10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

OS 1.5

Performance Category: Sound FX, Performance: FM Landscapes

UPDATE: Happens with Performance Flix Flux FM under Drums/Perc as well. It sounds like a tone is sustaining by itself

Issue- When Playing a chord or pressing Audition button on, then off the performance sticks. Disengaging Arp on/off and Motion Sequence on/off buttons stops Superknob modulating, but does not stop the Performance.

Easiest way to duplicate is simply audition the performance, then try to stop it by pressing Audition button again.

While performance was stuck I switched to adjacent performance called FM Flight and the stuck notes carried over to that performance as well.

Discovered that nomatter what performance you switch to, the stuck notes will remain until you switch to a 3rd performance.

Not a huge issue right now but wondering if it could lead to problems later on...

Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks a lot.:)

Posted : 23/02/2017 6:02 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Fess - Oh yes, I've come across a number like that, but not so far in the 'Preset' range. Exactly as you say - what I do is tap the next two Pfs (MUST be 2 - 1 won't do it), and then delete the offender (which you can't do in Presets). I just assume it's a glitch in the programming, which so far has not caused regret.

Posted : 23/02/2017 8:03 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey Rod, agreed-definitely no regrets here. Love the Montage. Funny though that it's happening in my Presets and not yours...

Ah well, back to the lab:)

Posted : 23/02/2017 8:26 pm
Bad Mister

Sounds like an Auto Knob Motion Sequence set to Loop. MS can be set to one shot or to loop endlessly. Those set to loop endlessly will/may continue to sound, if this is not what you desire you can edit the Motion Sequence to suit your needs.

In a similar fashion to how moving from an Arpeggiator Performance to one with no Arps sounds anything but seamless it is not due to anything more than the loss of the Arps. As soon as you move to the new sound no more input is provided to the Arpeggiators so they abruptly stop. Not the techs fault as much as a bad candidate for seamless switching. You could however, prepare by editing the Performance and create an arpeggio (end phrase) for the purpose of your specific transition.

With Motion Sequences, they are triggered usually by note-on, and in a similar behavior to an audio sample set to playback the MS once triggered will complete its Cycle (which can be several minutes in length or if tempo driven as long as 64 measures) and since Motion Sequences can be set to Loop, they may continue endlessly into the next Part. But if you require to move from a Performance with a MS, you can adjust it for use in SSS - simply edit how it is set to respond.

"Flix Flux FM" has an Auto Knob Motion Sequencer with a very long Cycle (Speed =8) and it is set to Loop. This means this MS may continue indefinitely... if the LOOP is set OFF, you will notice that although Speed = 8 does take some amount of time, the MS will finally fade out (let go) after SSS to another Performance.

You may also find Delay Effects with super high Feedback setting cause very long decays (easily mistaken for a hung note), and when added on top of a MS set to LOOP, I think you'll find is what is going on. There is also a Freeze function which can capture a beat of audio and repeat it - Motion Sequences, Delay, and Beat Repeat effects are just three of the possible reasons for what seem like hung notes. All of these are independent from releasing keys or releasing the Sustain pedal.

Posted : 24/02/2017 3:58 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Fess - I've not come across it in Presets, but that's chance. From BM's (good morning BM) post they're probably there! I see a pitched drone in the background could be useful, but I still don't understand why it doesn't stop when you change to another Pf with different parameters? Unless the Programmer is allowing you a little leeway? But 99% of the time, it's a Pain ...

Posted : 24/02/2017 8:05 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Any time you have to switch through 2 performances to get something to stop - this is SSS in action. If you switched to a performance with anything in PARTs 9-16, then this would immediately stop the sound since performances with non-empty PARTs 9-16 disengage SSS.

Posted : 24/02/2017 11:31 am
Bad Mister

Rod wrote:

Hello Fess - I've not come across it in Presets, but that's chance. From BM's (good morning BM) post they're probably there! I see a pitched drone in the background could be useful, but I still don't understand why it doesn't stop when you change to another Pf with different parameters? Unless the Programmer is allowing you a little leeway? But 99% of the time, it's a Pain ...

You are the programmer once you own the synth. There are many cases where you might want the Motion Sequence to overlap into the next sound. If you do not, set the LOOP = OFF, then after transition the MS completes its current Cycle and then stops. But if set to Loop it will likely Loop, painful or not, understand that it a choice you can make. The CYCLE of a Motion Sequence can be 64 Measures in length, if tempo is used, and at extremely slow speeds can be extremely long decays (I'm talking several minutes)... this is also true if you set a sound to have multiple repeats or 20-30 seconds of decay on the Reverb, you should not be surprised when the delay repeats or Reverb trail carries well into your transition. Unlike releasing keys or releasing the Sustain pedal these effects are not ended by that action, rather, they continue until they complete their programmed 'cycle'...

Work a bit with Motion Sequences, you'll find that nothing prevents you programming a MS to loop, but recognize and become aware, if you're going to use it in a SSS situation, what it is programmed to do. It's that kind of thing. Painful or not. There should be no expectation that all Performances work the same - certainly transitioning from strings to piano is smooth as silk, going from a Performance with both Arps and Motion Sequences active to another that may or may not contain any such things (or is programmed to different tempo) is not always going to be a good musical decision, but it is one that YOU have a say in. Painful reality.

If you were using SSS to move between two Performances with Arps - you'd probably "know" to edit the tempo, to smooth the transition, now you know you should also edit the MS. It movement continues across the transition (which is a feature) ... use it. If you don't want to reprogram the MS (either because you need it the way it is while performing it) recognize that much like a Performance with a solid Drum groove, it makes a poor choice as a candidate to seamlessly transition to something else. You can, as pointed out by Jason, defeat SSS completely - as a sort of panic stop.

Posted : 24/02/2017 1:31 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey thread-peeps, thanks for explaining the performance-switching behaviors. I'm sure I'll find a few more with possible drones, loops and long envelope/reverb decays etc. I had assumed that pressing the Audion button (on-off) would switch them on/off entirely. The SSS was just noticeably intrusive to the sound character when switching the previously-mentioned performances. Now that I know how to control it, no worries at this point.

BM, you were right about lovin' it. Thinking about downsizing now for real- something I thought I'd never say, but this synth really is something else. It's a really great tool for making music and really helps with the process.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it.:)

Posted : 24/02/2017 2:07 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello BM - thanks for explaining it from a musical aspect - I grasp your point, but still find it extraordinary, speaking just as an amateur soundsmith. Certainly the loop function is useful, but I would expect the soundsmith to leave that choice to the musician. I'll check for 'loop' next time I come across a 'painful' example! Full of surprises, this gadget ...

Posted : 24/02/2017 2:11 pm
Bad Mister

Alternative method:
Before transitioning from Performance with MS to one without, press the MOTION SEQUENCE/MANUAL [1] + [2] simultaneously to defeat the Motion Sequencer. Be careful of tempo driven Effects with very slow tempos... FM Landscapes for example, has tempo delays, high Feedback on those delays and tempo is 7 BPM... It's not a "hung Note" situation, it simply is doing what's programmed.

Posted : 24/02/2017 2:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us