Clear all

Saving User Performances

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
John
 John
Topic starter

I'm trying to figure out how to properly save and access user performances that contain .wav files. I can create a user drum voice/ performance, and then I save it as a new performance. Now after loading several drum kits I get the "wav form full" message. SI what do I do now? I saved everything as a library file and that seemed to save everything, so can I just save the library files on a thumb drive and then delete it and basically start over? Pretty much lost at the is point.

Posted : 06/10/2016 1:39 am
Bad Mister

A "Waveform full" message: The maximum overall number of Waveforms has been exceeded when executing the related operations.

The total number of Waveforms is 2,048

When you Save your data as a Library file .X7L this will backup your current User memory (including any custom waveform data).
When you Save your data as a User file .X7U this will backup your current User memory (including any custom waveform data).

The difference is the User will include your UTILITY settings, and your Quick Setup templates.
The other difference is the Library file, when you LOAD it, contains instructions to install the data to an available Library slot in your Montage internal memory. Eight Libraries (each containing a maximum of 640 Performances) are available.

In either case once you make a backup file, you can clear your Montage internal User memory:
Press [UTLITY]
Touch "Contents" > "System"
The third box down on the right side of the screen is "Initialize User data"
This will clear completely the current User Performance data.

Posted : 06/10/2016 2:52 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm reading your message and was left with the question: how do i access or use the backup memory? Apparently, when saving data that has waveforms - it will create 2x the original number of waveforms due to the saved copy and the backup copy -- at least that's what I'm thinking I read.

From your guidance - I believe one method of access has been shared: one way to access the backup memory is to delete it (Initialize User data).

But I would think there wouldn't be much use for a backup if all you can do is delete the backup. Is there a user way to access (read) the backup? Or copy the backup area to a thumb drive? Or exchange current user memory with backup user memory?

Is the backup data preserved - or every time you do an operation that causes a backup - the "old" backup is overwritten? I ask because it seems the waveform count can "pile up" if multiple versions of the backup are allowed - then this is more than 2x. Can be 3+x the waveform count as the non-backup memory.

... and I imagine the waveform count includes the backup data (in other words, what's in the backup increments the waveform count the same as non-backup-memory) - or there wouldn't be an issue with leaving the backup memory alone.

I did search the manuals (owners manual - no real references to backup memory, reference manual - which talks about the Recall Buffer as backup memory - but also states that the Recall buffer is dynamic - so it is lost on powerdown). So no real references to the backup memory in the manuals. Did want to convey that I checked the manuals before the message.

Also did a search of "site:yamahasynth.com montage backup" which of course brings up lots of references to backup your data first before loading a user file and the like. I didn't go through all the pages of hits - but stopped after 4 or so.

Thanks for the details.

Posted : 06/10/2016 5:33 am
John
 John
Topic starter

Ok great. Is there a way to extract individual performances once you save a library file? For instance if I don't want a drum kit and it's associated samples loaded can I bypass it? And vice versa if I want to load a drum kit and it's associated samples that isn't in my Library 1 file, can I extract it from Library 2 and add it to Library 1?

Posted : 06/10/2016 7:49 pm
 Phil
Eminent Member

Try to think of a Library as a special instance of a read only memory which is created from the contents of the user area of the montage internal memory. To get it into the montage itself you would save the contents of the user area to a thumb drive and then load it from there into the montage memory again (8 separate libraries can be in the memory at once). All the performances in the libraries can be played but should you wish to make permanent changes to them they have to be imported into the user area (this might be what you mean by extraction). You could then save this as a new library file. What you can't do though is move performances between libraries within the montage itself. What you need to do is assemble all the performances you wish to have in the one library file by importing them to the user area from all the libraries stored in the machine then save this as a new library file and then reload it back into the montage.

Posted : 06/10/2016 10:25 pm
John
 John
Topic starter

Thanks for your help

Posted : 07/10/2016 12:10 am

When I first started looking at the utility file save interface it was really confusing as the user manual did not review the procedures on execution. I was left a little bit bewildered, especially with the button. Still have a hard time with this one.

Posted : 09/10/2016 3:27 pm
Bad Mister

Saving the settings to a USB flash memory device

1 Connect a USB flash memory device to the [USB TO DEVICE] terminal of this instrument.
2 Press the [UTILITY] button to call up the Utility display, and then touch the “Contents” tab > “Store/Save” tab in the left of the display.
3 Set “Content Type” to “UserFile.” Select Content type
4 Select the desired directory of the USB flash memory device.
5 Touch “+” in [Save As New File]. To overwrite an existing file touch the file name
6 The Text input display appears. Input the file name to be stored.
7 Touch [Done] on the Text input display to actually execute the Store operation.
NOTE:
To overwrite the existing file, select “YES” on the display which prompts you for confirmation.

When I first started looking at the utility file save interface it was really confusing as the user manual did not review the procedures on execution. I was left a little bit bewildered, especially with the button. Still have a hard time with this one.

When you are on the "Contents" > "Store/Save" screen seeking to Save a USER FILE, touching the "Job" option does the following: gives you an option to create a New Folder on your USB stick. It also places the "pop-in" icon in each box, touching a box will allow you manage your data, either Renaming the File or Deleting it.

The JOB box function will differ slightly depending on the "Contents Type" you are viewing.

Posted : 09/10/2016 4:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us