Notifications
Clear all

Simple program of part volume on super knob

27 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

The superknob assignment appears to be the part that works in the instructions above - in another thread I was asking if the AWM2 init voice responds to velocity variation - or is it fixed at one velocity like it appears my init voice is.

I didn't notice the velocity issue until I started with the superknob experiment although after a full reset of everything - the init voice still has no velocity sensitivity so I'm suspecting it's always been like that.

Early on, I started with the AWM2 init voice to program up a performance and noticed one of my parts didn't respond to velocity - maybe it's because I just used the default and only changed the elements as I was recreating a performance part based on a MO6 voice that is not available in Montage (or at least the name is different enough, I couldn't find it).

... so, not to be redundant - but:

Does everyone else's AWM2 Init seem to be at a fixed velocity for the piano sound that is the default?

Posted : 08/09/2016 8:16 pm
Brandon
Topic starter

Hans-Peter wrote:

Brandon wrote:

I did go through the blog 5, which looks to address my issue. When I go to Assign the Volume for the part, it doesn't apply itself to the super knob. I'm missing something here that is probably pretty simple.

The following video is just a screen recording taken for testing purposes. It does not have the final quality. But it covers your topic so it might be helpful, hopefully ... 😉

Have fun ...

Hans my man, that video worked! I was doing everything that you did, except at 49 seconds, what exactly is being adjusted? Is the knob 1 being adjusted or is the multi button being pushed? Anyway, I'll retrace my steps and see what did it for sure, but that totally works. Thanks so much! Did you make the video? That was pro and exactly what I needed. And, I got it just in time to use it at rehearsal.

Thank you to everyone who helped with this, it means a lot. It's a great feeling to go from frustration to relief.

Posted : 09/09/2016 4:15 am
Hans-Peter

Hey Brandon,

Brandon wrote:
Hans my man, that video worked! I was doing everything that you did, except at 49 seconds, what exactly is being adjusted? Is the knob 1 being adjusted or is the multi button being pushed? Anyway, I'll retrace my steps and see what did it for sure, but that totally works. Thanks so much! Did you make the video? That was pro and exactly what I needed. And, I got it just in time to use it at rehearsal.

... thanks a lot for your kind words. Yes, of course I produced this video. As mentioned, for me it was just a quick test using screen recording. The step at 0:49 was unnecessary in this case. If "Auto Select" is highlighted you can choose a controller source by activating it i.e. turning the Assignable Knob 1 to choose this quick in the display filter. Later in the video you can recognize that (as "Auto Select" was still active) the screen changed to After Touch due to my playing on the keyboard.

Have lots of fun with MONTAGE and bests for your rehearsal ... 😉

Posted : 09/09/2016 6:36 am
Eminent Member

Thanks guys for the information and video on how to control a part volume with the Super Knob.... I've watched the video numerous times and re-read this section several times, but still not getting it right.... If anyone could give me a step by step on this, that I could print out and keep, it would be great. Would really help so much..... Love my Montage... Thanks for this great forum.

Posted : 10/09/2016 4:40 am
Brandon
Topic starter

James wrote:

Thanks guys for the information and video on how to control a part volume with the Super Knob.... I've watched the video numerous times and re-read this section several times, but still not getting it right.... If anyone could give me a step by step on this, that I could print out and keep, it would be great. Would really help so much..... Love my Montage... Thanks for this great forum.

James, it's super easy for me now, hopefully I can make it super easy for you too. I don't have a good way to take pics though. I suggest you play the video HP created and pause it every step of the way, taking screenshots on your phone(if you have one). This will maintain the quality the best. Then email them to yourself. You can then type in the directions on each screenshot. That way, two years from now you can still look back on it.

Press Performance(Home) button.

Press Edit button.

Go to Control on screen, then Control Assign.

Make sure Display Filter says AsgnKnob1.

Press the "+" symbol in the empty box below "Display Filter" box.

Change "Destination 1" description to "Part 2 Assign 1". In this case, that's what you do. If you are working with Part 8 in your performance, you would scroll to "Part 8 Assign 1" instead. I'm wondering if that's where you are missing it, idk.

Then press the Part Select button on the keyboard that corresponds to the part you are actually editing, this case would be button 2.

Next, under "Mod/Control", then "Control Assign", make sure Display Filter still says Assign Knob 1.

Now highlight whatever is in the box or boxes on the next line below "Display Filter-Assign Knob 1" box, and delete what is currently in those boxes.

Next, press the newly emptied boxes "+" symbol. Then scroll to"Volume". Make sure "Source" is set to "AsgnKnob 1". Curve Type should be "Standard"(or whatever you wish), Polarity to "Uni", Ratio to +32, Param 1 to "5". These can all be modified to your taste/need, but it should get you in the door.

Now see if the S Knob works!

Posted : 10/09/2016 2:22 pm
Eminent Member

Brandon, thank you so much.. I followed the instructions you listed step by step and it worked out great. I was trying to put together DX Mellow and Strings, and control the strings volume with the Super Knob.
I will print your instructions out and keep them. Again Brandon, thank you so very much... Really appreciated

Posted : 10/09/2016 6:45 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

well this is very strange. for me fading in the volume from 0 to full with a uni wave absolutely does not work. with this one it only gets louder but does not start at zero. only the bipolar wave set to +63 works, just like in blog 5.

well actually it works but only when I set the part volume to zero. which is an extra programming step. so why not just use a bipolar wave?

Posted : 10/09/2016 7:28 pm
Brandon
Topic starter

You are very welcome! I was only able to help you because somebody else helped me. I love this forum! Thank you Yamaha!

Posted : 10/09/2016 8:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

As a follow-up:

Calling Yamaha I confirmed that the AWM2 voice initializes to not respond to velocity changes which was what sent me down the rabbit hole of thinking something was out of wack.

Therefore, no problems with executing the previous instructions -- and it looks like they match everyone else's.

As a side note - the Yamaha rep on the phone also agreed that it was a poor choice to have the initialized voice default as NOT velocity sensitive.

Posted : 11/09/2016 8:58 pm

Now highlight whatever is in the box or boxes on the next line below "Display Filter-Assign Knob 1" box, and delete what is currently in those boxes.

Brandon, when you mention deleting what is currently there... wouldn't we be deleting some setting that is already being used by that performance/part? I have been trying to merge muti performances and would like to control the volume with the super knob of that merged performance (2 parts). But what I noticed, those parts already have values in Display Filter - Assign Knob 1 (e.g velocity or other effects). Can I simply add another knob to do volume control?

Posted : 29/09/2016 11:10 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry I was on vacation when this thread started (and since I get about 75-90 emails a day I'm still digging out from under it all).

A few things:

DISPLAY FILTER - is just that, it allows you to view what is assigned as to the Source Controller. For example, setting the Display Filter to "All" will allow you to see all Source/Destination Control Sets (four per Page, four Pages - as there can be 16 per Part). Setting it to Mod Wheel will show just what is assigned to the MW.

Uni Polarity - the controller movement goes in one direction. That much is easy. If the initial Part Volume is 96 and you have a Standard Curve, Ratio +XX (positive value), you will only be able to increase the Volume UP from 96... Toward maximum. And then back down to 96. The Part Volume starting at 96 defines the point of origin - you can move in one direction and back, from that start point.

If you want to make it control the full range of Volume, then simply set the Part Volume = 0
Now, again, you can change the volume in one direction, but now it starts from 0 and moves in one direction toward maximum and back down to 0. This is how it works in Motif, MOXF, etc.

Bi Polarity - simply allows you set the start volume at 96, but now your controller can move both lower and higher than that start point. Bi directional. It actually is that simple and that complex.

Uni Polarity is how the Control Sets in the XF worked. Bi Polarity allows much more flexible control- and is worth the head scratching once you get your head around it. The key is that start point for the parameter (volume) in the example above.

...when you mention deleting what is currently there... wouldn't we be deleting some setting that is already being used by that performance/part? I have been trying to merge muti performances and would like to control the volume with the super knob of that merged performance (2 parts). But what I noticed, those parts already have values in Display Filter - Assign Knob 1 (e.g velocity or other effects). Can I simply add another knob to do volume control?

When merging Performances, it is important to understand that they truly do merge and become one Multi Part Performance with one set of COMMON/Audio parameters.

This means the Performance you start with maintains it Common/Audio level settings (the "merged" item does not). This level of the architecture is where the Super Knob programming (links) occur. You can understand quickly that the program you merge will need to establish new links to the Super Knob.

While all Part Control Assignments are brought along, the link to the Super Knob must be established in the newly merged Performance.

So your thought is correct... You can add another Knob, if available.
The Common/Audio Edit parameters has 16 Source/Destination Control Sets
Each Part has 16 Source/Destination Control Sets.

It pays to explore what is already assigned to the Super Knob. The articles do show you how to find this information out.

Press [EDIT]
Press the upper [COMMON] button
You are now on the Common/Audio level of the architecture.
Touch "Control" > "Control Assign"
Here you can see the links from Part Assign Knobs to the Super Knob

Say you see "Part 1 Assign 1"
This means the Super Knob is going to control whatever is assigned to Part 1's AssignKnob#1

You should then navigate to that location and see what it is:
Press [PART SELECT 1]
Touch "Common" in the lower left corner of the screen
Touch "Mod/Control" > "Control Assign"
Set the DISPLAY FILTER so you can view Assign Knob 1

Turning Assign Knob 1 will allow you to Control that parameter directly
Turning the Super Knob will move that Knob as well. You may notice that the Super Knob might move the parameter a different distance (but that's a different rabbit hole)

But exploring what the programmer did can help you decide what you can add, what you can get rid of, and generally helps you start to systematically "learn" what's going on.

Hope that helps. You can't just read the tutorials, you have to press the buttons and twist the knobs while reading through the article - so you can both see and hear what happens. Don't be afraid to explore.

You may find that a seemingly mild mannered Part turns into a wicked ripping sound by simply moving some of the Assign Knobs directly when you select a Part

Example: Explore "FM PWM Pad"
Starts out as your typical FM pulse width modulation string pad, lots of Assignable Knob assignments can turn this into something very, very different.

Posted : 30/09/2016 1:23 am
Brandon
Topic starter

vince wrote:

Brandon, when you mention deleting what is currently there... wouldn't we be deleting some setting that is already being used by that performance/part? I have been trying to merge muti performances and would like to control the volume with the super knob of that merged performance (2 parts). But what I noticed, those parts already have values in Display Filter - Assign Knob 1 (e.g velocity or other effects). Can I simply add another knob to do volume control?

Vince, I'm sorry I hadn't checked the thread in a while, and didn't realize you posted a question. I see that BM addressed your question. Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't avoiding you. 🙂

Posted : 02/10/2016 2:56 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us