Notifications
Clear all

Sustain Pedal / Pro Tools

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 al
Topic starter

I am sure there is a simple answer, but I am a complete Bobo when it comes to MIDI assignments.

Here is my problem. I have a sustain pedal connected to the Foot Switch/Sustain jack. It works as it should. I notice however, when recording in Pro Tools, if I press the Foot Switch, the pan on my click track moves from pan Center to pan Right. How do I turn that off?

Posted : 05/08/2019 5:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Typically, when one is describing what they're pressing, the sustain pedal will not be referred to as a "foot switch" - even if you do have a simple footswitch connected there. It can lead to some ambiguity.

Just to be sure -- you only mention using the rear connection for a sustain pedal - so I am thinking you mean that when you press the sustain pedal this click track panning happens. Is that right? Because Montage has a footswitch connection (which is not sustain) and that would have many more possibilities in terms of settings.

Assuming you're pressing the sustain pedal when this happens - the sustain pedal is going to transmit a MIDI CC 64.

On Pro Tools - you would look for the assignment for what MIDI CC 64 does and perhaps find it's assigned to click track panning.

This seems more of a Pro Tools question than one related to Montage. At least once you know which CC is being transmitted.

Posted : 05/08/2019 7:31 pm
 al
Topic starter

Yes that is correct, I have a sustain pedal connected to the foot switch jack labeled Sustain on the back of the Montage.

Posted : 05/08/2019 7:59 pm
Bad Mister

Likely you have improperly routed MIDI from your MONTAGE. Use MONTAGE Port 1 only for sending MIDI data into your DAW.

If you opted to also Send MONTAGE Port 2 to Destinations in your DAW — These are meant to be kept discreet, as Port 2 is used for Remote Control Surface commands... where seemingly simply commands are retasked to operate the software.

The MONTAGE address 3 Ports
Port 1 for music, notes, controllers, tempo
Port 2 for DAW Remote communication
Port 3 for an external device connected to MONTAGE’s 5-pin MIDI jacks.

Posted : 05/08/2019 8:03 pm
 al
Topic starter

Thanks, that was the problem. I actually followed the instructions from a Pro Tools site (see below).

Create two entries:
Set the type to [HUI], and set the [Receive From] to MONTAGE 1 and [Send To] to MONTAGE 1
Set the type to [HUI], and set the [Receive From] to MONTAGE 2 and [Send To] to MONTAGE 2

They did not break it out as nicely as you did. I need to get better about reading the Yamaha documentation. I noticed that the 2.5 Supplementary Manual had all the info I needed.

Posted : 06/08/2019 1:58 pm
Bad Mister

Al,
You may want to give your feedback to those running the Pro Tools site, may save others some grief! Thanks.

Posted : 08/08/2019 10:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us