Notifications
Clear all

upgrade and sound import

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Thomas
Topic starter

Hy my name is Thomas from Kenya and I would like to ask how can I upgrade the OS to the recent 1.15 and a friend of mine gave me some cool sounds that are found in the Nord piano keyboard, so how can I load into the Montage 8? Thanks

Posted : 16/05/2017 9:38 am
Bad Mister

The latest firmware update is version 1.51 which you can download from the Official Yamaha Download site:

Http://download.yamaha.com

Select your country or region of the world
The Montage is listed under "Synthesizer's & Music Production Tools"
Type in the MODEL NAME: "Montage"
When the SEARCH RESULTS appear You want to find Montage OS version 1.51

The download includes the instruction on how to unzip and transfer the updated file to the root directory of a USB stick.
Make a USER FILE to save any data you may have already created with you Montage.
Power On the Montage while holding down the two buttons, as instructed. The update will proceed automatically.

The screen of the Montage will show "Completed" and you will be instructed to reboot.

The Montage cannot (nor does it need to) load any sounds from the Nord. That is not possible.

Enjoy your updated Montage.

Posted : 16/05/2017 10:00 am
Thomas
Topic starter

Thank you very much.

Posted : 16/05/2017 10:17 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Nord has a fairly closed system to their sample format. Therefore, in order to get Nord sounds into Montage you would have to sample the Nord and construct your own Yamaha-format waveforms with loop-points, at different velocities to capture all the content of Nord. This is a lot of work. It is unknown what kind of "cool sounds" you have that are different from the thousands of presets within Montage.

Yamaha and 3rd parties also supply additional "cool sounds" through Sound Libraries. So if you run through the thousands of presets - and also program all the variations of FM sounds (currently there are hundreds of thousands of "patches" which can be converted from previous FM synthesizer programs to Montage format) - then there are still options available to load more content into Montage which will require much less work than creating your own samples and own performances based on those samples.

In order to maximize your user experience, when looking at additional content, make sure to bias towards sound libraries that have specific support for the Montage. Previous generation sound libraries for the Motif XF and even older Motif synths can be used Montage - but not without caveat. Some of the older content has issues converting - so I would suggest side-stepping that issue by sticking with Montage-ready libraries.

Posted : 16/05/2017 3:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us