Clear all

USB Hub?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I just installed the Windows driver for the Montage on my PC. The instructions were very explicit about not using a USB hub between the Montage and the PC -- a direct cable connection is required.

But I have a Surface 3 tablet that I'd also like to use with the Montage. That tablet has only one USB port. I would love to be able to use a USB hub with this tablet so that I can have both the Montage and a QWERTY keyboard hooked up to it at the same time.

Is this OK to do? Can you use a USB hub with a Montage as long as you're not installing the Windows driver?

Posted : 14/05/2016 3:50 am
Bad Mister

The instructions were very explicit about not using a USB hub between the Montage and the PC -- a direct cable connection is required.

Posted : 15/05/2016 12:29 am
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:

The instructions were very explicit about not using a USB hub between the Montage and the PC -- a direct cable connection is required.

Many, many if not most PC's have only a single USB port that functions as a hub for the 2 or 3 physicall ports.. So the hub is part of the controller... Your statement would disquallify these systems for use with the Montage... Because technically these build in hubs work the same as an externall hub... Espescially if people have added high data troughput devices like external USB Hard disks to thes ports i can see troubels indeed..

It definately would have been wiser to have build in a USB3 port... But cest la vie, people need to live with these limitations and work around.

Posted : 15/05/2016 10:58 am
Eminent Member

I am currently Have an iMac 5k OS X 10.11.4 and Have My Montage Plug into a inland USB 3.0 Model Orico A3h7 powered Hub via iMac. so far it works fine. I do not know about Windows. I do have a PC dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 but prefer to use apple Mac's.

Posted : 15/05/2016 3:35 pm
 A
Estimable Member

Your best bet is to buy a bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy) mouse and keyboard. It wont drain the battery like the older version.

Posted : 15/05/2016 3:44 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Can it harm the Montage in some way to plug it into a USB hub that in turn is plugged into the PC? I can't see how that could happen, but I'd like to make sure before I try it.

If no harm can come to the Montage, I think it's worth the experiment. The worst that can happen then is that I'll notice that the data isn't transferring properly back and forth.

But I think I'll wait until I hear back from someone who knows. I'm not looking to damage my nice new synthesizer…

Posted : 15/05/2016 11:45 pm

According to the user manual, the USB hub warning seems to apply for the USB TO DEVICE port (i.e. USB drives) and not the USB TO HOST port.

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us