Notifications
Clear all

USB connectivity

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

What type of USB will work with montage8, 2.0,,3.0?will it be compatible with new mac books using thunderbolt cable?thanks!

Posted : 17/02/2017 8:03 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Mark - they must be USB2,0 as Montage doesn't have the output for 3.0, and with no partitioning or pre-programming if you want to use it for up-dates. Personally I keep a little 2Gb that does nothing but updates. Somewhere in the Reference Manual (I think) there's a list of all those that Yamaha have tested - but they don't actually guarantee that any of hem will work, For the back-up I use a 16Gb 2,0, although Yamaha have tested up to 32Gb units. I have no idea what a 'thunderbolt' cable is, so can't help there. Montage doesn't seem, to mind who it talks to, so your Macbook should be OK.

Posted : 17/02/2017 9:13 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

As already stated, Montage is USB 2.0 only. Thunderbolt is basically a trademark name wrapped around USB type-C (a connector type) and "Thunderbolt 3" implies USB 3 protocol support (among other things that do not matter to Montage). USB 3, as a standard, supports legacy USB standards - of which USB 2.0 is most important to Montage - and yes, this is supported. Since USB type-C or Thunderbolt has a different cable type than your traditional "printer cable" with a type-A male (rectangular looking connector) on one side and type-B (square boxy looking connector) on the other side - you'll need to get the proper cable to convert from the Thunderbold/type-C connector on your computer to the Type-B connector on Montage.

Something like Startech USB2CB1M

There are other ways to get there as well, such as using a USB hub with USB 2.0 support and a Thunderbolt/Type-C host port. Since Yamaha cannot be sure all hubs are built correctly (user testing has shown in general using a powered hub is fine) - they would recommend using a cable with no hub between. Also, any time you insert "hops" into the USB signal path - you could be affecting latency if using the digital audio for anything which you would prefer the lowest latency.

Posted : 17/02/2017 9:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us