Notifications
Clear all

Snare Drum Sample Layers

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey Guys,

At the moment I am focusing on drums. I have loaded and set up several kits with my WAV samples.

All is great but I'd like to have as many layers on the snare as possible.

I have adjusted the velocity. I trigger the Montage sounds on my Yamaha electronic drum kit.

Any suggestions would be great.

I don't understand the multi versus single aspects very well.

Thanks!!

Posted : 30/07/2018 2:40 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

"Multi versus single" seems to be missing a word to describe what you're talking about. I assume you mean multi-sample, is this correct?

Although not specifically for Montage - the following article should help with "big picture" concepts:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/motifxf-category/what-is-a-drum-voice-1

Posted : 30/07/2018 3:19 pm
Topic starter

Hey Jason,

Yes, Multi-Sample.

Thanks for the resource. I will definitely read it πŸ™‚

Posted : 30/07/2018 3:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

In general (AWM2), a Yamaha Waveform should contain a minimum of one sample and maximum 512 samples (256 stereo samples = 256x2). A keybank holds either one sample (for mono) or two samples (for stereo). Keybanks can be both velocity and note limited which allows for assigning samples to map to key(s) or respond to a given velocity level range.

A drum sound with no variation in timbre (outside of the result of effects) between a slow and fast velocity strike ("soft" and "hard" ) would be a candidate for a single sample. Use of multi-sample in drum PARTs would be for velocity variation as each piano key mapped to its own sample set. The article differentiates drum PARTs from "normal" non-drum PARTs by the stacking property. Drum PARTs are vertically stacked - meaning multiple samples are for velocity variation while "normal" PARTs are vertically and horizontally stacked (horizontal meaning one sample can cover multiple keys).

Posted : 30/07/2018 4:30 pm
Bad Mister

Hey Guys,

At the moment I am focusing on drums. I have loaded and set up several kits with my WAV samples.

All is great but I'd like to have as many layers on the snare as possible.

I have adjusted the velocity. I trigger the Montage sounds on my Yamaha electronic drum kit.

Any suggestions would be great.

I don't understand the multi versus single aspects very well.

Thanks!!

Depending on which β€œYamaha electronic drum kit” you may find different options for layering via MIDI... as you go up the product line your options for layering often change. In the Yamaha DTX electronic drum kit line β€œlayering” can, typically, be done by assigning multiple MIDI Notes to be triggered by a single Pad... (the notes can be alternated or layered)
For example you could set the snare Pad to send two or more different Note-On events on a channel... this way you can have the receiving device mapped so that you create the layering.

If you want to build a three or four or five-way layered snare you can set your DTX module to send three or four different Note-Ons triggering three or four or five Keys on the MONTAGE to accomplish the layer you desire.

Posted : 30/07/2018 4:39 pm
Topic starter

Jason,

Thanks, that helps!!

Posted : 30/07/2018 6:57 pm
Topic starter

Hey Bad Mister,

I think you just gave me some crucial keys I was hoping for. I have the DT Xpress.

Thanks so much!!

Posted : 30/07/2018 6:57 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us