Touch response

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Sorry if this is another obvious one, but I can't find any help in the Manuals. Again! Different programmers seem to give different volume levels to their machinations, so a light touch sometimes produces a window-bending roar, while the next preset requires quite a heavy thump to hear it at all. (Exaggeration, as usual, but you get the idea!). 'Touch response' doesn't appear in the Owner's index, and there's no index at all in the Reference. I'm sure there must be a means of regulating touch response, so would any kind soul direct me to the appropriate place, please? It appears that Yamaha make no attempt to equalise the volume levels? Would that be a bad thing? Can be very dodgy if you wear headphones!

Posted : 17/08/2016 6:41 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

The information on changing the global touch sensitivity of the instrument is on page 47 of the owners manual. There is also information on adjusting the sensitivity of individual parts in a performance by altering the Velocity Depth and Velocity Offset parameters on page 60 of the reference manual.

In addition you might find that the individual sound may have velocity limited elements. For example Beauty Harp has 2 elements, each using the same waveform but with element 2 set at lower velocities and element 1 with a filter that makes the sound brighter set at the higher velocities. In this instance you could adjust the point at which the velocity triggers each element in a way that better suited your style of playing. This is quite a simple example - other sounds may have a wider range of velocity switched elements - once you delve a bit deeper and see how a sound has been programmed it is easier to adjust it to your specific purposes.

Posted : 17/08/2016 7:52 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Phil - I thought it must be there somewhere, but it's not in the Index under either 'Touch Response' or 'Velocity' so unless one has an encyclopaedic memory it's agonisingly long-winded finding things! But I will remember to play with the 'Utility' button as a first recourse - just a slight lateral shift in terminology does the job! Thanks also for the tip about Part velocity. I have often noticed this. Sometimes it's nice, and sometimes it's a pain, so I can now do something about it. There's a lot more to this gadget than leaps to the eye ...

Posted : 17/08/2016 8:50 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

Do you have pdf versions of the manuals? It can be more useful to search for a specific word than trying to find it in an index.

Posted : 17/08/2016 2:24 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Phil - that's a good idea. I use pdf rather than the printed word, so yes ... ain't technology wonderful ...

Posted : 18/08/2016 1:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us