hope it will happen soon.;)

Posted : 15/08/2016 9:38 pm
Topic starter

That was a good post Bad Mister. Yes, your humor came through, it made me chuckle 🙂 . Just to be clear, I'm more interested in sample editing features for editing the samples in ROM. I'm not into multi samples so mapping is not a big deal for me. For instance, I was looking at the manual and I didn't see an option to reverse (sample editing feature) an AWM. Can this be done?

Thanks.

Posted : 18/08/2016 2:57 am
Bad Mister

No, the Montage can import finished Waveforms, it would have to be told to play 'reverse' in the Waveform data prior to be being imported. The Montage is not a sampler and does not edit samples on board.

Posted : 18/08/2016 12:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us