Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Updater problems when using Mac

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Has anyone had issues with Montage updater using Mac El Capitan 10.11.6?,when i transfer the unzipped file 8N700S to a Montage recommended USB stick it always reads NG in red on the Montage screen and fails to update. i have had to use a windows computer to load the previous updates without any problem.

Posted : 23/11/2017 8:25 pm
Bad Mister

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your own view) Mac, in its quest to make everything easy, sometimes makes things more difficult. They try to “hide” all the technical stuff from the user. You have to opt to activate it. Often Windows copies Mac and it really is an issue when you have to instruct someone on how to update a synthesizer, as an example.

I’m thinking it could be the file extension, or the lack of the underscore in the file name... both of which are extremely important.

The file is actually named 8N70OS_.PGM

That’s: Eight, letter “N”, seven, zero, letter “O”, letter “S”, underscore, dot PGM

Mac Spotlight has a cataloging system of its own that makes ghosts files of each entry (starts with a dot) usually only viewable when placed in a non-Mac device.

The file itself is not viewable from the MONTAGE screen because it is not a file it can open. The extension .PGM when encountered on power up after holding UTILITY + UP CURSOR are held, instructs the MONTAGE to find, read and proceed with the updater routine.

Be sure that you Mac does not change or alter the name of the file, the underscore must be there as shown above.

Let us know.

Posted : 24/11/2017 11:53 am
Sladjan

Also, to ensure that the usb stick is really empty, one should perform "empty trash" with the usb stick connected to the mac. That will delete also the ghost files on the stick.

Posted : 24/11/2017 1:23 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your feedback, I have had no problems with library downloads via the Mac it appears only to be the updater file that presents the problem, i am looking to resolve this with Apple.

Posted : 25/11/2017 9:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us