Clear all

Touchscreen vs Assignable Parameter Names

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I've been going through Bad Mister's FM-X tutorials again recently. (Oddly enough, these tutorials don't seem to be tagged properly on YamahaSynth, and I had to hunt them down using Google.)

The Performances that come with those tutorials have Assignable Knobs set up to control various Performance parameters. I thought it would be useful as a learning exercise to track down the parameters controlled by the Assignable Knobs and change them directly from the touchscreen user interface as part of learning more about how FM-X works.

But it's sometimes very unclear to me how the names of those assignable parameters correspond to the names I can find in the Montage touchscreen interface (and the Reference Manual). I'm even starting to wonder if there are some assignable parameters that don't explicitly show up in the touchscreen interface.

Is there documentation somewhere of how assignable parameter names correspond (or don't) to what's visible in the touchscreen interface? If such documentation existed, it would be very useful. If it doesn't, it would be nice if someone (at Yamaha?) created it.

(I found a list of parameters in the Data List, but it wasn't useful for what I'm trying to understand.)

Posted : 03/01/2018 1:28 am
Bad Mister

The Assign Knob parameter names are the programmer’s discretion. You can call an Assign Knob “Purple” if it helps you remember what its going to do to the sound. There is not always going to be a 1:1 relationship with an Assign Knob and a parameter... often an Assign Knob might be controlling two or more parameters. So naming it sometimes is a challenge.

I recall an instance where an Assign Knob was tasked to do both OP AEG Attack and OP AEG Release... turning this one knob changed both the Attack and the Release of the Modulator, naming it “Op1 Decay” would seem appropriate since both parameters deal with the Envelope Generator and overall, turning the Knob changes how the sound decays, faster or slower... It is not a complete Envelope. The DISPLAY NAME is a “nickname” describing the general idea behind what the knob does. But you could have called the Display Name... “Fred” if that helps you remember what the Knob is tasked with doing.

Do not take the DISPLAY NAME as a parameter, there could be several parameters ganged together to a single Assign Knob... by default the Knobs are named “Assign 1”, “Assign 2”, “Assign 3”, etc.

Posted : 03/01/2018 3:39 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, but I was talking about a different set of names, not the "Display Name" ones. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant names like "OP AEG Offset" as seen in the image below.

Sometimes I can tell how those names correspond to what I can find in the touchscreen interface (in places where I can directly manipulate their values), but not always. I was wondering if there was documentation of how the names correspond, and whether for every name you can set as a Destination there's some editable parameter you can find in the touchscreen interface (and vice versa).

Posted : 03/01/2018 4:52 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've noticed a few places where I wished the terminology was more uniform (common) - so the manual would always have crystal clarity only having one name in the documentation and the GUI ("touchscreen").

It'd help if you would just list the ones you're "iffy" on.

You've mentioned "OP AEG Offset".

If you look at the data list (as you've done) - page 173 of version E0 (which released with fw v1.60) has a decoder for the long vs. short name of all assignable parameters. These, as a group, are called the "controller box" and the "OP AEG Offset" is part of the destination list while there's another "controller box" list of sources. "OP AEG Offset" as the short name has a long name of "OP1-8 EG Level Offset"

That's sort of lousy documentation - because the long name has less information than the short name. The short name shows "AEG" and the "A" is amplitude. So a better long name would be "OP1-8 Amplitude Envelope Generator Level Offset" - but maybe that's too long.

... and if you look at the FM MIDI parameters there are a bunch of levels:

AEG Attack Level
AEG Decay 1 Level
AEG Decay 2 Level
AEG Release (Hold) Level

... my theory (although it's not spelled out - as you've found) is that the level offset affects these 4 levels equally. Moving them all up or down according to the offset (and associated +x multiplier/depth).

But there is some guesswork. I did a cursory look for answers in the forum and did see the exact same question without answer before.

Something that would help would be my previous firmware request to be able to place the display in a mode where, instead of the programmed values, the offset values would be shown. This way you could turn the source controller knob (ribbon, button, wheel, etc) and see which parameters this affected by seeing the values change. You would be able to see how the values changed (how much) after going through all the various curve + multiplier offset stages. I think this would provide another "angle" to view the programming environment from and lead to more engagement. But this doesn't help right now.

Posted : 03/01/2018 6:11 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us