usb midi and song data chaos

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi, today I decided to transfer my songs from the montage to pc with montage connect. What I found in my song folder was mysterious. 60 songs even thow I only ever recorded a handful. Impossible to figure out this chaos and find my own songs in there because they did not have names other than song number xx. So, sadly I had to erase all 60 songs and lost what I had recorded.
Then I opened some midi files from my usb stick in the montage and realized that this is where all that mysterious song data came from. Why on earth does the montage store every midi file opened from a usb stick as a song with a generic song numer xx name into its memory? This creates absolute chaos! And it´s crazy to have to erase those all one by one. Any way to deactivate this?

Posted : 04/11/2016 11:02 am
Bad Mister

Gabi,
You've had a bad experience don't make it worse by compounding it with wrong conclusions. Hopefully we can straighten some of this out for you.

Hi, today I decided to transfer my songs from the montage to pc with montage connect. What I found in my song folder was mysterious. 60 songs even thow I only ever recorded a handful.

The Montage does not only store Songs you recorded but those you load. I think if you think about this, this is exactly what it should do. Many people will purchase .mid files, others will record them in their favorite DAW and load them in.

Do you feel it should only store those that you record internally? really?

Impossible to figure out this chaos and find my own songs in there because they did not have names other than song number xx. So, sadly I had to erase all 60 songs and lost what I had recorded.

An over reaction, perhaps. Naming your files and naming your Songs is the take away here. When you record something you are given the opportunity to name your composition (recommended). When you load a .mid file it loads with the file name, those with the default "Song xx" are those YOU recorded and failed to name. I'm sure you notice that the default Song number increments each time you select a Performance and activate the Play/Recorder.

It's one of those definitions I see many people having an issue with - which is why I try to be consistent in calling it a Performance Recorder. Hopefully, you will notice now that the Song number increments when you recall a new Performance - each new Performance means you want to record a new Song.

Create your Performance before you record- -assemble the band before going to the studio!

Then I opened some midi files from my usb stick in the montage and realized that this is where all that mysterious song data came from. Why on earth does the montage store every midi file opened from a usb stick as a song with a generic song numer xx name into its memory?

It doesn't, as I just explained those with the default name/number are Songs or partial songs that you, yourself, recorded. As you get to know the Performance Recorder, you'll stop creating these "partial songs".

And if you leave the Play/Rec screen and move to something else without creating the "Song-Performance" link, you'll learn how to re-LOAD a song, by touching the name box.

This creates absolute chaos!

Well, it used to. Now that you know to name, rename or delete unwanted data, you will do so on a regular basis.

And it´s crazy to have to erase those all one by one. Any way to deactivate this?

Better, if you touch the "Job" option, in the upper right corner the option to batch select appears and you can place a check next to the items you wish to discard.

Okay, let's sum up. Always name your Songs, it gives it a generic name - and unless that works for you, know that the Play/Rec is very much one at a time. The others sit in reserve in a USER folder. Learn to use these Data Utility Folders, they hold and let you manage your internal (User) memory.

Before you started to individually delete 60 titles or any time the solution you come up with seems unduly tedious, log on to YamahaSynth and ask. If there is not a better way, request one. We'd all benefit that way. That's why we have a forum.

Hope that was helpful, in this case there is a better way. Files you loaded, automatically remain in memory, and that is a feature! (You manage them in the "Data Utility" Song folder).

Posted : 04/11/2016 8:57 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, thank you, I´m not crying about those lost recordings, I forgot what they where so probably not masterpieces. Deleting the chaos immediately was more important to me than trying to rescue my songs at that point.

But I don´t really agree to "The Montage does not only store Songs you recorded but those you load. I think if you think about this, this is exactly what it should do."

Computers never automatically save files opened from usb sticks to other locations without being told to do so. So, since I consider the Montage to be a computer because it has an OS, why should I expect it to save data from one drive to another without a command to do so? If people purchase midi files and want to save them they should, but the "save to" command is missing here. It should definitely not happen automatically in the background at all times!

And as far as the song names go, I´m sorry but my midi files on the usb stick had names. But the montage did not store them into it´s song folder under those names. It gave them song number xx names.

Posted : 04/11/2016 11:36 pm
Bad Mister

But I don´t really agree to "The Montage does not only store Songs you recorded but those you load. I think if you think about this, this is exactly what it should do."

I know that you don't agree, my point is as you get more into a workflow, you most likely will.

If you want to try out a .mid file why wouldn't you play it from your computer? Assuming you purchased it (online or however) it most likely would be on your computer initially. Even if you are creating it yourself you'd likely have it first on your computer. Open it in Cubase or your favorite DAW and make a setup in Montage. If your goal is to take it with you to a gig or performance, then load it into the Montage.

That would be a recommended workflow for .mid files, not created with the Performance Recorder.

If you have been, opening them on the Montage, please recognize (it is not a computer) it assumes you then want to store it in your folder. (I think one of the design concepts was not to duplicate things musicians were doing on the computer - instead be an extension of the work done there). And make it convenient to take the work done on the computer and let you conveniently take it to the gig.

Changing and selecting sounds for the Parts, is best handled by working with the .mid on your computer DAW, while you are free to navigate Montage... certainly not when locked in on the Play/Rec screen of the Montage. The workflow with the .mid on computer initially means you can access the [Category Search] and other functions you'll need to make the file workable.

You don't have to agree now, just make a note of it or take it with a grain of salt. I just offer it from my own experience using Montage. Thank me later. 🙂

Properly prepared MIDI files should be able to have the Song title appear. I cannot vouche for all available MIDI file (heaven forbid) but in most cases the Song title should appear.

Posted : 05/11/2016 2:26 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

actually the midi files on the usb were my own recordings, stored to usb before montage connect was available. Good that I won´t need to do that anymore. OK, now I know what I´m dealing with here regarding the USB stick workflow and I´ll always erase unwanted song files right away. But maybe, since quite a few people have asked for montage connect to not only be able to send midi from but also back to the synth, this won´t be necessary forever.

Posted : 05/11/2016 5:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us