Notifications
Clear all

USB MIDI CONTROLLER (Class Compliant) directly into USB to Device

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,
is it possibile to use a Midi Controller Class Compliant (like Oxygen, or Nanocontrol, or Nanopad, or 25 Keys Usb controllers...) direcly to Montage by USB to Device ?
I would like to use a Usb Keyboard with Montage but without using a pc to root midi signal.
In Kronos this is possible.
in Montage?
Best Regards.

Posted : 09/09/2017 10:53 am
Bad Mister

is it possibile to use a Midi Controller Class Compliant (like Oxygen, or Nanocontrol, or Nanopad, or 25 Keys Usb controllers...) direcly to Montage by USB to Device ?

No. To connect an external MIDI Controller to MONTAGE, use the standard 5-pin MIDI IN port on the back panel.

Posted : 10/09/2017 8:48 pm
Eminent Member

I noticed that when I used my midi cable to sync up a MO6 sequencer with the Montage Tempo, I couldn't use the USB to communicate to the DAW... it seems its one or the other? USB or Midi, I ll continue to use the USB, and will use the envelope follower to set the sync up between the MO6 and the Montage if I want to. Make sense?

Posted : 11/09/2017 3:51 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

When your PC is communicating through USB MIDI - you can target 5-pin MIDI din connected devices from your PC by targeting the MONTAGE-3 port. So you could address both with the PC at the same time by choosing the correct routing.

Posted : 11/09/2017 5:44 am
Bad Mister

The MONTAGE has both an audio and a MIDI interface built-in. It not only acts as both for itself when connected to a computer via a USB cable, it can act as an audio and MIDI interface for one external device connected to it's A/D Input (for audio) and to its 5-pin MIDI jacks (for MIDI).

The USB is a multi-port connection handling 32-in/6-out for audio, and three Ports of MIDI In /Out. Each MIDI port is defined as 16 channels of communication in each direction...

The three MIDI Ports are defined as follows:
Port 1 - is used by the 16 Part multi-timbales tone engine of the MONTAGE. Your DAW will address it as "Yamaha MONTAGE-1" (Port 1)
Port 2 - is currently not used
Port 3 - is for connecting one external MIDI device. Your DAW will address the external device as "Yamaha MONTAGE-3" (Port 3)

This way either keyboard can be used as a controller (an Input device to MIDI Tracks)
Either keyboard can be used to play any device in the computer environment. And with LOCAL CONTROL set to OFF, you can use them just as Control keyboards.

It's a feature, not a limitation.

Posted : 11/09/2017 3:01 pm
Eminent Member

Just perfect... THX! I will get my midi cord out... that makes so much sense 🙂 . Heres another question:

I find when using cubase and the recording templates and complex performances with more than one voice:

* Recording audio works perfect and I can assign each voice to separate usb track...
* When attempting to record midi : the performance does not play properly

I assume that when using midi I should just use single simple voices, and when using complex multi part performances I should record audio.

I find the multi part performances great for inspirational jamming..... so capturing a rough multi-track might be a great way to jump start a tune. Then I might use midi on new tracks to replace the scratch tracks.... tightening up the basic tracks.

Is this a decent assumption?? for recording complex multi part performances use audio, Midi is best suited to single part voices.

The organic ability to create with the performances I am coming up is just so much fun..... I am now trying out different workflows to see what works best for fine tuning.

I also found the latest release and short cuts to Superknob very helpful.

Posted : 12/09/2017 1:51 am
Bad Mister

Audio recording predates MIDI recording by more than a century. It is so fundamental now that other types of recording use it as a structural framework. MIDI Recording requires some additional thought. You are recording but you are not recording audio, you are simply documenting a musical performance by taking down a series of coded messages that represent the Performances gestures. Although we can place MIDI data on separate tracks, until you realize that the separate Tracks deal is not real... it's a fabrication to make it simpler for musicians to deal with. Multiple MIDI TRACKS are purely for viewing/editing convenience.

MIDI has a "channel" system to separate the data. All 16 MIDI Channels can happily coexist on a single track. We only place data on separate MIDI Tracks for convenience when editing. When attempting to record a Multi-Part MONTAGE Performance do the following:

1) Create one MIDI Track
2) Set the Out Channel on the Track Inspector = "Any" - this will allow Cubase AI to send the data back on the channel that it came in on. Therefore, if you're playing a six Part Performance like "Moving Floor" each Part will be recorded on separate channels and will be returned to the sound that made the data.

Later if you wish to edit it you can use the Cubase MIDI function "DISSOLVE PART" which will split the data out onto separate tracks.

But if you have been trying to record to multiple MIDI Tracks please realize that each MIDI Track will naturally record all incoming MIDI data. If you attempted to record a six Part Performance to six Cubase AI Tracks, you would wind up with every Part's data on every one of the tracks and it would sound like craziness... don't do that.

Create one track, set to "Any", trust me

Posted : 12/09/2017 7:19 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Certainly, for live use, Montage has a limitation where there is a group of USB-only MIDI controllers which cannot be used (without extra hardware).

It would be nice to be able to use some "nano" controllers that are USB only - but you cannot without using a computer or an additional piece of hardware (USB controller to MIDI 5-pin - something like the Kenton USB MIDI host).

The context here in the original question, however, is studio use and a specific configuration. One where the desire is to use MIDI 5-pin at the same time as a computer/DAW connection - which is possible.

Posted : 12/09/2017 3:46 pm
Eminent Member

Nice, I got Midi recording working with audio for my workflows. When using USB, and wanting to sync the sequencer clocks between the MO6 and the Montage, I still couldnt find a way... using the montage 3 device setup..... Not a big deal..., but just couldnt find a way to use USB as the selection in Montage.... and have the clock out drive the sequencer clock on MO6 using a midi cable. I am probably missing a step I am sure.

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:42 pm
Bad Mister

You want to setup the computer software to be master clock - there can be one Master clock in a MIDI system and all other devices can be made to sync to that clock. What software are you using? You should probably start your own thread - as you have hijacked Carlo's thread!

Posted : 13/09/2017 6:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us