Notifications
Clear all

Save a performance in USB

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi all,

I have 2 Yamaha montage, 6 and 7, I have created a new performance and I want to save it in a USB and load it in the other Montage.

But I only want to save this performance, not all user performance, etc. .

I have tried as a Library, and a user, etc, but all my user peformances are saved in the USB, I only want to save a specific performance.

Sorry for my english

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Posted : 24/05/2017 7:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Note: I am calling "Montage #1" the Montage with the Performance you want to copy FROM and "Montage #2" as the destination.

Option 1:

Use Montage Connect and save as an .X7B file from Montage #1. Then use Montage Connect to load the .X7B file into your Montage #2. Finally, store the performance after loading the .X7B so it is saved or else it will "go away" after powering down or changing to another performance. Note: this assumes the performance uses only preset Waveforms and not user Waveforms (custom samples).

For "one-off" performance transfer from one Montage to another - .X7B is preferable since it does not affect any existing memory and has the least amount of steps to perform. The only downside is the need for a computer since Montage cannot natively save an .X7B (meaning you cannot use the Montage touchscreen/buttons/menus to save an .X7B).

Option 2

You can also first save your user area on Montage #1 as a library file (call it USERBAK.X7L for example). Then load your user area saved library (USERBAK.X7L) into a library slot into Montage #1. Next delete/erase all user memory. With a clean user area, import only the performance from the library to the user area of Montage #1. Last (for Montage #1), create a library from your user area. This library will have only one performance (call it ONEPERF.X7L for example). If you want your user area back the way it was before the shuffle, you can optionally re-import all from the USERBAK library into the user area then remove the library.

On Montage #2, load the single-performance library (ONEPERF.X7L). You can import that performance into user memory of Montage #2. If you want to free up the library slot, you can import this single performance into the user area. If you elect to import the performance, then after doing so, you can remove the library (ONEPERF) from Montage #2.

Posted : 24/05/2017 8:00 pm
Topic starter

Jason, thanks a lot!

Iยดll try to do it.

Good explanation

Although in Kurzweil this kind of thing was much easier... ๐Ÿ™‚

Regards!
Rubรฉn

Posted : 25/05/2017 6:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The defense for that is usually reminiscing about how Yamaha has come a long way because you (exaggeration follows: ) no longer have to use a soldering iron and program in machine code in order to transfer single performances between Yamaha keyboards. And how that process at one time took 72 hours to transfer 5 bytes of data.

Not entirely a useful trip down memory lane to help "fan off" the critique of today's file-system considering competition is seemingly doing a better job at this sliver of system design leading to a more positive customer experience. I understand the tech is different under the hood. But there's lots of ways to put bows around any kind of package so they still all look pretty and are easy to unwrap.

This is an area of growth. There's still plenty of time to gather feedback and perhaps see what can be done down the road.

I think your feedback does have value - and hopefully will help guide development.

Posted : 25/05/2017 7:26 am
Joe
 Joe
Eminent Member

Jason wrote:

The defense for that is usually reminiscing about how Yamaha has come a long way because you (exaggeration follows: ) no longer have to use a soldering iron and program in machine code in order to transfer single performances between Yamaha keyboards. And how that process at one time took 72 hours to transfer 5 bytes of data.

Haha well put

Posted : 25/05/2017 11:52 am
Bad Mister

A silly little discussion... but Just for some perspective...

If it is a simple Performance using just Factory Waveform or FM-X data, the transfer can indeed be handled by the Montage Connect program that will quickly and easily move your data from one Montage to another. This small utility is great for moving your own data to and from your long term storage (which we hope you keep) on your computer. And as long as it references your instrument's unique Waveform catalog, you will always be able to move programs back and forth - even those that reference custom Waveform data.

If your two Montages have the same Waveform catalog, then moving single programs could not be easier... no matter how complex

However, you both must realize that if the one single Performance in question contains custom Waveform data (new Samples) and the Waveform catalog in the target Montage is different.... then it matters not that it is 'just one specific Performance' or if you are moving 640 Performances, you have to account for the custom data in each device. So the fact that the system deals with "all of the Performances" (not just one) should not surprise you. Waveforms, after all can be used on an unlimited number of programs. And since the Waveform data can be a whole lot larger than the Performance parameters that turn it into playable entities... this situation arises.

If the data you want to move is (just) one Piano Performance from the Bosendorfer Library... it matters not if it is one or all potential Performances that use the Waveforms ... the basic Bosendorfer piano data takes up 400+ MB (all of the potential supporting Performance parameters, as data, hardly take up one percent of that... so your thinking that "I only want to move a specific one Performance" is placed in a clearer perspective. Particularly given the miniscule size of the Performance parameter Data compared to the size of the Waveform data...

Moving one User Performance or moving all potential 640 User Performances weighs about the same; it's a tiny amount of data, in the scheme of things. Now true it is unlikely you've made 640 Performances from the Bosendorfer data... it has but 16 Performances... but still moving one or all of Bosendorfer Piano Performances (Waveform and Samples) weighs over 400MB, moving all the supporting Performance parameter that use it is measured in a small number of kilobytes... 2-4Kb per..

So the time it takes is about the same to move one or all 16 (or all 640 for that matter).
So the "I only want one..." is in perspective.

It is troubling, I would imagine, for those who don't seem to understand how this impacts what you're doing (in reality). It's okay to continue to think the way you do about it, no harm is done, but I offer this explanation just for perspective.

Bottom line:
If your two Montages have the same Library catalogs moving the data one at a time with Montage Connect will be quick and easy. This is your best solution.
If the Montages have different catalogs, you will need to use the USB stick filing system - which automatically keeps track of moving the Waveforms, with the Performance parameters that support it. "automatically" means: once the file system installs the Waveform data, all the Performances in the file that use that data can be installed without having to Duplicate the Waveform data.

Loading (just) one at a time, you run the risk of later loading another from that Library and winding up with unnecessarily duplicated Waveforms in your catalog... don't want to confuse you but that's what can happen when you go down the road of loading 'just one'. By handling "all" the Performances when loading, Montage keeps track of what's in memory and which Performances use the data (efficiently).

Sorry, just some perspective, no exaggeration. Hope that helps.

Posted : 25/05/2017 1:23 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the answers.

I am going to do it. (Sorry again for my english and my explanation, as you can see my english is very low).

Thanks a lot .-)

Posted : 25/05/2017 4:20 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us