Still Struggling with "Mastering Montage Video Series"

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Phil
 Phil
Eminent Member
Topic starter

You may recall that I asked for help in a different thread and that was helpful, thanks. However, the videos are so old (early 2017) that I am wondering if there is a better alternate to learn.

Here are my difficulties:

1. The navigation and pages look different with the latest updates. I am spending more time trying to navigate than getting watching the videos.
2. I cannot find the links to download the performances used in the videos (but at this late stage, would they help anyway?).
3. I need to learn how the Assignable Knobs, Common, Parts, Effects and the Super Knob relate. I can watch one video and get some idea, but then when actually picking a real-world performance, the relationships between parts, effects, knobs and Super Knob is unfamiliar and gets totally overwhelming. Trying previous instructions gets me totally unusable results. I can't accomplish the most easy morphing between parts with the Super Knob.

I am actually reasonably smart, a CEO, have highly technical video skills, play piano, guitar, bass, know basic synth theory, etc. but am spending dozens of hours on these tutorials (mainly the early videos) and remain stuck with just surface knowledge.

I am determined to remain positive, so I need a plan to move forward. Should I be working with newer tutorial videos? If so where do I start?

I hope I am not a pest,
Thanks,
Phil

Posted : 21/10/2019 8:41 pm
Manuel
Eminent Member

Hi, I'm checking all the tutorials too, 'cause I never did it before.
You can find the examples performances in the tutorial Mastering MONTAGE 1: The Super Knob, at page 8 of the Montage section (I added a screenshot where in the page you can download the file).

If you watch the videos beware that they are messed up!

Mastering MONTAGE 1: The Super Knob goes with Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Basics (part 1)

Mastering MONTAGE 2: Super Knob Common goes with Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Basics (part 2)

Mastering MONTAGE 3: Super Knob Unipolar goes with Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Deep Dive (part 1) + (part 2) and Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Deep Dive (part 4) - the one that's 5:02 min long

Mastering MONTAGE 4: Super Knob Bipolar goes with Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Deep Dive (part 5) - the one that's 3:51 min long

Mastering MONTAGE 5: Super Knob Morph goes with Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Deep Dive (part 4) - the one that's 8:18 min long

Mastering MONTAGE 9: Controller Box Switches goes with Mastering MONTAGE: The Super Knob: Deep Dive (part 5) - the one that's 5:43 min long

Attached files

Posted : 22/10/2019 6:00 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

MODX has slightly different menus when it comes to some things - but when MODX was released - Montage had already been through many firmware updates past when the "Mastering Montage" material was produced. You may find the MODX tutorials match your screens more.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/mastering-modx-article-series

It'd probably be even more clumsy - but you could always ask the forum for help on specific roadblocks when trying to follow the video series.

Posted : 22/10/2019 6:19 am
Bad Mister

1. The navigation and pages look different with the latest updates. I am spending more time trying to navigate than getting watching the videos.
2. I cannot find the links to download the performances used in the videos (but at this late stage, would they help anyway?).
3. I need to learn how the Assignable Knobs, Common, Parts, Effects and the Super Knob relate. I can watch one video and get some idea, but then when actually picking a real-world performance, the relationships between parts, effects, knobs and Super Knob is unfamiliar and gets totally overwhelming. Trying previous instructions gets me totally unusable results. I can't accomplish the most easy morphing between parts with the Super Knob.

The written articles accompanying the video will have updated screen shots. There is a link to the Download in virtually every article.

If you don’t stop the video at the end of a segment, the next video just plays. But if you stop the video at the end, the next article should have the next video. The articles really do require you download the file EXAMPLES.X7U (It comes zipped, unzip it and load it to your User Bank after making a User File from your current data).

If you start with the introductory article: Mastering MONTAGE: Getting Started
You should be able to step through each article one-after-the-other.

Posted : 22/10/2019 7:54 am
Phil
 Phil
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you!

Posted : 25/10/2019 8:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us