Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sound design ... is anyone using the AWM2 to create real Analog sounding patches

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi there,

I’m still getting to grips with the Montage – I admit I am a real newbie but I have ears and can appreciate that it comes packed with some great sounds.

My question is regarding sound design. Is anyone out there using the AWM2 to program patches that sound analog and if so can you throw up some links to your work? Please do not direct me to professional sound libraries.

Admittedly I am just using the Montage’s stock patches at the moment and have not ventured further than adding an arp (still getting my head around things). It’s just that from the sounds I have heard so far, I am not sure the Montage is capable of ‘phat’ analog sounds.

Everything to my ears sounds pretty clean and digital, there just does not seem to be any rawness. Yesterday I used an ‘analog’ preset and I was a little underwhelmed as it was missing the warmth and additional harmonics expected from analog emulation.

The synth has been released for a couple of month and I’d be interested to hear from anybody who is actually using the synth for sound design and what they have achieved and think the machine is capable of in terms of the AWM2 engine + filters. I purposely am leaving out the FM2 engine until there is a tutorial available online as it’s too complicated for my level of experience currently.

Posted : 28/07/2016 12:10 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Nice one Chris!! Really looking forward to checking this out 🙂

Posted : 29/07/2016 9:00 am
Hans-Peter

Hi Tyron,

My question is regarding sound design. Is anyone out there using the AWM2 to program patches that sound analog and if so can you throw up some links to your work? Please do not direct me to professional sound libraries.

a few years ago I had the opportunity to reproduce some sample based voices for EASY SOUNDS, Germany. The original samples were taken from Jupiter, Oberheim and some more. I used the ROM Waveforms AWM (without 2) from MOTIF XF series to rebuild these sounds. Since AWM2 contains all waveforms from AWM and of course much more you maybe can take this as an example of what is possible with the AWM2 sound engine.

Sound Programming Demo 2

Hope you like it, have a great weekend ...

Posted : 30/07/2016 9:18 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Hans-Peters, Didn't realise that you could create such sounds. Very interesting and I am hopefully of delving into the sound design aspect shortly

Posted : 31/07/2016 9:09 am

Hans-Peter, you are my new hero 🙂
I've been a gigging wedding/club musician for 7 years now (not much compared to your experience 🙂 ). My setup always consisted of one Korg or Roland rompler for bread'n'butter sounds (I stayed away from the Motif line because I thought the limitation of 4 timbres per performance was very limiting) and one virtual analog synth (started with the Radias, then switched to Nord Lead, and later to the Virus TI). I always thought that having a flexible virtual analog was neccessary in order to faithfully reproduce all those iconic analog synth sounds, because the rompler keyboards just can't do it right.
Your video demonstrations have made me seriously question this way of thinking...I have NEVER heard such good emulations of analog synths on a digital hardware synthesizer. The Virus comes close...but it has a very distinct, dark character so it can't sound as bright and full in the top end like some of your sounds.
I still consider the Motif XF very limiting because of it being 4-timbral, but I think that the Montage loaded with the Phat analog libraries will finally be a one-keyboard solution for me.
Really, thank you 🙂

Posted : 01/08/2016 9:56 am

Hi Dimitrije,
you are wrong. The Motif and also the S90 (in xs, ff, es and Classic versions) were capable too be 16 part multitimbral.
But only in the Mixing Mode. I use this in a cover band 10 years with only the Motif.
Works perfect together with the Master Mode.
Kind regards
Chris

Posted : 01/08/2016 5:51 pm

Hi Chris,
I must admit that I don't know much about the Mixing mode possibilities. I'm aware that it exists, but in manuals it is always described as a mode dedicated for sequencing songs, while the Performance mode is advertised as the default mode "for playing multiple voices from the keyboard", so I assumed that Mixing mode is not practical for live use. I'm curious now - How many Mixing mode setups can you save? And how fast can you change from one setup to the other? And how many insert effects can you use in this mode?
(I apologize to the OP for going a bit off topic here 🙂 )
Regards,
Dimitrije

Posted : 02/08/2016 10:01 am
Hans-Peter

Hey Dimitrije,

Dimitrije wrote:
Your video demonstrations have made me seriously question this way of thinking...I have NEVER heard such good emulations of analog synths on a digital hardware synthesizer.
I still consider the Motif XF very limiting because of it being 4-timbral, but I think that the Montage loaded with the Phat analog libraries will finally be a one-keyboard solution for me.
Really, thank you 🙂

... thanks so much for your kind words. Has been a while I had the time to write ...

Dimitrije wrote:
I'm curious now - How many Mixing mode setups can you save? And how fast can you change from one setup to the other? And how many insert effects can you use in this mode?

MOTIF series can hold up to 128 Mixings, 64 for Songs and 64 for Pattern. Each Mixing can have assigned up to 8 insert effects. These are the points where MONTAGE has so much more to offer. We have 640 Performances in the user memory and each of it can have 17 insert effects (16 for Parts and 1 for the A/D Input). Not to forget another 8 Library memories which can hold up to 640 Performances each! 😉 So if you haven't yet ... go for it.

Have a nice Sunday,

hp

Posted : 14/08/2016 7:30 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us