Clear all

Timpani Roll voice/sound/performance in need

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Vu
Topic starter

Hi Montage users,
I need a Timpani Roll voice/sound/performance just as in Project Sam's Orchestral Essential 2 (VST for Kontakt, preset " Timpani Hits and Rolls")
Montage does not have any Timpani Roll preset as far as I know.
Please show me where to get it. ( from a Library, waveform, vst...?)
If I have to convert/import/edit... from this VST, please show me steps to do it in Montage.
Thank you very much!

Posted : 17/12/2018 9:58 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Montage users,
I need a Timpani Roll voice/sound/performance just as in Project Sam's Orchestral Essential 2 (VST for Kontakt, preset " Timpani Hits and Rolls" )
Montage does not have any Timpani Roll preset as far as I know.
Please show me where to get it. ( from a Library, waveform, vst...?)
If I have to convert/import/edit... from this VST, please show me steps to do it in Montage.
Thank you very much!

Hi Vu,
Here’s how to find what you’re looking for.

From the HOME screen:
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set Main = Chromatic Perc
Set Sub = Mallet
Use the down cursor, find “Real Timpani AF Mfl”
Press [ENTER] to return to the HOME screen

Turn the main [ARP ON/OFF] On
Using the bottom row of right front panel buttons “ARP SELECT” to switch between the various assigned timpani rolls

Below you can see the "ROLLS" - you can also create your own Timpani Rolls and store them as Arpeggio phrases. By making the "roll" available as an Arpeggio Phrase they are tempo adjustable independent of changing the pitch. If you have a Sample that is a timpani roll, it is always at a fixed, pre-recorded rate; which if adjusted would impact pitch of the drums. As an Arp you can still independently tune the Timpani and you still adjust the speed of the roll as necessary to match the tempo of what is happening. The Timpani Performance is at quarter note = 120

You can use "Category Search" to search for additional rolls...

Posted : 17/12/2018 11:22 pm
 Vu
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,
Thanks for helping me find the performance.
This "Real Timpani AF Mfl" is not rolling timpani sound, it is just timpani.
I need rolling timpani. Where can I get it please?
Thanks man!

Posted : 17/12/2018 11:29 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Bad Mister,
Thanks for helping me find the performance.
This "Real Timpani AF Mfl" is not rolling timpani sound, it is just timpani.
I need rolling timpani. Where can I get it please?
Thanks man!

Please read closely the above... ?
Please try it.

Posted : 17/12/2018 11:33 pm
 Vu
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,
Sorry it's my mistake! I did not read your answer completely. 😮
Now I can pull that rolling timpani out, I have another question:
I need to play a crescendo rolling timpani then play a big tutti orchestra sound. When the rolling timpani sounds, no orchestra/tutti should be heard, then when the tutti comes, no rolling timpani any more, only timpani play in unison with orchestra sound.
How can I set up the Montage to do that please? I might have to use many buttons that Montage has, such as Assign buttons, Motion Seq, Super Knob, and more...
I use the performance "Semi Finale" from Motif XF.
Thanks a lot Bad Mister!

Posted : 18/12/2018 5:58 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure what your range of notes is for the timpani while rolling vs. not rolling. I would think you can cover most of this with 8 white keys. 4 for roll and 4 for non-rolled. Use the ARP note range to limit the 4 keys with roll and non-roll fall outside of this note range. There are other options for pitch behavior. I say to setup like this because I wouldn't want to fool with turning ARP on and off - although you can use a foot controller and assign it to ARP SW if that doesn't "step" on something you already have setup for your footswitch (since it's a global setting). In which case you can probably use 4 keys - or not dedicate one series for arp vs. non-arp.

The crescendo is best covered by a "swell" pedal (expression). There are lots of ways to get this to work for you so only the timpani responds to the pedal assuming that's what you want.

Since the timpani has its own note range - you would be in control of the orchestra sound vs. timpani roll. If you have two ranges of keys for roll vs. non roll - you just switch regions for timpani. If you use the footswitch, you click that when the orchestra starts to stop the rolling thunder.

There are plenty of other options too. Motion sequence or superknob automation could be handling the crescendo for you if the timing is not variable either relative to tempo or a more absolute time you set and use a non-clock timer. Depending on how long the roll needs to last - your ARP could cover the crescendo of the roll with recorded velocities. I'm not sure if the built-in ones have this - but you could make a user ARP with a velocity ramp.

Posted : 18/12/2018 7:59 am
Bad Mister

I need to play a crescendo rolling timpani then play a big tutti orchestra sound. When the rolling timpani sounds, no orchestra/tutti should be heard, then when the tutti comes, no rolling timpani any more, only timpani play in unison with orchestra sound.

That description is far too general. You wouldn’t hand that description to the London Symphony (lol) — I'm going to assume the natural crescendo roll in Arp 2 is not what you want... so work it out musically for yourself... or describe why it’s not what you want (notate it, if you have something specific you desire). There are so many possibilities.

Suggestions:
_ You can Note Limit which Key (or Keys) trigger the Timpani “roll”
_ You can also Velocity Limit the region that triggers the Timpani “roll”.
_ You could use Aftertouch or assign a controller to artificially create the crescendo.
_ You could use a Motion Sequence Curve to manipulate Part Volume over time. The current Arp #1 is an endless looping roll... a MSeq that smoothly swells the the Part Volume can be fashioned and assigned to play on demand.

But, without a score, no one could possibly know what you are going for exactly. And exactness matters!
Because the roll data is in Arpeggio form you can mold it, swing it, requantize it, shape its play volume, etc. As you get a bit closer to what you want, if you get stuck making an assignment, we can help you — but there are simply too many directions to go in with such a small description.

The Motion Sequencer — you’d need to describe over how many measures or beats you’d need the crescendo to last. Then fashion or select a Curve to adjust the Part Volume.

Experiment by applying some basic MS settings you’ll find it’s a great way to learn the Synthesizer.

Posted : 18/12/2018 8:12 am
 Vu
Topic starter

I want to play something like the attachment below:

Posted : 18/12/2018 10:51 am
 Vu
Topic starter

I can do this example easily on Cubase by putting rolling timpani and orchestra tutti (with no-roll timpani) on 2 separate tracks. (record two times)
I wonder if I can assign this rolling timp to one voices (of 8 voice of a Montage performance) and the other 7 voices are assigned to orchestra voices, and set it up like, when I play the roll, all orchestra voices are muted; and when I play the orchestra voices, the rolling timp will be cut off.
If I put the roll on an assign button or super knob, my hands might not move quickly enough to stop the button then continue to play orchestra voices on the keyboard.

Posted : 18/12/2018 11:19 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

High velocity arp for roll will work so you can overlap measires 1-3,5,7 (non roll, lower velocity) with measures 4 and 6 (high velocity). Use expression for volume or can automate this with MS (motion sequence) as a non-loop cycle or set of cycles. As mentioned before, arp can have the crescendo inside of it to do both. If the preset ARPs do not work for this, then it may be more difficult (or not, depends on you) to create the ARP as you want vs. dealing with MS. If using MS, it too would be triggered by velocity so the volume offsets would only be applied for the rolled notes and not others.

Since Montage has more automation dimensions than previous gens - there are more options that all end up producing the same general result depending on how much you want to program vs. perform (manually control).

Posted : 18/12/2018 7:39 pm
 Vu
Topic starter

Thanks Jason and Bad Mister for showing me various ways to do the task.
I'm trying them now :-))

Posted : 19/12/2018 6:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us